2020 Comp Fork upgrade, worth it?

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
Hello all, newb seeking for advise. Getting ready to pick my 2020 Comp, it comes with RockShox Lyrik Select RC forks (basic Lyric) I had been riding a 2017 Levo Expert with Pike RC forks, I am a trail rider, no big jumps or aggressive stuff.
So my question is: Is it worth to upgrade the forks considering my riding style? Some of my friends tell me to get “Top shelf” Fox Factory 36 for much better comfort and control. Is it worth to upgrade or am I drinking too much fork Kool-Aid? How good are my Basic Lyric RC? Info is scarce on this particular model. Thanks In advance.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Correct me if you know better but apart from the name I cannot see any difference between this fork and the Revelation on the 2019 Comp.
They seem to be a little difficult to get dialled which I think is due to the debonair air spring being a bit fussy with set up. Once properly set up they are fine. Maybe not as plush as a Pike but good mid stroke support. I think for anyone 80kg or less that is not hitting big jumps/drops they work best with no tokens, comparatively low pressure and rebound set pretty fast.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
The Lyrik Selct fork is ok for trail riding that isn't too aggressive. Once you start pushing it you might find the damper to be lacking as it gives no support so you'll need to find all the support from the air side by running lots of tokens and/or pressure to compensate.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I was wondering the same thing as the op and had initially been looking to swap for a fox 36, in part because I've always ridden Fox and that's what I'm used to. I am exclusively a trail rider. However, after quite a bit of reading it seems that a possibly better, and certainly less expensive option would be to just get a charger 2.1 RC2 damper upgrade kit for the Lyrik Select. It's nice to have the option but it wouldn't be necessary if Specialized had simply chosen the Select+ (or ultimate) instead of the base model fork for the comp. Although the damper upgrade kits aren't cheap, they are a lot less than upgrading the whole fork and I've read good things about it in the 2020 Lyrik Ultimate reviews. Apparently it's also possible to increase the travel with a very cheap debonair swap. Which someone asked about in a different thread, but I haven't seen any reply's yet.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The bladder design of the 2.1 damper does not look like an easy diy fit or service.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Hello all, newb seeking for advise. Getting ready to pick my 2020 Comp, it comes with RockShox Lyrik Select RC forks (basic Lyric) I had been riding a 2017 Levo Expert with Pike RC forks, I am a trail rider, no big jumps or aggressive stuff.
So my question is: Is it worth to upgrade the forks considering my riding style? Some of my friends tell me to get “Top shelf” Fox Factory 36 for much better comfort and control. Is it worth to upgrade or am I drinking too much fork Kool-Aid? How good are my Basic Lyric RC? Info is scarce on this particular model. Thanks In advance.

If you like your 2017 pike, the lyric is basically the same fork. 2017 pike used the current lyric chassis (lowers) don’t listen to your friends btw.. lyric will be money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles