2019 Trance E +2 Pro which replacement chain?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I also need to replace my Fathom E+2 pro chain soon, but I can't find no where to buy the original KMC e.10 Turbo chain...

I have a shimano ebike 10 chain... should I install this? no problems at all? It comes with no fast link, but I have a new KMC fast link for 10 gears chains... is it compatible?

Do you know how many links do I need? To buy a new one before removing current one if needed :D

Thanks!!!

Length: I'd start by counting the links on the original. This is maybe the easiest way to be certain your getting it at least as correct as it is now.

The shimano 10 speed chain is fine, provided it is long enough.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Thank you!!! The original is 116 links (58 pieces). The shimano is big enough, is the CN 6090. It says that is for shimano motors, but obviously it will work well with shimano cassettes and rings :)

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Thank you!!! The original is 116 links (58 pieces). The shimano is big enough, is the CN 6090. It says that is for shimano motors, but obviously it will work well with shimano cassettes and rings :)
I have used that same chain on many sunrace and shimano cassettes without any issue.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I've installed the sunrace CSMS3 10 Speed 11-42 cassette, and I do think it shifts quicker and queiter than the hyperglide cassette when using a Connex-10Se chain.
I'm replying to my own post to make a correction. After a good tough ride today in super tacky dirt, with lots of climbs and some new trail that I haven't quite figured out shift points on, I'm now pretty sure the Connex-10Se chain shifts no better on the sunrace than on the hyperglide.

The Connex-10Se chain may or may not out-last the others (time will tell), it does not shift as smooth as a shimano, sram, or kmc chain, in my ealry opinion.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The connex 10Se lasted longer than my other chains.

My gaint trance doesn't have an Odometer display?, and now the software wont even connect?, so my previous guess-t-mation method figuring miles based roughly on charge cycles is impossible.

It's a tough chain..it may well outlive a cassette (mine did). Will it last forever?

No.

It took me about 75 days to stretch the connex 10Se to .5%.

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
This might be of interest to you guys
Chain Testing - Zero Friction Cycling
I've got 2150kms (1350 miles) from the first chain this was lubed at first with WD40 dry lube and at about half distance changed to Squirt wax. The second chain which is another KMC on the original chainwheel and cassette but has been lubed using hot wax immersion since new and has covered 1600kms and so far the wear has been 1mm over the 120 links which equates to .07% so it looks like this method of lubing is paying off.
Some things to note is that even though I'm 100kgs I'm 60 y.o. so I'm not as fit as some of you young blokes. Also in Australia it's reasonably flat my rides average 10 mtrs of climb per kilometre (5.28ft/mile) and normally if it rains (like today) we stay inside.
I've just received a YBN E-10 speed chain. These are good as they are available in 136 links. I'm going to mate this to a 11-42 HG500 and the original chainring as so far there seems to be no wear at all on it. One thing to consider is that if you go down in size on the chainring you increase the amount of force on the chain and the chain also has to turn tighter as it goes around the sprockets meaning more wear on the pins. DSC00498-2.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
FYI to anybody who cares. The other day when I was putting the trance back together after a shock upgrade, I flipped the chain around. It's a non directional chain (Connex-10Se) with about .5 wear on the gauge and I didn't flip it purposely, I just wasnt paying attention.

The bike was skipping in high gear and shifting like a turd. I started looking, and realized the chain was flipped.

I flipped it back and all is normal again.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
Posting a Q on this thread hoping someone can advise on chain rings for 19 Trance E+2.
It comes with a Praxis 36T steel - I would like a 38 or a 40 as I think either would provide better gear ratios for my riding. I never use first, even offroad, and spend quite a bit of time on road with a second wheelset - of course it's always running on that 11t rear.

1. Steel vs alloy? Should I just get a wide/narrow 38T alloy and throw it on there?
2. Do I need new mounting bolts/nuts?
3. Do I need a longer chain, extra couple of links? Or?
4. Should I get a 40T?

We bought a new 21 Stance-E, they have the sport motor and 29" wheels - 38T alloy chain ring and it works much better than my Trance. Open to any suggestions.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I'm guessing u must have de restricted it as even with the 36t u hit the limiter very quickly and pedaling past it for long periods is hard work ? I'm not sure a 40 would fit won't it hit your chainstay ?

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
No de-restrict - US model hits 20mph/32kmh very easily. I might though, for road-going
I don't pedal past it. At least not much, and rarely. 20 is really fast enough.
I haven't tried fitting a larger chain ring yet, hence the query.

EDIT: I just looked - there is plenty of room for any size chain ring to clear the chain stay.
I'm hoping someone has answers for my tech questions. ;)

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Are you over 250 pounds?
A cassette lasts much longer with a good rider.
Shift with less power and maybe do not always use max asist.
I do 6 times better than you.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I'm still wondering even with a 36t 11 rear you probably wouldn't spin out til 28-29mph so 20 would be spinning very slow if u go 40t won't u be along way up the cassette to ride at 20mph at a reasonable cadence ? And then climbs are going to be quite difficult depending on how steep mind we all ride different and different terrain but round mind 40t would be useless even derestricted for me ?

AOT

Apr 12, 2021
So Cal
Posting a Q on this thread hoping someone can advise on chain rings for 19 Trance E+2.
It comes with a Praxis 36T steel - I would like a 38 or a 40 as I think either would provide better gear ratios for my riding. I never use first, even offroad, and spend quite a bit of time on road with a second wheelset - of course it's always running on that 11t rear.
I have the same question, except the opposite. The bike is geared too tall, I haven't even used 8th though 10th gear yet, would like to drop down to a 34T chainring, is this possible?
As for chains, I see this advertised on Ebay - stretch proof chains.
KMC Chain
So is this stretch proof for a ROB but not an EMTB? Will this even work on an EMTB? This is all still new to me.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi chains don't stretch the rollers wear do yes the chain gets longer but doesn't stretch ? as for chainring I'm running 34t with 11-36 rear cassettes are cheap but soon I'm fitting 32t for going to Wales help with steeper stuff I still can't understand why u need anything over a 42t rear on an ebike ? If u drop from 36 down to 32 u will need to remove a few links of chain don't forget ?hope this helps ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles