Rail (750Wh) 2022 Bosch Smart 750 Trek Rail Thread

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
If the price the main factor, I would also consider Cube Stereo 160.
Nah, it's not the main factor. It's getting the best bang for the buck.

They have a Cube in my local Specialized dealership... Fancy Kashima suspension and everything, but looks a bit closer and it seems to be built more for show than go. Factory Fox, but not using the Grip 2 damper?! I'd Esther lose the Kashima and have the Grip 2, as much as I'd live to have a bike with Kashima...

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Well I have a rest rise booked for Saturday, however, they only have a Rail 5 for a proper test ride. Assuming it's a 2023 Rail 5, does that have the old geometry, or did the 2023 models get the new geometry from the 9.8 and 9.9?

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Well I have a rest rise booked for Saturday, however, they only have a Rail 5 for a proper test ride. Assuming it's a 2023 Rail 5, does that have the old geometry, or did the 2023 models get the new geometry from the 9.8 and 9.9?
You can find geometry on the trek website. To save you the effort the Rail 5 has the older geo.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
The geo makes quite a big difference, also the 23 Rail 5 only has a 500wh battery.
In what way? The Loam Wolf seemed to suggest the old geo was preferable, or at least was unless you fit the new sizing well. As I understand it the new geo is longer and slacker?

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
In what way? The Loam Wolf seemed to suggest the old geo was preferable, or at least was unless you fit the new sizing well. As I understand it the new geo is longer and slacker?
Your posting in the 750wh Rail thread and I thought you spoke previously about wanting a 9.8 Gen 3?

Check the geo numbers particularly reach, they are longer and slacker by a long way than the older geo. This has been discussed many times throughout this forum. IMO riding a Rail 5 with older geo if you want a Rail with newer geo is pointless, they will feel different.

If you want a 750wh Rail, check the geo carefully and size appropriately

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Your posting in the 750wh Rail thread and I thought you spoke previously about wanting a 9.8 Gen 3?

Check the geo numbers particularly reach, they are longer and slacker by a long way than the older geo. This has been discussed many times throughout this forum. IMO riding a Rail 5 with older geo if you want a Rail with newer geo is pointless, they will feel different.

If you want a 750wh Rail, check the geo carefully and size appropriately
Yes exactly I'd like the 750wh gen 3, but my local Trek dealer can only offer a Rail 5 as a demo, unfortunately. It's the closest I'm going to get...

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yes exactly I'd like the 750wh gen 3, but my local Trek dealer can only offer a Rail 5 as a demo, unfortunately. It's the closest I'm going to get...
I did that mistake. Rented old Rail in a bike park, tested it, found it good and bought a new 9.8xt. But the new Rail rides different.

You don't consider the old generation? I think that is really bang for buck.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I didn’t find the transition to the new geo Rail a big deal. I have to work it a bit harder in fast tight turns, otherwise not a big deal to me. I just really enjoy the longer range. I had the both gen 1 and 2, now gen 3
I’m 175cm, and ride Medium size

torabora851

Apr 13, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I didn’t find the transition to the new geo Rail a big deal. I have to work it a bit harder in fast tight turns, otherwise not a big deal to me. I just really enjoy the longer range. I had the both gen 1 and 2, now gen 3
I’m 175cm, and ride Medium size
No wonder, the medium is not changed so much as the large.
Reach
M: 445 to 452 +7mm
L: 470 to 491 +21mm

Last edited:

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
No wonder, the medium is not changed so much as the large.
Reach
M: 450 to 452
L: 470 to 491
Oh, so the medium is pretty close to the original then? Or have the chain stays grown etc? 2mm is nothing - you could change that with a roll of the handlebars even.

The Rail I'm testing tomorrow is a medium, so hopefully will fit me and be fairly indicative of what the 9.8XT will be like.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Oh, so the medium is pretty close to the original then? Or have the chain stays grown etc? 2mm is nothing - you could change that with a roll of the handlebars even.

The Rail I'm testing tomorrow is a medium, so hopefully will fit me and be fairly indicative of what the 9.8XT will be like.
The old Rail medium was 445mm in the low position, so there is a 7mm reach difference.
I'm 174cm and I've had both and loved both, but I loved the newer bike better.

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
The old Rail medium was 445mm in the low position, so there is a 7mm reach difference.
I'm 174cm and I've had both and loved both, but I loved the newer bike better.
You're saying that in the past tense. What do you have now?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
You're saying that in the past tense. What do you have now?
Funny you should ask, I've just sold my 2022 Rail, the guy is picking it up tomorrow!
I'm genuinely sorry to see it go, it's been a fantastic bike, I've covered 3000 trouble free miles on it in a year.
I'm still awaiting my new Pole Voima, any week now I hope🤞

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
Funny you should ask, I've just sold my 2022 Rail, the guy is picking it up tomorrow!
I'm genuinely sorry to see it go, it's been a fantastic bike, I've covered 3000 trouble free miles on it in a year.
I'm still awaiting my new Pole Voima, any week now I hope🤞
How come you went for that bike in particular? I did have a look at them, but wasn't super keen on ordering online with little in the way of support it dealerships here in the UK if something went wrong.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
How come you went for that bike in particular? I did have a look at them, but wasn't super keen on ordering online with little in the way of support it dealerships here in the UK if something went wrong.
I wanted to try a big travel super enduro and the Pole really impressed me when I saw one in the flesh.
The buying online isn't ideal, but I've had Canyons before and it's been fine.
Most of what goes wrong with Ebikes is motor related anyway and a local Bosch dealer can sort that. Also I've had lots of warranty claims with shop bought bikes that have been far from easy.
I also see you are UK based, there is soon to be a UK hub for Pole cycles in Colchester (Seton Racing) that will deal with all that stuff 👍

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I wanted to try a big travel super enduro and the Pole really impressed me when I saw one in the flesh.
The buying online isn't ideal, but I've had Canyons before and it's been fine.
Most of what goes wrong with Ebikes is motor related anyway and a local Bosch dealer can sort that. Also I've had lots of warranty claims with shop bought bikes that have been far from easy.
I also see you are UK based, there is soon to be a UK hub for Pole cycles in Colchester (Seton Racing) that will deal with all that stuff 👍
Ah nice. Well let us know when it arrives!

What colour did you go for? I quite liked the gold when I had a look before... Not sure if it's a bit blingy though!

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Ah nice. Well let us know when it arrives!

What colour did you go for? I quite liked the gold when I had a look before... Not sure if it's a bit blingy though!
I was going for Gold, but in the new frames that became £400 extra so I opted for the raw aluminium.
Now I've settled on that colour, I don't think I'd change for the Gold even if they were the same price 🤷

RJUK

Sep 29, 2021
UK
I was going for Gold, but in the new frames that became £400 extra so I opted for the raw aluminium.
Now I've settled on that colour, I don't think I'd change for the Gold even if they were the same price 🤷
Gold is probably asking to be stolen...!

Maybe one for Donald Trump...

Roughneck06

Oct 30, 2022
NB, Canada
@Rob Rides EMTB Hi Rob, quick question now that you have your new Strive On. How does it compared to your Trek Rail with the 230x62.5 rear shock relative to ride feel and progressiveness?

I have a Trek Rail 9.8XT Gen 4 (750wh) Size large like yours and considering going to 230x62.5 (mino link to high) like you did with either a Fox Float X2 (if it fit) or the same Ohlins as you. I want more travel but just want to make sure I don't interfere too much with the design progressiveness.

Thanks for the help.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles