Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo FSR TCU protection

Synns

Sep 27, 2020
UK
Hey guys, so I've just purchased a 2021 Turbo Levo.

I've read some issues on the TCU getting wet/moisture getting in and causing problems.

Would it be a good idea to just tape up the controls part on the tube? To add an extra layer of protection while riding in the rain etc? Seems crazy to have to even think about doing this but would there be a benifit? Is that where moisture is getting in? I don't care if it makes the bike look crap, if it'll help avoid an unwanted trip to the Lbs then I'm happy to do it.

Someone posted on one of my threds to pop a bit of tape over this part when cleaning so il surely be doing this before washing the bike.

Also are there any other areas that are known on the 2021 models that could be prevented with 'hacks'.

Is it true that changes have been made to the 2021 models to help prevent issues previous models have had with water ingress?

Thanks

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I was at Berkshire Cycles a couple of days ago and was told that you don't need to do anything to the TCUs with the 2021 bikes, just make sure the unit is screwed down properly

Synns

Sep 27, 2020
UK
I was at Berkshire Cycles a couple of days ago and was told that you don't need to do anything to the TCUs with the 2021 bikes, just make sure the unit is screwed down properly

That's good to know, yeah be good to know what changes they've made. Took it out today was a blast. Wet mud and rain makes cleaning a dream. Light spray and done ?

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
That's good to know, yeah be good to know what changes they've made. Took it out today was a blast. Wet mud and rain makes cleaning a dream. Light spray and done ?
I would also like to hear if there was a change made for the 2021 TCU. On recommendations elsewhere in this forum I removed the TCU of my 2020 and wrapped a strip of electrical tape around the part that fits inside the frame. Although I'm always very careful when washing, it seems like a little extra protection wouldn't hurt.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont know if the 2021 TCU is any different to previous years or not. On my MY2019 Levo Comp I have wrapped the TCU in insulating tape ensuring the point at which the 2 wire connect into it are also well wrapped. I covered the connectors for those 2 wires where they connect to the cable going down to the motor connection area with amalgamating tape. I then made a gasket to fit between the TCU and the frame. Lastly I pushed grease into the openings where the TCU cable passes behind the shock to prevent water entering there and running down to the motor connections area. I also made a neoprene cover for the charging port secured to the bike with heavy duty velcro. The charging port connection is also protected with grease on the chamfered edge and silicon liquid on the rubber o ring. Never had any electrical problems.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I dont know if the 2021 TCU is any different to previous years or not. On my MY2019 Levo Comp I have wrapped the TCU in insulating tape ensuring the point at which the 2 wire connect into it are also well wrapped. I covered the connectors for those 2 wires where they connect to the cable going down to the motor connection area with amalgamating tape. I then made a gasket to fit between the TCU and the frame. Lastly I pushed grease into the openings where the TCU cable passes behind the shock to prevent water entering there and running down to the motor connections area. I also made a neoprene cover for the charging port secured to the bike with heavy duty velcro. The charging port connection is also protected with grease on the chamfered edge and silicon liquid on the rubber o ring. Never had any electrical problems.
Blimey - good job! And I thought that I was paranoid.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It's not paranoia....its the application of common sense and nothing more than mx, green lane, trials....or any other form of off road, potentially wet and muddy from of motorsport do to ensure reliability.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles