30T chainring on Mondraker Level

Dr. Ergal

Mar 4, 2020
Italy
Hi everybody

here's my experimentaimed to install a 30t chainring on my heavy spanish panzer :LOL:
I like to use the least motor support possible; at the same time, my daily routine (I'm out from home 14hrs a day due to my work) doesn't allow me to get trained at all.
The only solution is to deploy a smaller chainring, because the pinion cassette is already good (50t)
Raceface has in its own catalogue a 30t chainring suitable for 104mm spider

Unfortunately, the standard spider on my Level does not allow such chainring to be installed
Luckily, Raceface recently introduced a brand new spider suitable for Bosch Gen4
And the aesthetic result is supercool!

1628834218099.png

The only problem is that its offset is too few, so the chainring is very close to the motor, letting the chain touch the deralleur cable and its slot

1628834283699.png

I put some shim behind the spider to distance it from the motor. It works, of course, but the problem is that the shaft is very short, and a I have a few space for the ringnut
The picture is not very effective, sorry, but I want to show that one thread remains unused even at ultimate torque. I'm afraid that this lovely package won't ne usable for may Level because of the famous issue of nut coming loose easily

BTW, I'll keep you all updated in the coming weeks; i'll (hopefylly) test the bike to detect any eventual issue

Reactions: Jph

Dr. Ergal

Mar 4, 2020
Italy
Well, I had a few opportunities to test it; however, I may (surprisingly) write that everything is fine, so far: no loosening or strange movement of the chainring, that remains firmly in position
By far, I'm totally happy and convinced

1636441193542.png

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles