2019 Turbo Levo battery storage level

Oldnomad52

Apr 29, 2019
Wanaka, New Zealand
Wondering what % level I should be keeping my battery at during the winter when I'm not riding regularly. I have heard that keeping them at 100% for extended periods is not good for them, The manual says to keep them between 30% and 39% if being stored for extended periods but nothing about keeping them fully charged all the time. I have read that keeping Lithium ion batteries fully charged and not using them is not good for them.
Any info appreciated.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
You are right there don't keep it fully charged for long periods I think anything from 40 to 60% is a good level from what I've read on this forum ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
there is plenty of advice on the internet regarding the best management of the latest Li-on battery cells. As a bove the general advice is not to allow the battery to completely discharge but also do not charge to 100% other than occasionally. The longest life of a battery ( number of charging cycles) seems to be if the battery is mostly used between 80% charged and 20% charged. So for long terms storage the best option as stated above is to have the battery partially charged and occasional check it and charge it partially.....keeping it at between 30% and 50%. Just as important is to keep it at reasonable constant temperature and humidity.....anywhere inside the house away from any direct sources of heat is ideal.
ps the same applies to batteries in cameras like Gopro etc. We of course abuse the batteries in our phones because they are in constant use we want them charged to 100% when possible.....maybe time however to stop charging to 100% if we want them to outlast the contract period!!!!:unsure:

Oldnomad52

Apr 29, 2019
Wanaka, New Zealand
there is plenty of advice on the internet regarding the best management of the latest Li-on battery cells. As a bove the general advice is not to allow the battery to completely discharge but also do not charge to 100% other than occasionally. The longest life of a battery ( number of charging cycles) seems to be if the battery is mostly used between 80% charged and 20% charged. So for long terms storage the best option as stated above is to have the battery partially charged and occasional check it and charge it partially.....keeping it at between 30% and 50%. Just as important is to keep it at reasonable constant temperature and humidity.....anywhere inside the house away from any direct sources of heat is ideal.
ps the same applies to batteries in cameras like Gopro etc. We of course abuse the batteries in our phones because they are in constant use we want them charged to 100% when possible.....maybe time however to stop charging to 100% if we want them to outlast the contract period!!!!:unsure:
Hi

Do you think Specialized will have built some safety margin into there Levo batteries ?? ie although the battery shows 100% is it feasibly to think that the battery is not actually 100% full. This is all controlling by there software and charger. Or will the charger fill it up to 100% fully knowing that this can be detrimental to the life of the battery.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The supplied charger does I believe include a battery management system evidenced by the amount of time it takes to charge the last 20% or so compared to charging from say 10% to 80%. I do not know the answer to your specific question but my guess is that is does charge each cell to maximum voltage whilst at the same time equalising the voltage in each cell. After all Spec would want the rider to experience the maximum range from the battery. The point is however, that unless you need a full charge for a specific ride it is better to only charge it to 90%...…….and occasionally charge it 100%. Obviously I you want maximum range then charge it fully.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles