28 mph full suspension emtbs?

scm007

Mar 23, 2022
Seattle
I'm considering the turbo tero x 5.0 as I want a commuter bike as well as a full suspension emtb for trail riding. I'd probably throw a 150mm front fork on that though. ideally there is a 28mph Bosch 150mm travel bike out there in carbon.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
As far as I'm aware you wont find any mountain bikes specced with 28mph limiters they will be limited to the individual countries set limit the highest being 20mph.

You then can, at your own risk to voiding warrantee, de-restrict the motor for over speed.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Bulls used to sell a 28 mph emtb , but it was a tank. A conundrum for sure, hack a bosch bike and it will roll along for years except the anti tampering software might brick it. Otoh the specialized has a completely unreliable drivetrain that gives you 2500 miles per motor if lucky.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
32kmh or 20mph seems to be enough for me. I rarely hit those speeds on our mountain and the short time I’m on pavement I just power thru the speed limit/governer.

But those battery powered scooters, skateboards and unicycles…I have no idea. Seen two battery powered unicycles on our trails yesterday. They had full face helmets and protective gear. I tried to get a pic but I wasn’t fast enough.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
32kmh or 20mph seems to be enough for me. I rarely hit those speeds on our mountain and the short time I’m on pavement I just power thru the speed limit/governer.

But those battery powered scooters, skateboards and unicycles…I have no idea. Seen two battery powered unicycles on our trails yesterday. They had full face helmets and protective gear. I tried to get a pic but I wasn’t fast enough.
I tap past the limiter off rode regularly. Particularly on bigger jump runs. They are pretty much all faster than 32kph.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Just about any bike sold in the USA with a Bafang M500 will be unrestricted. Several FS models available from the likes of LUNA, FLX and Bikes Direct to name a few.

Last edited:

Rotwilder

Apr 19, 2019
West Yorkshire
I'm considering the turbo tero x 5.0 as I want a commuter bike as well as a full suspension emtb for trail riding. I'd probably throw a 150mm front fork on that though. ideally there is a 28mph Bosch 150mm travel bike out there in carbon.
Just been to Lake Garda and for the first time ever saw 2 e-bikes with number plates and brake lights on. They flew past so didn’t get the chance to see what make they are, I’m guessing these were capable of at least 28 mph! Italy is restricted to 25 kph….

billp91311

Feb 9, 2019
Chatsworth, CA
1691244072557.png

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Seen two battery powered unicycles on our trails yesterday. They had full face helmets and protective gear. I tried to get a pic but I wasn’t fast enough.

I ride one regularly, it does 45mph and the newer ones do 55mph now. And yeah, always fully geared on the bloody things!

Scuirus

Jul 12, 2023
Norway
Just been to Lake Garda and for the first time ever saw 2 e-bikes with number plates and brake lights on. They flew past so didn’t get the chance to see what make they are, I’m guessing these were capable of at least 28 mph! Italy is restricted to 25 kph….
S-pedelec 45 km/h according to EU regulations. Insurance, number plate, mirror and brake light are obligatory. And a driving licence for scooter is required.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I ride one regularly, it does 45mph and the newer ones do 55mph now. And yeah, always fully geared on the bloody things!
A few months ago I spoke to a young guy who I’ve seen riding our trails on an E-skateboard (one big wheel). He explained the stop-and-go method. He gets air-time. 🤯

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I remember few year back Trek had one listed on there web site I remember seeing it. It was a police version. The story was you couldn't get it when you actually went to order it. Does anybody remember it? As we know here in the states a pedelec is legal in a lot of places on the road but, trails are a different story.

thbryson1962

Sep 2, 2020
US
Bulls used to sell a 28 mph emtb , but it was a tank. A conundrum for sure, hack a bosch bike and it will roll along for years except the anti tampering software might brick it. Otoh the specialized has a completely unreliable drivetrain that gives you 2500 miles per motor if lucky.
I think it was a bulls e-stream 4, had a brose motor and it maybe a throttle.
Class 3.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I remember few year back Trek had one listed on there web site I remember seeing it. It was a police version. The story was you couldn't get it when you actually went to order it. Does anybody remember it? As we know here in the states a pedelec is legal in a lot of places on the road but, trails are a different story.
I vaguely remember that. Wasn’t available for very long (weeks? Months?) maybe. Probably didn’t gain much traction with LEO’s.

However, the local Park Wardens are using mtb’s now.

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
My Lightcarbon with Bafang M600 assists up to 28 MPH, I was unaware it was class 3 when I bought it. But is helpful if I want to get down the street to the trail faster. No seeing top speed on trail unless it’s a serious downhill

ADDvanced

Aug 3, 2023
WI
My cheapass $999 ecotric tornado hits 26.3mph with a fresh charge and unlocked top speed. Full sus, alloy frame. Heavy 62lbs but I've riding it on a trails and bomb around on it, having a blast. I've never had an expensive 5-6k emtb tho.

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis
For Shimano certified OEMs like us here at LaMere Cycles, where we build high end carbon eMTB bikes, we can set the EP801 motors to any speed limit up to 28mph. We ship bikes all over the world and there are different regulations in every country, and different regulations all around the USA even, so we talk to the customer and make sure they know what the rules are on the local trails they will be riding and as long as they are in compliance we sell them what they order.

Now on our unique eSummit carbon electric fat bike pictured here, even if we set it to 28mph its still tough to get it over 22mph or so on the snow..... but you definitely can on really hard groomed fat bike trails with slight downhill....

View attachment eSummit LaMere 3:4.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles