639697F4-39DC-457B-9BE8-90C82D9005B5.jpeg

Manufacturer: Bulls
Model: E-Stream EVO AM 3
Model Year: 2020
Price Paid: 5800
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 9

Review: My YouTube Review

Initial impressions after first ride of my new 2020 Bulls E-Stream EVO AM 3 full suspension e-mountain bike with the Brose S-MAG motor. Bulls is a German bike company that has entered the US bike in the last half decade with an office and warehouse in Southern California. They have a range of EMTBs with Shimano, Bosch, and Brose motors. This EVO AM series came equipped with the Brose S-Mag (Sport Motor with Magnesium casing), a highly rated class 1 motor providing up to 90NM of torque; in the U.S. you can also find this motor equipped on the very popular Specialized Turbo Levo.The Brose S-mag motor and value compared to the Specialized Turbo Levo is what drew the to this bike. I am impressed with the value and performance of the components. The Fox Suspension combined with the plus size 2.8 tires makes for a very confidence inspiring, forgiving, and comfortable ride. Brose motor is remarkably quiet, surprisingly powerful, and very natural in the way it provides assistance through the pedals; by far the most impressive performance I’ve ridden (and I’ve ridden the Shimano E8000 and the newest Yamaha PX-2). The Blocks 14D display/controller is mounted near the left grip, is very readable in bright light and provides total mileage, trip mileage, and remaining miles of battery for the assistance level currently selected. It has levels 1-3 that are pedal cadence (rpm) based giving you the full assistance of that level if you’re within that wide cadence range. Level 4 is their Flex Mode, it is both cadence and torque based in delivering assistance; which it needs to keep from applying too much power before you want it. Level 4 provides up to 90NM of torque and it’s impressive. Also it has a walk assistance mode that is very helpful should you fail to make a climb. The massive 750 amp hour battery has barely flinched on my normal park rides, it eliminates all battery range fears. Feel free to ask questions in the comments.

Some things I didn’t mention in the video are in screenshots of the specs below.

Here are the initial changes made to the bike:

Converted to Tubeless (drops approx. 1.5 to 2.0 lbs of weight).

RaceFace Next R Carbon 35 fat bars. 800mm width, 35mm Rise. (OEM: Bulls Aluminum 31.6, 760mm width, maybe 10mm of rise)

RaceFace Aeffect 40mm Stem (OEM: MonkeyLink 60mm powered stem).

RaceFace Aeffect Emtb crank arms, 165mm (OEM: Miranda Delta emtb specific cranks, 165mm). These were replaced due to a slightly bent crank arm (that I believe happened during shipping).

Ergon E-Mountain Core Prime Saddle, Men’s, Medium/Large. (OEM: Bulls brand saddle).

OneUp Components Composite Flat pedals (OEM: Bulls brand “Huffy” pedals).

Canondale Aluminum Bottle Cage (OEM: MonkeyLink magnetic bottle attachment, same mounting system as Fidlock USA Brand).

8C306E87-5A2C-4E0E-9AD0-3734EB839CFA.jpeg

639697F4-39DC-457B-9BE8-90C82D9005B5.jpeg

064ECB69-9839-4195-93DF-B90A4606CE60.jpeg

E103DDC1-DD4F-49C5-82AD-716E5DF1FB4E.jpeg

9AA18519-E9EC-4E14-9988-D7246F88072D.jpeg

379F935C-DFBB-4A21-9077-6403C34D635D.jpeg

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Nice bike. They are selling them here in San Diego for only $3999. I think they might be sold out of the AM3 2019. I was able to get one new rider to buy one and at that price it's such a steal. The AM4 is going for about $4500. and I think they do have some of those left. If I didn't have my 2018 Focus Jam2 C 45 lb bike I might be tempted. I love that Brose motor.

Jun 23, 2020
Colorado Springs
Nice bike. They are selling them here in San Diego for only $3999. I think they might be sold out of the AM3 2019. I was able to get one new rider to buy one and at that price it's such a steal. The AM4 is going for about $4500. and I think they do have some of those left. If I didn't have my 2018 Focus Jam2 C 45 lb bike I might be tempted. I love that Brose motor.

I love the Brose motor too, it’s nice having a surplus of power for those days you burn yourself out. I have found myself occasionally worrying about frying a motor, since it’s been known to happen with the Brose, but apparently there is a new firmware update for the newer motors like my S-MAG that has virtually stopped all the belt failures on the motors. So I’ll be in the shop soon to get that updated and I’ll leave those worries behind. I’m in love with this bike though, with the adjustments I made to the cockpit, the bike fits me so well and it rides like a dream. Those 27.5” Plus size (2.8) tires are awesome, they make the ride smoother and more fun at the same time; they float over sections of sand and loose terrain with confidence. And the battery life on this thing, just wow!

ActionJ

May 24, 2021
Brisbane
Hey mate,

I've got the exact same bike over here in Oz except for Rockshock and SLX running gear. Absolute weapon of a bike especially since I changed to 2.5 width tyre, really hooks up and the motor is sublime. I'm going to go some fatter bars just not any longer as some of the tracks here are tight and the extra width would be annoying and some shorter cranks as well.

Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles