2021 e sommet head set bearings

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
if you ask wiggle/crc nicely, as I did, and point out its a known issue, they should send you the kit. I just said mine is now feeling the effects of this issue, starting to notch, please send me a replacement and I will fit them (easy job for me, I am was a Motorcycle mechanic).

BTW I had my bike from Wiggle, they have been great so far, very pleased with them.
(I am aware crc are just another name for the same company)
Would you do me a kindness Dave please, and photograph the parts and post them here? My replacement headset, which came direct from Across (paid by CRC), does not have any extra parts, such that you describe.

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
bearings include this plastic ring (similar to old one) but also includes the two cable-guide-seals:
(not shown well are the holes which the cables feed through, but you get the idea)
cable-guides-seals.jpg

Pasho

May 7, 2021
London
I had the same issue with the lower bearing in the end of last year. Acros support insisted on replacing the whole cup assembly as the block couldn't be removed, they also said the the bearing is pressed in such a way, that knocking it out would leave part of it in the cup permanently. CRC compensated the purchase. Less than a year later - the bearing is dead again. So annoying! Pressing in the cups requires disconnecting the cables and brake bleeding. What an awesome design!

Did they actually come up with a solution for this? Waterproofing the headset and making the lower cup repairable?

Is the solution to seal it with silicone? Seriously?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the blockstop cup in favour of a normal one, which would be serviceable. Anyone tried?

Is there an alternative headset? I found this c660a - First Components - but it doesn't seem they sell it. There is also an FSA internal routing system, which involves the handlebar and stem, could be even worse...

UPDATE:

Got in touch with Acros and they indeed made few improvements and sent me the new parts:

- New lower cup with bearing protection - some sort of rubber seal.
- Top cup cover with rubber plugs for cable holes to waterproof them.
- Custom headset press adapters to avoid breaking the cables.

Swapping the top cover will still require undoing the cables and brake bleeding. My local cycle mechanics aren't too excited.

I also ordered and received the First Components headset, will use it if Acros fails again.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles