2nd bike. Third motor faulty.

Unfortunatecookie

Feb 25, 2024
France
Thought I would share my misadventures with shimano. Sorry if this seems like venting but clearly Inwont be buying a bike fitted with a shimano motor again.

In october I bought my first emtb. A mondraker dusk with a shimano ep600 motor. Two weeks later, only rode less than 200km, about to hit home and the display shut off and wont turn on again. looked
at the wirings everything seemed fine. Called the shop, they were suprised anyway they took the bike and a dew days later told me the motor was sent to shimano.

Few weeks later, the motor was indeed faulty and changed through warranty. Problem none available.

A few month later, late january, finally a new motor is sent and my bike ready for pick up. It lasted 3 days of riding. same
thing happened. What a joke.

Months of waiting for nothing. The shop did me a good one and offered me a full refund. I thought myseld, bad luck lets give shimano another chance.

So mid february I buy a dusk R this time. Fitted with the ep 801.

I rode just under 900km with it. Everything was going well. Yesterday it did shut off once and did start back up when I hit the start button.

Not this afternoon though, screen went blank. Bike won’t start up anymore.

So here I am out of luck ? Or is there a real problem with the ep600 / ep801 that I’m not aware of. Before you ask, no didn’t tinker with the engine even if I had the idea to do so, I thought it was too risky to void the warranty.

The motor was never submerged, the bike didn’t get hit / didn’t crash.

I really don’t know what else to do. There’s no error codes, the bike just don’t want ton start. The battery seems to charge up fine when plugged in.

Here’s hoping I won’t have to wait another 4 months for a new motor.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
At some point you will have to realize you have bad luck. Stop buying lottery tickets and accept it. The sooner you realize it, the easier life will be.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
OP, have you been struck by lightning in the past? If so there may be some kind of residual charge in your biological makeup.

No, just kidding and not making light of your situation. That's pretty bad luck, especially when your motors haven't been flooded or apparently mistreated. I've seen and heard more issues with Brose motors, and we only recently started handling Santa Cruz with the Shimano motors, so not enough history now. Our Specialized emtb's have had what I would call more than their fair share of issues with the Brose motors.

Shimano itself will probably take care of it, but I find them often slow on the draw.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles