IMG_8786.jpeg

IMG_8482.jpeg

Manufacturer: Trek
Model: Rail 7
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: $5200
New/Used: Used
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: After reading the positive reviews of the Trek Rail 7 (EBike MTB 2020 shootout winner, The Loam Wolf and Rob Rides EMTB both rated the Trek Rail highly) I was interested in trying the updated Trek Rail for myself. I picked up a lightly used (only 7 miles) 2021 Trek Rail 7 recently and here are my initial impressions.

The Good:
1. The 29" wheels roll freely and over the bumps effortlessly giving the Rail 7 a much lighter almost acoustic MTB feel in motion.

2. The low bottom bracket height and short rear chain stays give this bike a planted yet playful, lively, and lightweight handling character...almost like an acoustic MTB.

3. The Bosch CX4 motor is the standout feature of the Rail 7. The Bosch motor is powerful yet has a smooth and natural pedal assist response with lots of torque feel especially on steep climbs. The (4) ride modes (Eco, Tour, EMTB, Turbo) offer a wide range of assist levels which helps make up for the lack of an app to tune the motor characteristics. EMTB mode let the computer decide assist levels from Eco to Turbo based on your input - a set it and forget it mode. The 625 Wh battery offers plenty of riding range and is easily removable which is nice for bringing the battery inside for charging. With the battery removed the Rail is 9 lbs lighter and makes the bike noticeably easier to move around (like lifting it up to to hang from a bike rack in the garage).

4. The paint looks amazing!

The Could be Better:
1. The 130mm dropper seat post needs at least another 20mm of travel

2. The Bosch display has limited information

I can now understand why this bike is highly rated. The Rail 7 is a fun to ride and agile handling E-MTB that is feels like a regular MTB. A couple of my ride video links below. I did notice a sticker on the frame downtube that says "Assembled in Germany"...Are the Trek Rail bikes assembled in Germany or is that sticker referencing the Bosch motor and battery?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My neighbour has the exact same bike and loves it. If yours is a medium frame I’m surprised it has a 130mm dropper. His has the 150mm on a medium frame. I’ve ordered a 170mm AXS reverb for my medium Rail which will fit (careful measurements). I think the “assembly in Germany” sticker is for the motor.
Anyways great bike and great find.

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
My neighbour has the exact same bike and loves it. If yours is a medium frame I’m surprised it has a 130mm dropper. His has the 150mm on a medium frame. I’ve ordered a 170mm AXS reverb for my medium Rail which will fit (careful measurements). I think the “assembly in Germany” sticker is for the motor.
Anyways great bike and great find.

My 2021 Rail 7 is a size Large and from 2022 model year the Rail 7 comes with a 150mm dropper in the M/L/XL size frames. I am used to the 170mm droppers on my other bikes so the short dropper distance on my Rail 7 really stood out to me.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My 2021 Rail 7 is a size Large and from 2022 model year the Rail 7 comes with a 150mm dropper in the M/L/XL size frames. I am used to the 170mm droppers on my other bikes so the short dropper distance on my Rail 7 really stood out to me.
Yeah, replacing the dropper isn’t cheap. Sounds like you could really use a 170mm dropper. I can barely justify the price of an AXS reverb but I can pass the other droppers down the line. At least it softens the financial blow with upgrades for everyone …whoo hoo! 🙄

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Finally got my Rail 7 out on some new trails today (Horns Hill in Newark, Ohio). This bike is still the E-MTB that feels like an MTB....

BPIMG_9384.jpeg

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Very different bikes! The Rail 7 feels more regular MTB like with quicker and more responsive handling and less planted feel, especially as the speeds increase. I become more accustomed to the Rail 7 after a few runs down the hill and I like the feel. I was actually switching between the Rail 7 and my buddy's Santa Cruz Hightower acoustic MTB (the bike was super agile - so lightweight). The Tazer MX Pro feels so confidence inspiring it makes me want to go faster - very planted. The Ohlins suspension is fantastic. I am a moto guy and feel comfortable jumping my dirt bikes but MTB's can feel sketchy to me but I find it very easy to jump on the Tazer and ride hard.

madsen203

Mar 16, 2022
Bay Area, California
Very different bikes! The Rail 7 feels more regular MTB like with quicker and more responsive handling and less planted feel, especially as the speeds increase. I become more accustomed to the Rail 7 after a few runs down the hill and I like the feel. I was actually switching between the Rail 7 and my buddy's Santa Cruz Hightower acoustic MTB (the bike was super agile - so lightweight). The Tazer MX Pro feels so confidence inspiring it makes me want to go faster - very planted. The Ohlins suspension is fantastic. I am a moto guy and feel comfortable jumping my dirt bikes but MTB's can feel sketchy to me but I find it very easy to jump on the Tazer and ride hard.
Thanks for your feedback. I’m also a moto guy coming from a woods weapon converted YZ250. I can’t ride much where I live (most riding areas are minimum 2-3 hours away) and with a newborn around, it’s hard to make time. I am selling the moto to buy the Tazer, in part due to your comments and the overall spec of the bike comparatively, so I can get more riding time in as well as exercise. Love being on two wheels. Working full time, plus a 5 month old, means weekends are irreplaceable. getting a 2-3 hour ride in on the local trails means I’m not sacrificing a whole day/weekend to dirt biking.

Next year I’ll order the Stark Varg (already have pre order in) and then we will see if I keep the eMTB.

looking forward to getting some riding in no matter the kind of trails.

mxengineer1

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio, USA
Thanks for your feedback. I’m also a moto guy coming from a woods weapon converted YZ250. I can’t ride much where I live (most riding areas are minimum 2-3 hours away) and with a newborn around, it’s hard to make time. I am selling the moto to buy the Tazer, in part due to your comments and the overall spec of the bike comparatively, so I can get more riding time in as well as exercise. Love being on two wheels. Working full time, plus a 5 month old, means weekends are irreplaceable. getting a 2-3 hour ride in on the local trails means I’m not sacrificing a whole day/weekend to dirt biking.

Next year I’ll order the Stark Varg (already have pre order in) and then we will see if I keep the eMTB.

looking forward to getting some riding in no matter the kind of trails.

YZ250 is a great moto/woods bike! You get my "moto" comments about these E-MTB's. Tazer MX Pro is full on moto feeling. For me these E-MTB's are as fun to ride as going moto'ing and a great workout too. The ease of just jumping on the E-MTB and going riding is appealing (loading up all the bike and gear, gearing up at the track, no gas/oil mixing, changing air cleaners, unloading when getting back home, etc). I cut some trails in near my house and often bust over for a quick 30 minute moto before or after dinner.

I have a Sur Ron X and KTM Freeride E-XC along with my E-MTB's. My Stark Varg is suppose to arrive 11/24/22 (let's hope Stark stays on schedule!). Still have gas moto bikes but the stealthy low maintenance electric bikes are a fun off road 2-wheel experience. Enjoy your new Tazer!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles