The Bike:
033021 new rail 9-7.jpg

Manufacturer: TREK
Model: 9.7 Rail
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: $7k
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Just switched to the dark side. Came from a 2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7 29 Lb. bike. I was worried the 49 Lb bike would be clunky and slugish on the down hills. i was completely surprised at how good the Rail is. It handles soo much better, brakes are better, my times are better on the down hills and i feel much more confident. Lap times are crazy, the climbing is just insane. i am older (65) so this will really extend my riding. Where i might have done 2-3 laps on the Fuel EX, i feel like i could do 6to 8 now. it has really upped the fun factor.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
Added some 35mm OneUp Carbon Bars and half waffle grips. Saves my hands some, super light and i like the feel of the up swept bars Vs the flat bars that came on it

OneUp Bars.jpg

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
I whole heartily agree with your comments.
60 here on a Trek Rail 7 and started riding trails again that I've not ridden in years, bike handles outstanding and confidence inspiring.
If you see my truck, there likely be a Rail on back.
20210304_170151.jpg

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
I like that lock, looks pretty solid. I had some kids trying to cut through my 3/8" cable lock with a knife and side cutting pliers. They were able to gnaw about half way through before they got chased off by hotel staff. This was in Santa Barbara.

I see you are clipless, have you tired both? I have been on clipless on the non-ebike and would not ride any other way. But now on the e-bike it has blurred the distinction as I don't need the pedaling efficiency. However i have found the heavier bike getting separated from me more easily. Now i have the combo pedals and will try both. I Would like to hear other experience with flats vs clipless

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Been riding Shimano spds for so long that I'd feel lost without them.......habit ,that's the only reason.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
The Bike: View attachment 57712

Manufacturer: TREK
Model: 9.7 Rail
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: $7k
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: Just switched to the dark side. Came from a 2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7 29 Lb. bike. I was worried the 49 Lb bike would be clunky and slugish on the down hills. i was completely surprised at how good the Rail is. It handles soo much better, brakes are better, my times are better on the down hills and i feel much more confident. Lap times are crazy, the climbing is just insane. i am older (65) so this will really extend my riding. Where i might have done 2-3 laps on the Fuel EX, i feel like i could do 6to 8 now. it has really upped the fun factor.
Maybe lost in translation ..but what do you mean by "laps"..are you just riding the same circular circuit over and over ?
I've always considered road bikes to be " the dark side" ..in my eyes moving to an emtb from an mtb is like turning on the light ..??

Bennett59

Apr 15, 2021
California
I just got the same bike a week ago and love it, came from a StumpJumper, I want to do bars next just crazy how much everything is back ordered.

Trekster

Mar 13, 2021
Colorado
Nice looking bike! ?
Similiar experience with my Rail 9.7. I'm 61 and had all but given up most of my mountain biking, but I try to ride my Rail nearly every day. Its great fun, and i can go places again that I did when I was younger. Heres a pic of my Rail, sitting in God's country (Colorado).

20210423_120705.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles