• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered 2021 fox 38 factory

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've ran out of options and ideas and fox's response just baffles me.

I've got the 2021 fox 38 factory and cannot get the wrist wrecking nature of these forks to quite down.

I've tried all and no spacers, 15 and 30% sag, fully backed of LSC/ HSC. Doesn't matter if I put 100psi or 130psi, sag sits at 20%, only at 140psi do I get 15%. I'm 100kg kitted.

I emailed fox and they said to run no spacers, 30% sag and reduce tyre pressure.. I bottom out super easy at 30% sag with no spacers and I run super low tyre psi 20 in front on a DD casing, any less and they squirm.

I've reased any pressure build up in the lowers and cycled equalisation every 20 psi several times with no difference to sag or small bump sensitivity.

I've ran a shockwiz and the HSC is sat in the red but I've ran out of adjustments.

Does any of this sound familiar with anyone? About to throw them in the bin and move back to RS.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Hi all,

I've got the 2021 fox 38 factory and cannot get the wrist wrecking nature of these forks to quite down.

I've tried all and no spacers, 15 and 30% sag, fully backed of LSC/ HSC. Doesn't matter if I put 100psi or 130psi, sag sits at 20%, only at 140psi do I get 15%. I'm 100kg kitted.

I emailed fox and they said to run no spacers, 30% sag and reduce tyre pressure.. I bottom out super easy at 30% sag with no spacers and I run super low tyre psi 20 in front on a DD casing, any less and they squirm.

I've reased any pressure build up in the lowers and cycled equalisation every 20 psi several times with no difference to sag or small bump sensitivity.

I've ran a shockwiz and the HSC is sat in the red but I've ran out of adjustments.

Does any of this sound familiar with anyone? About to throw them in the bin and move back to RS.

I weigh about the same and Shockwiz has me at about 77psi if I want a soft, planted feeling fork. Compression settings are backed off all the way. Still not as plush as my previous bike's Ohlins, but much better than the Fox recommended settings.

I also did remove any excess grease in the cartridge.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Another thing is, are your forks emtb specific? Mine are standard 38 factory. So I weigh myself in gear whilst also holding the battery 92kg. That gives around 105 psi for 20% sag.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Another thing is, are your forks emtb specific? Mine are standard 38 factory. So I weigh myself in gear whilst also holding the battery 92kg. That gives around 105 psi for 20% sag.
They're not ebike specific, but I set sag fully kitted up with everything I take on trail.

I've booked them in for a strip down as I don't have the tools for a 38 and a custom tune to give me some additional HSC adjustment.

If that doesn't fix the issue, I'll fit zebs.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
I weigh about the same and Shockwiz has me at about 77psi if I want a soft, planted feeling fork. Compression settings are backed off all the way. Still not as plush as my previous bike's Ohlins, but much better than the Fox recommended settings.

I also did remove any excess grease in the cartridge.
77psi gives me 52% sag ?, im too aggressive for soft/planted.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
So the forks are on their way back to me from being stripped down. There was a blockage with excess grease and what was described as enough grease to service 50 forks. The shim stack has been adjusted too so hopefully they're perfect now and I'm off to BPW next week.

smokin joe's

Jun 21, 2021
north yorks
Hi all,

hmm seems strange I would set them at the factory setting for your weight (same as me i may add proper man lol) I run 3 tokens not much low-pressure high rebound set to about halfway fully open all the time, lower leg again just set it to the middle of the range on both I don't bottom out very often my local ride in Dalby forest for testing my forks there not perfect but I can ride much harder over rock gardens, etc .its the reason why I chose them wrist pain , sometimes going too soft has the opposite effect go firm first your partner will happy too,( sry Yorkshire wit:) the ideal scenario is to ride a section with al lot of rocks and a drop if possible and make small adjustments if its worse go back to original setting make a note of the setting you started with .rock shox better than fox many debates which is better I always prefer fox, just my 2 bobs worth that's 10p to you young chaps under 50 :)

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Jodi the Fox suspension guru says on the Dailed YouTube channel that the shockwiz is clueless with the latest 38s.
The new valving is designed to allow the fork to work no matter what you have the adjusters set to.
Mind you I still haven't managed to get mine where I like them ?

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Jodi the Fox suspension guru says on the Dailed YouTube channel that the shockwiz is clueless with the latest 38s.
The new valving is designed to allow the fork to work no matter what you have the adjusters set to.
Mind you I still haven't managed to get mine where I like them ?
I use the shockwiz to sanity check my manual adjustments. I used it to confirm the harshness before sending them off. Just fitted the freshly serviced/tuned forks and already I can feel how much smoother they are from pressing them down. No more sucking in to lowers and sag is bang on.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Hi all,

I’m 100kg. I’d recommend to set your air pressure to achieve 30% sag. Increase spacers one at a time to prevent bottom out. Consider using cushcore with a thick sidewall tire and run 18psi. No squirm and the cushcores will do wonders to your suppleness and tire traction at lower pressures. If that still doesn’t work. Sell it and get the Zeb ultimate. ?

Everytime I ride my Zeb I’m amazed at how good it is compared to my other forks. I don’t have a Fox 38 but I do have a 2021 Fox 36 Factory. My Fox 36 rides okay but it makes a “clack” sound occasionally when pushed hard. My Zeb has been bulletproof and super easy to setup properly and small bump compliance is outstanding. Just keep in mind I’m also running cushcores.

Last edited:

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
I’m 100kg. I’d recommend to set your air pressure to achieve 30% sag. Increase spacers one at a time to prevent bottom out. Consider using cushcore with a thick sidewall tire and run 18psi. No squirm and the cushcores will do wonders to your suppleness and tire traction at lower pressures. If that still doesn’t work. Sell it and get the Zeb ultimate. ?

Everytime I ride my Zeb I’m amazed at how good it is compared to my other forks. I don’t have a Fox 38 but I do have a 2021 Fox 36 Factory. My Fox 36 rides okay but it makes a “clack” sound occasionally when pushed hard. My Zeb has been bulletproof and super easy to setup properly and small bump compliance is outstanding. Just keep in mind I’m also running cushcores.
I'm all sorted now, strip down and custom tune has made the 38 unbelievably good.

114psi gives me 20% sag, hsc no longer needs to be fully open to compensate harshness and rebound is up a few clicks. It's like butter on small hits and just eats the large ones .

No spacers needed, used 90% of travel on some big hits with room for oh shit moments.

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
So the forks are on their way back to me from being stripped down. There was a blockage with excess grease and what was described as enough grease to service 50 forks. The shim stack has been adjusted too so hopefully they're perfect now and I'm off to BPW next week.

Hopefully that's problem solved then! Makes me wonder if I should check the 38s that came on my GFs Mega 297.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles