Levo Gen 2 2020 TL Comp Cassette Replacement

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
It is time to replace the cassette on my2020 Levo Comp. I'm out of my depth and confused again.

I assumed it would be an easy choice as there is so much interchangeability in the SRAM range. As the bike has a GX long derailleur I assumed that I could get any "GX-compatible cassette " . A quick check and I discover that the GX cassette ( XG1150/75) are 10-42, whilst the COMP OE is the NX's PG-1130 11-42. 11-42 vs 10-42 seems fine then I read that the PG and XG have different 'drivers'.

I appreciate the easy option is to replace like-for like ( PG-1130 ) but what are the practical differences in operation and installation for these different cassettes? I can see the weight differences and price, that is clear.

I also read the GX is a better vfm solution then x01 et al so I can see why Specialized would choose it , so why then would Specialized have chosen to use a NX cassette rather than one of the XG cassettes to save not a lot ?

Thanks

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
NX range has all steel cogs (thats why it is heavier) and uses a Shimano driver which is more robust/strong design as XD (usually ebikes hubs also have a steel driver body), becaus of this it should be more suitable and durable for ebikes... On the other hand Shimano driver has limitation for minimum cog size which is 11t, while XD has 10t (I even saw some with 9t cog), but with 10t or less chain would more likely skip if you push pedal harder while having higher support ...

Last edited:

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
NX range has all steel cogs (thats why it is heavier) and uses a Shimano driver which is more robust/strong design as XD (usually ebikes hubs also have a steel driver body), becaus of this it should be more suitable and durable for ebikes... On the other hand Shimano driver has limitation for minimum cog size which is 11t, while XD has 10t (I even saw some with 9t cog), but with 10t or less chain could easily skip if you push pedal more with higher support...
Thanks very much , that is very thorough. Obviously then a good idea to replace with PG-1130 ( or other steel bodied compatible cassette) as I don't intend changing other parts of the drivetrain.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles