2022 Specialized Turbo Levo - Full Custom Build!

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I've finally finished my full custom build of my 2022 Specialized Turbo Levo (Expert) and I'm pretty stoked on the outcome. I typically always build my own bikes from the frame up but the only framesets I could find of these were the S-Works models which I didn't want.

I got a good deal on the Expert which had decent components I "passed down" to my gf's Turbo Levo Comp Carbon which worked out nicely. Needless to say, I replaced pretty much everything! and yes I even replaced the Fox 38 with a Fox 38 because the Kashima matched better even though they were identical functionally :)

98% of all the bolts are Ti, pretty much the only thing untouched is the frame and the cranks.

Enjoy!
Casal_2023_06_06_02A1811_0.jpg

Casal_2023_05_05_02A1730_0.jpg

Casal_2023_05_05_02A1738_0.jpg

Casal_2023_05_05_02A1746_0.jpg

Casal_2023_05_05_02A1790_0.jpg

Casal_2023_06_06_02A1821_0.jpg

Casal_2023_06_06_02A1843_0.jpg

Casal_2023_06_06_02A1846_0.jpg

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I like it and I don’t if that makes sense. I like the fact you have built a bike up how you like it. But to me the wheels are not my cup of tea or to be more precise the spokes, they look like they belong on a cheap bike. Only because I have never seen coloured spokes on a mountain bike unless it a so called mountain bike but from China etc. It’s your bike and you have achieved what you want so fair play. (y)

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I like it and I don’t if that makes sense. I like the fact you have built a bike up how you like it. But to me the wheels are not my cup of tea or to be more precise the spokes, they look like they belong on a cheap bike. Only because I have never seen coloured spokes on a mountain bike unless it a so called mountain bike but from China etc. It’s your bike and you have achieved what you want so fair play. (y)
Hey totally fair! We all have our own opinions 😉
For what it’s worth, I can assure you the wheels/spokes are top quality and not from china 😂 check out Industry Nine sometime, they allow you to build custom wheels exactly how you want, whether all black or rainbow or anything in between.
It's certainly different 🤘🤘 but each to their own 👍
Indeed! I don’t expect everyone to have the same taste as I, and that’s absolutely ok 🤙🤙
Pretty flashy. You're gonna be catching the eyes of all the trail bunnies.
Also, nice work behind the lens.
😂😂
And thanks! Much appreciated

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Nice build! Just the blue pedals and stem seem out of scheme.
I would rather have the non kashima fork.
Those tyres, though… I do not understand why they even make them with that dog sh.. spread?!? I only bought some for budget reason, they really look awfull to me.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I love it man! I want to get a custom set of I9 wheels made for mine once I decide what colour I’m going to paint the frame. I have all turquoise I9 305s on my SB130 and all green I9 305s on my SB150, I’m all about flashy colours.

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Looks really nice dude . Can we get some photos with mud on it ? What's weight of bike ?
Dirty? No. Haha jk yeah soon here today will be its first ride after the build and we had some rain a couple days ago.
Current weight is 51 lb 0oz ready to ride including tubeless sealant.
However, I’m expecting a slight increase after the avalanche hybrid coil arrives, still have another 4 weeks or so though to wait.
IMG_1699.jpeg

Nice build! Just the blue pedals and stem seem out of scheme.
I would rather have the non kashima fork.
Those tyres, though… I do not understand why they even make them with that dog sh.. spread?!? I only bought some for budget reason, they really look awfull to me.
😂 haha yeah the tires are definitely love/hate with people. With my grips and thr kashima it blended well, imo. I actually like them on this bike but I wouldn’t put them on any of my others. I got them for $50/each which is pretty cheap comparatively.
I love it man! I want to get a custom set of I9 wheels made for mine once I decide what colour I’m going to paint the frame. I have all turquoise I9 305s on my SB130 and all green I9 305s on my SB150, I’m all about flashy colours.
Yeah man!! Gotta love i9!! These are my 5th set from them 😇 good to see some more i9 love. Even if one doesn’t want the colors you can’t go wrong with them, they are top shelf quality in my book.
Nice build mate 👌
Thanks brotha 🤙

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
@maynard as requested lol. Got in an epic 17 miles today!! Got in multiple laps at a familiar spot where I usually do ONE lap. It was so fun getting tired on the way down instead of up. Got some good mix of sustained flow and chunky terrain, I’m more tired than I’ve been there on my pedal bike, what a day!

The Fox 38 felt pretty harsh so I’ll need to play with that a little but I had a blast.

This is as dirty as I could get it today 😂
IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1709.jpeg

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
@maynard as requested lol. Got in an epic 17 miles today!! Got in multiple laps at a familiar spot where I usually do ONE lap. It was so fun getting tired on the way down instead of up. Got some good mix of sustained flow and chunky terrain, I’m more tired than I’ve been there on my pedal bike, what a day!

The Fox 38 felt pretty harsh so I’ll need to play with that a little but I had a blast.

View attachment 113899

View attachment 113900
Have you done a leg service on the 38 yet? Mine was was/is harsh as hell too, the negative air side was full of slick honey. I’ve messed around with mine and got it feeling somewhat decent, it’s still harsher than I’d prefer but better than it was. I have a zeb on my other bike and prefer it, it was a lot easier to set up and IMO feels a lot better.

I was chatting with a pretty well known suspension guy and he told me that the VVC in the 38 is terrible and the harshness comes from the rebound adjustments overlapping too much. He always suggest starting with the HSR in the middle before adjusting the LSR.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil

View attachment 113899

View attachment 113900
Now its leaning on some really nice looking tyres 🤩

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
it´s definitively different!
and the build paid extreme care without visible shortcuts to quality!
so congrats!!
Thanks! yeah whether or not you like the specific colors, thanks or appreciating my attention to quality.
Looks great! But I agree on your questionable pedal choice. IF you go for unicorn style, then a pedal like this one should be your choice to go. 😉
haha, I did see those but didn't want them for this build. However these specific pedals irrespective of color are my favorite and I have them on all my bikes. I really like them.
Have you done a leg service on the 38 yet? Mine was was/is harsh as hell too, the negative air side was full of slick honey. I’ve messed around with mine and got it feeling somewhat decent, it’s still harsher than I’d prefer but better than it was. I have a zeb on my other bike and prefer it, it was a lot easier to set up and IMO feels a lot better.

I was chatting with a pretty well known suspension guy and he told me that the VVC in the 38 is terrible and the harshness comes from the rebound adjustments overlapping too much. He always suggest starting with the HSR in the middle before adjusting the LSR.
I have not yet, I wanted to get this first ride in with my fingers crossed that it would be good but unfortunately I know it seems to be common that the negative chamber has too much grease. I'll be doing the lower leg "service" to ensure it's reassembled in the correct way. I'm just waiting on the bullet tool. I have everything else.
Super nice 👌
Nice bike dude .
Thanks Maynard!!
Very Nice. Custom paint?
Nope. It just looks different from the protection wrap (Invisiframe). It's the stock matte maroon-ish color but when you put the clear film on it, it adds a satin sheen to it.
I actually like the stock matte look MUCH better. but it's so nice having these protection films on your frames.
Now its leaning on some really nice looking tyres 🤩
haha that's funny, and good eye!

surflj

Feb 10, 2022
SoCal
As a designer and a photographer I really appreciate the thought that must have went through your mind to put together this out of the ordinary but very well done custom eMTB! Great job, obviously not for everyone, and most probably wouldn't have the eye to even approach a project like yours! Nicely photographed!

FirstAscent

Subscriber
Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I like it, nothing like being daring with the colours
Wait until I finish doing the custom spray job on mine
Thank you! Sounds epic! Out of all the bikes I’ve built a custom paint job is the one road I haven’t gone down yet. Sounds awesome, hope to see the final results!
As a designer and a photographer I really appreciate the thought that must have went through your mind to put together this out of the ordinary but very well done custom eMTB! Great job, obviously not for everyone, and most probably wouldn't have the eye to even approach a project like yours! Nicely photographed!
Thanks so much, truly appreciate the words! Happy trails brotha 🤙🤙

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Thank you! Sounds epic! Out of all the bikes I’ve built a custom paint job is the one road I haven’t gone down yet. Sounds awesome, hope to see the final results!

Thanks so much, truly appreciate the words! Happy trails brotha 🤙🤙
I'm fortunate it happens to be part of my business spraying, and learned quite a few techniques over the years

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles