Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo Comp motor failed after 220 miles

decoy_924

Dec 9, 2021
California
Hello. Thought I would share my experience with my 2021 Turbo Levo Comp. I’ve owned the bike for a little over a month and put on approximately 220 miles according to strava. After maybe my 3rd ride I started noticing a strange clicking sound while pedaling around outside my house in the largest gear. I’ve never really needed to use the larger gears with an emtb but I was just messing with cockpit setup and saddle position. The noise was definitely low in the frame and not coming from the drivetrain. I chopped it up to me using a really large gear on flat ground and the motor maybe not having enough load. Bike was never crashed and no hard pedal strikes.

Fast forward maybe 100 miles and the same noise is starting to appear in any gear on any steep climb. I like a lot of people take some steeper fire roads on the emtb to shuttle myself back to the top of a trail head. And that’s when I noticed the noise the most. I swapped out my derailleur and upgraded to AXS. I also swapped out my rear wheel for a mullet set up. The noise persisted even with new/different parts and got more consistent until I finally took it to my LBS a week ago. I was hesitant to take it in sooner since the noise was hard to reproduce on flat ground. The shop never actually verified it themselves but I brought them a video of the noise I recorded while riding. They were pretty convinced it is the motor because the noise would disappear completely if you shut the motor off mid climb. I will link the video when I get a chance.

This is my 3rd Levo. I owned a used 2018 for a short time before selling to get a 2020 Levo SL. Had absolutely no issues with either of those bikes however I didn’t own either of them very long because up until recently none of the friends I ride with had emtb’s. I went back to acoustic bikes for a bit before this recent full size Levo purchase. Not really thrilled with $8000 toy needing a motor after only a month. But I’m also not surprised. I was hoping the 2021 model had all the motor problems resolved. Had a hard time finding other emtb’s in stock that’s why I settled on the Specialized. I do love the bike especially after the upgrades I’ve made. The warranty process was smooth and fast however I don’t want to deal with this every couple of months till the warranty is up.

link to noise

Last edited:

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Not what I want to hear as I just bought a 2021 Levo Comp for the same reasons and I love the bike! Hopefully its a quick fix and no more issues for you.....

decoy_924

Dec 9, 2021
California
Not what I want to hear as I just bought a 2021 Levo Comp for the same reasons and I love the bike! Hopefully its a quick fix and no more issues for you.....

Thanks yea it was a quick fix luckily. My LBS had another motor installed in just a little over a week. Picked the bike up today. I really like the Brose motors compared to some other e-bikes I’ve ridden. Really good power and natural feel. But I’m surprised Specialized hasn’t gotten this figured out it’s gotta be costing them a lot of money.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Thanks yea it was a quick fix luckily. My LBS had another motor installed in just a little over a week. Picked the bike up today. I really like the Brose motors compared to some other e-bikes I’ve ridden. Really good power and natural feel. But I’m surprised Specialized hasn’t gotten this figured out it’s gotta be costing them a lot of money.

No doubt about it......although I haven't seen or read of that many failures of the 2021's compared to the 19/20's. Time will tell....

decoy_924

Dec 9, 2021
California
Do you know your new and old motor numbers to compare? Its on the mission control app.
Unfortunately I did not note the serial number of my original motor but I was surprised to see that my replacement motor is dated September of 2020.

27992C3B-25F7-4C59-B6F8-9F2623C9AF59.png

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Yeah, that is not one of the new motors but dont worry, mine has lasted 2,200kms through the UK slop so far.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
2600 mls first , motor one year , 2000mls second motor ,one and a half years . Trying to be more careful re water around motor cable areas heres hoping.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles