2021 super deluxe thrushaft travel spacer.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
I realised I don't actually have the means to - then I looked at the later shocks & realised they have a weird lower clevis mount which is I assume for the thru-shaft to poke out under compression (and handily also allow all the oil to piss out when it inevitably fails? :) ), which answered my just a thought ramblings.

I've run an 11-6 at 62.5mm travel, now on something that started life as a DPX2, but no Fox internals, also at 62.5mm stroke. Couldn't get that much travel out of a Storia unfortunately, due to piggyback sizes.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Easy to work out the numbers, divide travel by stroke, multiply answer back up by new stroke:

150mm travel / 57.5mm stroke = 2.608.

2.608 x 65mm stroke = 169.56mm rear wheel travel.

Things to consider. The brace on the seat stays comes 'very' close to the seat tube with the increased travel. I run mine at 62.5mm & only have ~2/3mm on a hard bottom out, which is a little close for comfort when you allow for frame flex. Bear in mind mine is a L frame, there may be more clearance with an XL.

Also consider the tyre may buzz the seat tube and or saddle.
Except that's not how it works, because at that point in the linkages travel the ratio isn't 2.608. It starts at 2.4 and drops to 2.35. Thanks for the frame clearance heads up (y)

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Ok it's done. The shock is fine with the spacer cut out as has been said already. There isn't enough frame clearance with the minolink set to low on my medium but plenty with it set to high. This steepens the head angle up by 0.5 degrees, which will be offset by the fact that the sag point is now different and the forks are getting bumped up to 170mm. The HA measures 64.7 static as it is, with the minolink set to high, Zeb's at 160mm and a 3mm cane creek spacer under the lower race for fork/frame clearance.

The blue shock spacer is actually 4.2mm as it's recessed slightly. So good for just under 160mm total travel.

IMG_20210205_170026.jpg

IMG_20210205_152640.jpg

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Excellent, I'll do that next week.
I've got a 9.8xt in XL, is it the shock to downtube clearance you had issues with?
Nope it's seat stay bridge to seat tube clearance. Just swap the minolink to high. The difference in HA when riding with sag and forks bumped up to 170 will be tiny. There's no chance in hell I'd ride the bike with a 62.5mm shock with the minolink set to low.

JMD

Jul 26, 2019
Staffordshire
Nope it's seat stay bridge to seat tube clearance. Just swap the minolink to high. The difference in HA when riding with sag and forks bumped up to 170 will be tiny. There's no chance in hell I'd ride the bike with a 62.5mm shock with the minolink set to low.
I'm assuming yours is a carbon frame & zerofunds, hobnobs & Robs are aluminium.
The different material frames must differ in clearence at seat tube - seat stay bridge area.
Edit...
I just checked my carbon frame clearance with the 57.5mm bottomed out, it's 15-20mm so already really close.

Last edited:

sqzer

Aug 23, 2021
Slovakia
Hello guys, just confirm that you can use Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Thru Shaft from Slash 2021 also on carbon version. Mine 9.7 2020 with new shock (230x62.5) and fork (zeb ultimate 170), which should be same as on rail with removed blue travel spacer.

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
Hello guys, just confirm that you can use Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate Thru Shaft from Slash 2021 also on carbon version. Mine 9.7 2020 with new shock (230x62.5) and fork (zeb ultimate 170), which should be same as on rail with removed blue travel spacer.

View attachment 69669

View attachment 69670

View attachment 69671
Yes works mint, just be careful of the gap between the seat and rear tyre, if your sitting down at full compression it's gonna buzz your backside. Ask me how I know ?

sqzer

Aug 23, 2021
Slovakia
Yes works mint, just be careful of the gap between the seat and rear tyre, if your sitting down at full compression it's gonna buzz your backside. Ask me how I know ?

Do you think this tune is reversible? From Trek Slash shock 230x62.5 rebuild shock with adding 5mm travel spacer and get stock Trek rail 230x57.5? I found these 2 spare parts which should differ from these 2 shocks, but thinking if only markings on damper body is different or is it really different part + 5mm travel spacer. I have shock 230x62.5 in minolink High position but feels that bottom bracket is too low and getting hits to motor cover frequently so thinking about rework it to factory settings.

11.4118.054.002 - ROCKSHOX DAMPER BODY SDLX THRUSHAFT C1 62.5
11.4118.054.001 - ROCKSHOX DAMPER BODY SDLX THRUSHAFT C1 57.5

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Do you think this tune is reversible? From Trek Slash shock 230x62.5 rebuild shock with adding 5mm travel spacer and get stock Trek rail 230x57.5? I found these 2 spare parts which should differ from these 2 shocks, but thinking if only markings on damper body is different or is it really different part + 5mm travel spacer. I have shock 230x62.5 in minolink High position but feels that bottom bracket is too low and getting hits to motor cover frequently so thinking about rework it to factory settings.

11.4118.054.002 - ROCKSHOX DAMPER BODY SDLX THRUSHAFT C1 62.5
11.4118.054.001 - ROCKSHOX DAMPER BODY SDLX THRUSHAFT C1 57.5
To replace the spacer the entire shock needs to be fully stripped down. But yes, you can add the spacer to reduce a slash shock to 57.5mm.

Last edited:

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
You could dremel out a channel the width of the shaft so that it looks like a C and slide it in.
You could, and it'd probably work as long as the channel was a touch narrower than the shaft. Giggiddy.

The seat it sits on is pretty small though. I'm not sure i'd trust it not to open up and slide down on a hard bottom out.

GrandesRoues

Jul 26, 2019
Alpes Françaises
If one cut the spacer with a Dremel, do you think it could be removed without braking it ?
If it's broken, may be one could 3D print 2 "C" shaped parts that lock together (with some pin), and glue them...

@JMD I have an XL 2021 carbon also. Did you do the mod on yours ? With the minolink in high ?

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
If one cut the spacer with a Dremel, do you think it could be removed without braking it ?
If it's broken, may be one could 3D print 2 "C" shaped parts that lock together (with some pin), and glue them...

@JMD I have an XL 2021 carbon also. Did you do the mod on yours ? With the minolink in high ?
If you want to use a Dremel you're a braver man than me, one nick on the shaft and you'll have problems.

Beamishblue

Sep 20, 2020
Scotland
Hi,

I'm about to send my suspension away to TF Tuned to be serviced from my XL 2021 9.8 XT. I'm thinking of asking them to remove the spacer. Will this give adequate clearance for this frame in the low position?

Cheers,
Matt

sqzer

Aug 23, 2021
Slovakia
clearance of seattube is OK but bottom bracket is so low that you have often pedal strikes, so i keep it in high position.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Hi,

I'm about to send my suspension away to TF Tuned to be serviced from my XL 2021 9.8 XT. I'm thinking of asking them to remove the spacer. Will this give adequate clearance for this frame in the low position?

Cheers,
Matt
With the added sag (remember your sag markings will be out) and the 170mm air shaft up front the change in head angle is minimal. Your BB height will increase slightly. I've been running my M 9.8XT in high, with the spacer cut out for 62.5mm stroke and a 170mm air shaft for over a year, it's mint.

zerofunds

Nov 30, 2020
New Zealand
Si, if one just remove the blue spacer, the spring rate would be more linear ?
Yes it will be more linear but it's all relative. It's all trial and error, are you riding off curbs or are you hucking 60ft to flat, set you sag and go ride your trails, if you're bottoming it out, then more than likely you will have to compensate with tokens, keep in mind that the bottom out point will have increased by quite a margin.

raf

May 7, 2020
UK
If the blue spacer is removed then sag is set up to the same % of the new travel amount, will the bike geo become slacker? I'm running a mullet with mino link high and tried a 170mm air shaft in the fork but found it too slack with the fork at 20% sag.. and too soft with the fork at 25% sag (which gives the same height as the 160mm at 20%). I'm looking for any other way I can steepen the HTA to compensate.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
If the blue spacer is removed then sag is set up to the same % of the new travel amount, will the bike geo become slacker? I'm running a mullet with mino link high and tried a 170mm air shaft in the fork but found it too slack with the fork at 20% sag.. and too soft with the fork at 25% sag (which gives the same height as the 160mm at 20%). I'm looking for any other way I can steepen the HTA to compensate.
The added travel is right at the end of the shocks stroke. So, if you remove the spacer, and set the sag up to the same percentage it'll be slacker.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles