2023 Whyte e160rsx.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Th problem is that the market is driven by consumer demand for bigger batteries, and thats why weights are going up. The majority of people looking for any bike want the biggest range possible - the actual amount of us who buy a full fat bike based of its weight over range is not enough to justify in terms of sales.

I would say that the previous generation Whyte's were some of the best handling EMTB's I have ever tried, and the design makes them ride a lot lighter than you would think.

The only thing that put me off buying one before was the fact that the battery wasn't designed to be easily removable, but they seem to have sorted that now.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Th problem is that the market is driven by consumer demand for bigger batteries, and thats why weights are going up. The majority of people looking for any bike want the biggest range possible - the actual amount of us who buy a full fat bike based of its weight over range is not enough to justify in terms of sales.

I would say that the previous generation Whyte's were some of the best handling EMTB's I have ever tried, and the design makes them ride a lot lighter than you would think.

The only thing that put me off buying one before was the fact that the battery wasn't designed to be easily removable, but they seem to have sorted that now.
I really only was a ble to compare the E180RS with my 2019 Levo Comp. I had upgraded the suspension on the Levo to 160mm Lyric Ultimate and Fox DPS shock...even so probably not a fair comparison in terms of capability and the E180 just eats up really gnarly fast descents with no drama, whereas typically my eyes would be out on stalks with the Levo on the same descent.

But regardless of trail conditions there were a couple of things that really stood out as being different/better. Its something my son noticed straight away as well when he tried the E180.

Firstly the suspension set up is a like a magic carpet ride........OK its 180/170 and Fox factory front and back so maybe not susprising, but all that traction and compliance still gave tons of mid stroke support.

Secondly, the E180 requires far less effort to "right" the bike after leaning it over, and to swop from left to right on a twisty trail compared to the Levo which was much more top heavy. The low and centred COG of the E180 is really its defining feature and it makes a huge difference in the handling to the extent the overall weight of the bike is really not signficant.

The battery issue was a non issue for me. I only remove the battery a few times a year and whilst it is not as quick and convenient as a front or side downtube loader I had no problems removing or replacing the battery in a couple minutes with the bike upside down on its bars and using a DIY extraction tool ( plug socket screws and a piece of webbing). For me, the advantages in terms of battery and electrics protection and the absence of keys and locks, far outweighed some minor inconvenience.

I have yet to see exactly what they have changed in that respect on the new models but I believe the electrical connector for the battery is now at the top of the downtube. The battery itself is removed without tools albeit the motor bash guard needs removing first...which is a single T25.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
The colour range of the new V3 versions is very good and I like the addition of a flip chip to raise or lower the bottom bracket height.
Price increased due to inflation and raw material costs are through the roof. Would I buy another Whyte…….definitely. The thing is with the upgrade to the brakes by fitting RSC levers and RaceFace Next carbon bars and only covered 2000 miles, I regard my E 150 RS as up to date and new !!………still don’t like the colour of it though.

Kilham5

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Mar 12, 2020
North Yorkshire
Spot the difference ?

2020 150S.jpg

2023 160rsx.jpg

Do I need a new e-bike ?... Erm.. NO

After 3300 miles my 2020 bike rides just as well as it did when new.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I payed £6750 for a 160rs last year, I reckon with the rate everything else has shot up the new one’s price is about right.
They are all still mental money😀 but in the current world it is what it is.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles