Levo Gen 3 2022 Levo Expert - Speed sensor error 1024

peliii

Apr 4, 2022
2022 Levo Expert, 50miles & 3 total rides. Motor is quiet, no clunking, no whining, good power delivery, no stuttering.

Today I began a ride and within 20 seconds the motor cut out and gave me error code 1024 "Magnet or speed sensor problem detected. Ensure that the speed sensor and the speed sensor magnet are clear of obstructions, clean and that they do not have any visible damage."

I did lightly wash the bike with a spray hose and sponge after my ride 3 days ago. That's the only thing I have done that I think could have caused the error code. The Mastermind TCU still functions through all screens and I can switch between ECO, Trail, and Turbo before the TCU cuts out after 20 seconds. Also, the TCU wiring and compartment on the top tube was dry. Could water have gone down the seat tube and fouled the speed sensor interface on the motor? Something else maybe?

1. Re-started the Mastermind TCU several times, did not fix the issue.
2. Plugged the power cord in for several minutes, re-started the Mastermind TCU, did not fix the issue.
3. Speed sensor magnet is clear of debris.
4. Charging port is clear of debris, clean and dry.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue, was it water ingress? general motor failure? wiring issue? What was the fix, or did you take it to your bike shop for repairs?

Thanks!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
if ...as seems to be the case....the bike is not picking up the speed sensor signal it will cut off power in the sort of time period you have described. The fault is likely one of the following:-
Speed sensor faulty ( speed sensor is on the chain stay
Speed sensor cable damaged
Speed sensor cable connection to the motor insecure ( one of 3 plug in connections accessed under the non drive side motor cover......remove non drive side crank and cover to inspect)

Rob_UK

Aug 13, 2023
Kent, UK
Hey Peliii / Mikerb,

I purchased a new Kenevo Expert 2022 two weeks ago and had exactly the same issue when I took my Kenevo out yesterday. A fault was coming up stating that the sensor or magnet were faulty and the tubo cut out. I did wash the bike carefully with a hose, and whipped it down one day before the issue started.

May I ask if you managed to fix this?

I removed the rear wheel and cleaned the magnet and sensor + removed the battery and checked for any water.

I took the bike out today for a 5km test ride and it was working perfectly. I’m just a bit worried about going out on my normal 50-70km rides and this happening then.

I’d really appreciate any help and advice you guys can offer! Absolute love the bike but this was the first motor/electrical issue that I had and I’ve only done 160km on it (the bike’s 2 weeks old).

Cheers

Rob

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had a 2019 Levo Comp and never had any electrical issues with it but I did note a number of potential areas where water could cause a problem and carried a few minor preventative measures. I am not sure how similar a 2022 Kenevo is to the 2019 Levo Comp but for what it is worth this is what I did.
1 I wrapped the TCU in tape covering the USB port, the seam that is where the top and bottom of the unit is joined and where the cables enter it.
2. I wrapped the connectors of the 2 cables connected to the TCU in amalgamating tape.
3. I used liquid gasket between the TCU and frame ( a smear of grease on the frame side means the gasket would only adhere to the TCU once set).
4. I used grease to prevent water running down the TCU to motor cable where it passes behind the shock.
5. I blocked the motor cover hole where the speed sensor cable enters with motor foam.
6. Similarly I used extra motor foam to fill the area inside the non drive side motor cover.
7. Whilst the non drive side motor cover was off I removed each connector and used silicon lube on the green connector seals then packed some lithium grease around them once connected.
8. I made a neoprene cover fitted with self adhesive hd velcro over the motor to battery rosenberg plug.

Not suggesting you do all of that but those were the areas of weakness in terms of waterproofing I dealt with. The bike once got virtually totally submerged in a crash.....it caused no problems for the bike....unlike me...I got soaked.

Rob_UK

Aug 13, 2023
Kent, UK
I had a 2019 Levo Comp and never had any electrical issues with it but I did note a number of potential areas where water could cause a problem and carried a few minor preventative measures. I am not sure how similar a 2022 Kenevo is to the 2019 Levo Comp but for what it is worth this is what I did.
1 I wrapped the TCU in tape covering the USB port, the seam that is where the top and bottom of the unit is joined and where the cables enter it.
2. I wrapped the connectors of the 2 cables connected to the TCU in amalgamating tape.
3. I used liquid gasket between the TCU and frame ( a smear of grease on the frame side means the gasket would only adhere to the TCU once set).
4. I used grease to prevent water running down the TCU to motor cable where it passes behind the shock.
5. I blocked the motor cover hole where the speed sensor cable enters with motor foam.
6. Similarly I used extra motor foam to fill the area inside the non drive side motor cover.
7. Whilst the non drive side motor cover was off I removed each connector and used silicon lube on the green connector seals then packed some lithium grease around them once connected.
8. I made a neoprene cover fitted with self adhesive hd velcro over the motor to battery rosenberg plug.

Not suggesting you do all of that but those were the areas of weakness in terms of waterproofing I dealt with. The bike once got virtually totally submerged in a crash.....it caused no problems for the bike....unlike me...I got soaked.
Thanks you this Mikerb, it's much appreciated! I have tried to sort the issue but will take it to my LBS this week, as the error keeps coming back and the turbo cuts out. I'll implement some of the above preventative measures once it's fixed. Thanks again!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles