IMG_9640.jpeg

IMG_9637.jpeg

Manufacturer: Trek
Model: Rail 9.7
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: $8049
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Picked up a new 2021 Trek Rail 9.7 at the Trek Factory store in Dublin, Ohio (Thanks Matt!). I am coming off a 2021 Trek Rail 7 (size large) that I picked up used. I really liked my Rail 7 but it felt a little small to me (I am 6'2" tall and 190 lbs). When the local Trek store recently got in a size XL Rail 9.7 I had to try it out. I really liked the feel of the XL layout: the longer reach (495mm compared to my Rail 7 size large (at 465mm) just fit me better. The Project One paint job which changed colors in the sunlight along with the Assembled in USA helped seal the deal for me! I sold my size Large Rail 7 to a buddy and picked up the new Rail 9.7. After a few rides on the new Rail 9.7 my impressions of the Rail models have not changed. This is a fun and agile bike and with the carbon frame "feels" so lightweight in motion. The low bottom bracket height (339mm) and short rear chain stays (447mm) give the Rail an almost acoustic like MTB quick handling and playful character on the tight trails. The XL frame size fits my 6' 2" body like a glove: confidence inspiring and planted at speed and feels good on the jumps too. The base line Rockshox suspension (35mm Yari fork up front and Select+ rear shock) are surprisingly capable and work fine for me but are easily upgradeable for faster more skilled riders (this chassis and motor/battery is worth adding some higher end components to if needed).

The Good:
1. The 29" wheels make the bike feel fast and roll over the bumps effortlessly and the carbon frame gives the bike an even lighter/more acoustic MTB feel in motion

2. The low bottom bracket height and short rear chain stays give this bike a planted yet playful and lively handling character

3. The Bosch CX4 motor is powerful yet has a smooth and natural pedal assist response with lots of torque feel especially on steep climbs. The (4) ride modes (Eco, Tour, EMTB, Turbo) offer a wide range of assist levels which helps make up for the lack of an app to tune the motor characteristics (this tune feature is available on the '22 Trek Rail 9.8 models which my local Trek shop has yet to receive). EMTB mode lets the computer decide assist levels from Eco to Turbo based on your input - a set it and forget it mode. I still ride in Turbo mode most of the time. The 625 Wh battery offers plenty of riding range for me and is easily removable which is nice for bringing the battery inside for charging. With the battery removed the Rail is 9 lbs lighter and makes the bike noticeably easier to move around (like lifting it up to to hang from a bike rack in the garage).

4. The Project One paint looks amazing and does change colors depending on the angle of the light

5. This bike is assembled in the USA

The Could be Better:
1. The 150mm travel dropper seat post would be better with 170 or 190mm of travel.

2. Bosch KIOX display is cool and has lots of viewing options but the controller on the handlebar is large and clunky looking

Trek Rails have always been highly rated in shootouts. After riding both the Rail 7 and now the Rail 9.7 I can understand why. The '21 Rail 9.7 is a fun to ride and agile handling E-MTB that feels like a regular MTB. Looking forward to more rides soon!

Last edited:

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
I posted this review of my '21 Trek Rail 9.7 while I was recovering from a full right hip replacement. Got the OK to get back on the bicycle (and motorcycle) again from my surgeon so I did my first ride on my new hip this past weekend. Felt so good to be back on the bike again! I have been doing therapy and strengthening exercises for weeks but nothing like actual riding to work those those lower leg and hip muscles! Have not ridden my 2021 Trek Rail 9.7 for a while and for me it is still the E-MTB that feels like an acoustic bike.

Riding E-MTB's is part of my strengthening and therapy for my new hip so now I have to ride...doctor's orders!

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
2021 Trek Rail 9.7 vs 2022 Specialized Levo Expert back to back. I let my buddy George (Vet moto rider and E-MTB rider), Nick (Vet moto rider, long time MTB rider), Dave (Vet moto rider, E-MTB rider, and former F-16 fighter pilot), and my son Chase (fast moto rider, E-MTB rider) all ride both of these bikes back to back at Horns Hill. All of them picked the Trek Rail over the new Levo Expert. The common theme was the Trek simply worked better overall. The suspension was more compliant leading to better tire contact patch feel in the corners and if you came up short on a jump it absorbed it better. The Trek had a more freer feel on the trail rolling with less effort and the Bosch motor was powerful yet controlled. I just put the latest software update into the '22 Levo motor and perhaps Specialized have smoothed the power even more for better Brose motor (ie belt) durability. They all felt more confident riding the Rail and simply liked the overall feel of the frame/suspension/motor combination better. Of course I have ridden these bikes back to back so I can understand the handling, suspension, and Bosch motor comments about the Rail from my riding buddies. I really like the smoothness of the Brose motor in the Levo with no gear lash/play/noise. Plus the Levo Brose motor character is totally tunable with the Mission Control app. The Levo also has adjustable geometry at the headset - something I have not changed yet but like having the ability to experiment.

For this back to back I am out numbered 4 to 1! The Rail wins!

IMG_1786.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles