2020 Rampage Ampage - Fossil Class

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I've been at the Mountain Biking lark for a good ten months now, so if I'm going to get picked up for next years Rampage Ampage - Fossil class, I guess I need to up my game !

First step I guess is to transform my "falling off" into "falling off with style" .. Then improve that to "Falling off with Magnificence".

It's a busy horsey day here in Zimmer land, so made an early start on making a "kicker ramp" into the sand arena. I'm guessing if I just hit at about 25kph, pull back, lean back, relax, I should pop in a nice backwards 360 and land on the sand about 4 meters away - what can go wrong ! Once I've mastered a backwards 360, I figure wheelies and manuals should come a lot easier than they do now.

Next step is the "canyon leap". I'm thinking more speed is required and would like to include at least a 360, but with the distance, I'm thinking a 720 should easily be possible.

Maybe smooth off the kicker ramp slightly and hit with more speed. The ground on the far side of the arena slopes down slightly, so perfect for landing. I need to know how fast to go to clear 4 metres before the arena, 20 ish meters of arena, slightly more maybe as I'll be at an angle and then a couple of meters to put me in the landing area. So lets say 28 meters. I can't help but think I'm going to need to de-restrict the bike to get the necessary take off speed due to lack of downhill run up.

rampage.jpg

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Hell, I got told off for taking the tabletop during last Wednesdays racing :whistle:

Russ ... WTF are you doing jumping shit? FFS, how old are you? - damn near a pensioner I bet .... grow the fonk up :censored:

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
I've been at the Mountain Biking lark for a good ten months now, so if I'm going to get picked up for next years Rampage Ampage - Fossil class, I guess I need to up my game !

First step I guess is to transform my "falling off" into "falling off with style" .. Then improve that to "Falling off with Magnificence".

It's a busy horsey day here in Zimmer land, so made an early start on making a "kicker ramp" into the sand arena. I'm guessing if I just hit at about 25kph, pull back, lean back, relax, I should pop in a nice backwards 360 and land on the sand about 4 meters away - what can go wrong ! Once I've mastered a backwards 360, I figure wheelies and manuals should come a lot easier than they do now.

Next step is the "canyon leap". I'm thinking more speed is required and would like to include at least a 360, but with the distance, I'm thinking a 720 should easily be possible.

Maybe smooth off the kicker ramp slightly and hit with more speed. The ground on the far side of the arena slopes down slightly, so perfect for landing. I need to know how fast to go to clear 4 metres before the arena, 20 ish meters of arena, slightly more maybe as I'll be at an angle and then a couple of meters to put me in the landing area. So lets say 28 meters. I can't help but think I'm going to need to de-restrict the bike to get the necessary take off speed due to lack of downhill run up.

View attachment 21805
Don’t think you will need to much landing area zim, as it seems to me your skills will only allow you to do a 180, which will mean you will be landing on your head (so stopping quite quickly) with plenty of style obviously - don’t forget when you get back to your feet, smile a lot, so it looks like you meant to do it this way.....hope this is helpful ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Don’t think you will need to much landing area zim, as it seems to me your skills will only allow you to do a 180, which will mean you will be landing on your head (so stopping quite quickly) with plenty of style obviously - don’t forget when you get back to your feet, smile a lot, so it looks like you meant to do it this way.....hope this is helpful ?

180's good. I can accept that. It's halfway to my goal.

Head's good too, at least it's not a vital limb at risk.

Taking your advice on board though, just so I can have a second go, I think a bigger helmet with more crumple zone is probably a good idea, This one has a nice curvature which will help with springing back onto my feet.

helmet.jpg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I see in the photo that there's an electric fence tape pulled across your flight path. Is that to fire up the turbo boosters?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I see in the photo that there's an electric fence tape pulled across your flight path. Is that to fire up the turbo boosters?

Damn, you've sussed out my master plan for the e-bike simulated canyon jump ! @Beekeeper is secretly working on my new "honey fuelled" eco rockets. The main issue at the moment is designing the thrust and combustion section to comply with the 25kph limits.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
... 360's, back flips, 720's........ I'm guessing (from your recent ride reports), that your 'suicide no handers', have been successfully mastered, hence the reason for moving on to new tricks..? :unsure:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I knd of thought that @Zimmerframe just taking his hands off the bars while riding straight on level ground was akin to a suicide no-hander :whistle:

That's what it is isn't it ?? :) Anyway, my normal routine and crowd pleaser is the suicide no-biker. ("crowd" normally being whatever passing rodent/bird/forest dweller has witnessed my most recent downfall and choked itself from a pseudobulbar attack) .. uhm .. that could be one for @steve_sordy

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ah!
Pseudobulbar affect (PBA), or emotional incontinence, is a type of emotional disturbance characterized by uncontrollable episodes of crying and/or laughing, or other emotional displays. PBA occurs secondary to a neurologic disorder or brain injury.

You are referring to my prior use of a little used word. Your assumption that my use of the word "senescence" in the correct way and in context implies some higher order of logomania. Of course I refute that, because it's bollocks. :LOL:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
@Zimmerframe While I can acquiesce that @steve_sordy has on occasion applied the use of a word or so that is infrequently articulated, I would be remiss if I disregarded the certitude that although they are not common vernacular there is something to be said about someone whom can turn a common discussion into something erudite.

..... meh .............. WTF ..................... STFU Russ

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles