Kenevo Gen1 21 Kenevo Expert chain locking up when muddy

TurboKenny

Jan 22, 2022
Cotswolds
Hey guys,

Love my Kenevo, epic bike!

I had this happen to me constantly yesterday at a bike park, the conditions were pretty muddy.

Basically first pedal cycle downhill the chain seemed to stick to the chainring nearly up to the front derailleur, the rear detailer jammed open and everything locked up.

I'm running a standard Specialized Kenevo Expert with SRAM GX, long cage, 11-speed derailleur and Praxis 32T, Steel, 104BCD chain rings.

The workshop were stumped, they thought it may be the chain, weather conditions, b line or clutch.

Needless to say it ruined biking for me for the day.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I've not ran Sram before, thinking of swapping the parts out, looking for some advise..

Catch up soon.

Last edited:

TurboKenny

Jan 22, 2022
Cotswolds
Hey guys,

Love my Kenevo, epic bike!

I had this happen to me constantly yesterday at a bike park, the conditions were pretty muddy.

Basically first pedal cycle downhill the chain seemed to stick to the chainring nearly up to the front derailleur, the rear detailer jammed open and everything locked up.

I'm running a standard Specialized Kenevo Expert with SRAM GX, long cage, 11-speed derailleur and Praxis 32T, Steel, 104BCD chain rings.

The workshop were stumped, they thought it may be the chain, weather conditions, b line or clutch.

Needless to say it ruined biking for me for the day.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I've not ran Sram before, thinking of swapping the parts out, looking for some advise..

Catch up soon.
I think I've found the issue - chain suck...
But still up for some advice on replacing the parts, with aftermarket :)

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Its nothing to do with SRAM............its just lack of maintenance! Sorry blunt but ........
How long since you checked the chain for wear?
How many KM has the drivetrain done?

I have never had mud cause chain suck but I guess it could happen if your chain is not properly maintained. The general advice is to use wet lube when its wet and/or muddy and dry lube in summer dusty conditions. Personally I think that is tosh! Dry lube is easilly washed off in wet conditions which is why wet lube is recommended for those rides...BUT wet lube tends to make trail debris stick and generally makes a mess. It is however the better lubricant for the pins/rollers. So I do both! Wet lube first, then wipe off the excess, then dry lube and leave to dry.

I doubt that alone would cause such violent and complete chain suck that you experienced so I suspect your chainwheel is badly worn. Easy and cheap fix but not worth doing in isolation. At the least also fit a new chain. If as a result you get some slip on the cassette, that indicates it is also worn.......or maybe just the smaller cogs are worn. Given the potential number of times your drivetrain seized that day, the chain even if not worn is probably toast.

So, get a new chain and chainwheel. Chain is any decent KMC x11 and chainwheel is Praxis 104 BCD Steel 32T. The Praxis chainwheel is threaded so the existing 4 bolts on your bike is all you need to refit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles