Levo Gen 2 2021 levo mullet

bourget1

Feb 18, 2021
woburn
Hey guys, new to this forum
Has anyone been running 27.5 on the rear? If so has it reduced top speed on bike? I often ride over to my local biking area and want to be able to keep up on the street -I pass them in the woods ;)
Also are you liking the setup and is it affecting pedal strikes?

Thanks

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Should not affect top speed if your take it to the dealer which can setup the wheel circumference accordingly in TCU. Also if you change flip chip to high position BB height should stay very similar.

NorCalLevo

Jan 9, 2020
Redwood City, California
Yeah, theres a bunch of people who have done it as have I. I like it so that I can slacken the HA a little bit more. And makes the bike just a bit easier to manual, although its not the easiest! Overall I am happy with it, but I am not the most detail oriented rider. I just hop on and look for things to jump off of, lol

AlexR

Oct 10, 2020
Portugal
Yeah I’m running 27.5 on the rear (TL Comp 2020 with 160mm fork) for a month. So far, I prefer it than the 29” and I do recommend it, even considering some negatives (below).

I’ve changed the flip chip to High and my LBS adjusted the wheel diameter to 2230mm so I could keep having assistance up to real 25km/h (rear tire is DHR II 2.6 3C Maxx Terra).

Positives:
+ slacker HA makes it more balanced on steep descents - this was the main reason I went to 27.5, as I didn’t like the feeling of my weight rolling to much to the front
+ more nimble, better turning (remember flip chip to High)
+ your tire can go fatter than 2.6 (but I wouldn’t do it)

Negatives
- BB: I’ve not measured the bottom bracket but I’ve hit more rocks over the past month than the last 6, so definitively it’s lower, but still manageable - anyway need to improve my ridding skills fast or consider to buy shorter cranks (it’s rocky here)
- top speed: it’s more difficult to pedal above 25km/h - there’s a significant drag - which I think it’s more from the tire than the 27.5 size
- Range: the battery consumption is higher (10-20%), again I believe it’s more to the tire, not to the wheel size

I’m happy with the change. The only thing I’d do differently would be to try a different tire - Vittoria e-Martello or even the Spesh Eliminator.

bourget1

Feb 18, 2021
woburn
Thanks Gents
AlexR i am thinking 2.8 for the same reasons you mentioned- a bit more BB height/ less pedal strikes
also thinking 160 cranks
What's the reason you wouldn't do 2.6? slower handlining?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
2.8 has a much larger volume and the side walls flex a lot more .
Less precise in high speed corners .
To run a 2.8 and get proper tread profile you need an over sized internal diameter rim .Otherwise the tyre will pucker a lot and be vulnerable to side wall cuts . 2.6 on a 35mm internal diameter seems good on my Levo mullet .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
FWIW, I'm hearing the new Levo will be a mullet
 meme

AlexR

Oct 10, 2020
Portugal
Thanks Gents
AlexR i am thinking 2.8 for the same reasons you mentioned- a bit more BB height/ less pedal strikes
also thinking 160 cranks
What's the reason you wouldn't do 2.6? slower handlining?

2.6 has enough traction for me vs rolling resistance / range. Also, I’ve read others mentioning they prefer 2.6 after trying 2.8.

On the cranks I’ve not made my mind yet, but recently saw a video from Rob, dated from 2018, suggesting some 152mm cranks from Miranda.

Hope this helps. Think you’ll like the mullet setup

Mtb247

Apr 12, 2020
2.6 has enough traction for me vs rolling resistance / range. Also, I’ve read others mentioning they prefer 2.6 after trying 2.8.

On the cranks I’ve not made my mind yet, but recently saw a video from Rob, dated from 2018, suggesting some 152mm cranks from Miranda.

Hope this helps. Think you’ll like the mullet setup
I prefer the 2.8. It has more braking traction. I ride a lot a broken square edge rocks mixed with slick rock.

Last edited:

wattermelon1

May 7, 2019
Utah
I need help/ So I bought a 27.5 rear wheel and the difference is that the disc is a bolt-on. Still has a 12-speed cassette and the wheel fits on the bike and rides well. My problem is that there does not appear to be enough room to fit the magnet part to engage the motor. Do I need another wheel of am I doing something wrong?

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@wattermelon1 - If it’s a steel rotor you can just slap on a small neodymium magnet, if it’s alloy just glue one on. I’ve done both (best to add a drop of glue even on a steel disc to prevent slippage).

Here’s one glued on a wheel I use interchangeably between my Stumpjumper and LevoSL:

4ADBC657-3A17-477B-A3CE-D1AFD33CA0D9.jpeg

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I need help/ So I bought a 27.5 rear wheel and the difference is that the disc is a bolt-on. Still has a 12-speed cassette and the wheel fits on the bike and rides well. My problem is that there does not appear to be enough room to fit the magnet part to engage the motor. Do I need another wheel of am I doing something wrong?

I had the same predicament, I attained my magnet from Berkshire Bikes in Uk, most likely a closer dealer

specialized Part# S194200016

LBS changed the wheel circumference whilst plugged in for software update, though wanted to see the wheel fitted

F5BBFE53-1154-4376-8189-A77FD2CDC056.jpeg
8CBD3536-205E-46B6-86CE-789725D8B6AF.jpeg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles