Levo Gen 2 2021 Levo Comp Purchased...now what?

drm31078

Dec 31, 2020
Charlotte, NC USA
So I just took delivery of a 2021 Levo Comp. This is my first e-bike and an upgrade to my 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 8. A lot of new technology to say the least.

I purchased an invisiframe kit and a mud guard. What other changes do people recommend? Different chain ring? Bottom Bracket guard?

This has the Fox 36 Rhythm fork and Fox Float DPS Performance shock. For the suspension tuning are there any tokens that I should be removing or adding? Or just follow the setup guide that fox publishes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Different chain ring? Bottom Bracket guard?
If you're riding in particularly rocky terrain, Berkshire cycles do a really nice aluminium guard.

Chain ring, really depends on what terrain you're riding, how you ride and so on. If you find you're mainly using the higher gears (less teeth) and not really getting even spread through the cassette, you might want to consider upping the chainring.

For suspension, it will all depend on your weight, how you like the bike to feel. There are guides and these should get you close, but a lot will again depend on the terrain you ride and how you ride.

Firstly, just enjoy the hell out of it :)

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
It maps your ride .
Has a speedometer , gives an elevation map , power output by motor and rider .
You can use it to set the power assistance of your motor . It doesn`t report in to Specialized ...

Tim22

Jan 15, 2020
Boise, Id
So I just took delivery of a 2021 Levo Comp. This is my first e-bike and an upgrade to my 2008 Trek Fuel Ex 8. A lot of new technology to say the least.

I purchased an invisiframe kit and a mud guard. What other changes do people recommend? Different chain ring? Bottom Bracket guard?

This has the Fox 36 Rhythm fork and Fox Float DPS Performance shock. For the suspension tuning are there any tokens that I should be removing or adding? Or just follow the setup guide that fox publishes.

I use this guard. Works great! E-Bike Skid Plate — AirPro Fork

SoCal Rider

Feb 21, 2021
Southern California
I got my ‘21 Turbo Levo Comp a month ago. My first eMTB. I‘ve bought several new bikes and I am usually one to change a bunch of components right off the bat. But after spending time on the Levo I don’t feel a need to make any big changes. Most importantly for me, it’s a proper XL, with sufficient stack and top tube length to make seated pedaling super comfortable.

The only changes I’m considering at the moment are 220mm rotors to increase stopping power. Unfortunately I haven’t found any that use the centerlock interface, so I may look at getting a burlier wheelset that uses 6-bolt hubs.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks mate....I am in he states, so will have to see whats available to ship over the water.

What about the flip chip? What position?
Experiment with everything to see what you like (flip chips, suspension settings, tyre pressures, tyres.....................the list goes on)/

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
I got my ‘21 Turbo Levo Comp a month ago. My first eMTB. I‘ve bought several new bikes and I am usually one to change a bunch of components right off the bat. But after spending time on the Levo I don’t feel a need to make any big changes. Most importantly for me, it’s a proper XL, with sufficient stack and top tube length to make seated pedaling super comfortable.

The only changes I’m considering at the moment are 220mm rotors to increase stopping power. Unfortunately I haven’t found any that use the centerlock interface, so I may look at getting a burlier wheelset that uses 6-bolt hubs.

This can get you there without changing the wheelset.

FYI, I found that the '21 Comp wheelset actually has welded rims. The spokes are sh!t and you can expect some number of the paltry 28-of-them-per-wheel to fail, but the rear hub actually has a steel freewheel body and has a conventional pawl drive (i.e. does not have the new "Sylence"-derived drive that is apparently unreliable), both of which are good things in the context of the eMTB. I am getting better spokes so I can rebuild the wheels, YMMV especially if you're not a wheelbuilder yourself.

Airpro

Nov 18, 2018
Boise, idaho

On our Comps, we run the flip chip in the high position to help cornering traction and ground clearance and stability in the rocks. Also installed Cushcores and run 15 psi front and 20 in the rear. Levociraptor speed harness and an Airpro bashguard and trailwatts battery extender. Keep your rear axle tight and keep an eye on the rear brake caliper pin. Keep water away from the tcu at all costs:

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Take off the rotors, clean them with brake cleaner and 220 grit wet dry sandpaper , preferably glued to a square of 1/4" flat safety glass. Do the same for the brake pads. Retest before you spend more moola. Results can be impressive. It partially cures my desire to go to 220 mm .

GL1

Oct 22, 2020
Golden, Colorado USA
Setup tubeless and figure out your rear wheel setup especially. I found the original rear Spec tire to be lacking, front Butcher is still original at 1200 but chunking and will be replaced within the week. I use a DH tire on the rear and higher pressure now (32-35) and it's been fine. I have considered a crush core as early on I was running too low of pressure and dented the rim a few times. Pulled them out with channel locks okay but a new rear wheel is on the list. The wheelset the Comp comes with is meh.

I added carbon bars and it made a huge difference in feel.

Otherwise at 1200 miles it's been great. Just replaced cassette and chain and it's like a new bike and had a battery warranty 100 miles ago they think because I tried to charge it when the battery was maybe too cold. But full warranty. Took a week and I was off and running again.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
You’ll enjoy this bike — it’s a great ride, whatever some say here. Get to know it. Make the best of what you have before mucking about. Get better riding the bike you bought. Take some guided coaching once that’s allowed again. However fit you are, get fitter.
Having said all that...
Fork: ring up a great fork service/tuning company, explain what you ride, your weight and fitness and take their advice. In the U.K. try TF Tuned. Where you are, not sure. I’d remove one spacer and up to 160 from 150.
Brakes: think about what you like. Late braker? Love modulation? Just want the anchors on at the last moment? There’s something better for each. I’d put on MT5’s with 220f/200b e-discs.
Tyres: I’m sure you know the options. The Butchers aren’t that sticky. I’d go Assegai/Minion
Cassette: I’d make sure you use steel.
Chain ring: rated up to 34t, some use 36t. I need 34t to get from a—>b.
Shock: It’s fine.
Frame: Put on a simple set of wrap strips
Seat Post: It’s fine, but service it every few rides — important.
Electrics: Lots of ideas about this in this forum. Putting electric tape round the TCU is effective and within the warranty if you remove it before taking to LBS ? Wash with bucket and brush. Avoid detergents altogether — it’s just mud.
Chain: These don’t last a long on e-bikes unless you keep clean and lubed.
Mudguards: Front, lots of choices. Rear, the best is the Sicom MTB Products guard which comes in two parts, is the business and I see the website is being rebuilt as vs3 is coming out, odd as version 2 is fine on a 2020 and I thought the 2021 frame is unchanged, but could be wrong, sorry.

Did I say this is a great bike to ride? Hope so, ‘cos this is a great bike to ride and I sometimes wonder about comments here saying it isn’t. They’re either really good, say pro level, in which case fair enough, or they have the wrong size frame maybe...

Last edited:

08mojo

Jan 26, 2021
GA, USA
Enjoy the bike! I too recently picked up a comp.

I built a new wheelset day 1, as I'm heavy at 220lbs and the trails by me are very rocky. No doubt, the wheels on my bike take a beating and I didn't have much faith in the stock wheels. I went with DT Swiss EX511 rims, DT swiss competition spokes and Factor hubs.

I found the stock brakes underpowered. I recently swapped to Shimano Saints and 220/203 magura rotors. Huge improvement and would be my first suggestion on what to change.

Lastly, I've also swapped the front fork to a Fox 38 Grip 2. Big improvement, this fork lives up to the hype.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles