The Bike:
CA347516-7787-43FB-B033-F4037BC3EC6C.jpeg

Manufacturer: Rocky Mountain
Model: Powerplay
Model Year: 2019
Price Paid: Demo
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 6

Review: Took both the powerplay models out on my local trailS, put 16 miles on each of them 29er and 27.5
Ran them up good climb with a legit enduro run. Both had maxxis tires and fox suspension.
First impression is there motor is without question the quickest responding and def the most natural pedal feel. second impression felt like i had stick rubbing on the chain as you could feel the motor drive sprocket in your feet, similar to chain rubbing on frame or hopped off rear idler wheel. You get used to it quickly as the motor is very silent and the little nubbley feel is subsided after few miles.
Positives, motor is instant, zero lag, draw back to that is on steep climbs the motor shuts down with every over the top pedal stroke and you get that pedal tq bob like with an acoustic bike. Even with more power on tap then I’m used to i struggled to clean loose chunky climbs i generally have no problem cleaning on Brose or steps drive system. But even with that it’s hard not to really like that instant power and it’s so controlled.
So now to the bike, short chain stays so it Was lofting the front wheel on climbs even in mid power levels. Had to lower the seat to keep forward drive on steeper climbs. On the flats the bike got really light feeling and incredibly playful, was really Fallin for this clean sleek beauty, Manuel up over fallen 1m round tree was rather effortless, wasn’t in the plan but couldn’t stop and tree wasn’t there first run. (Surprise)! Trail gettin faster and in chunky sections the bike felt good, was easy to pick lines and change lines last second, then as the speed came all the fun started leaving. Hi speed off chamber turn front got vague and unsettled and had to shock rear to stop the front from leaving, fast rough section rear suspension just turned to garbage and bike became unpredictable. (I tried every possible setting with the original shock and it’s just a miss for this caliber bike) had to slow my sport pace bellow what i normally run on solo ride days to stay stable and predictable and that was enough for me to end my playtime with this powerplay.
the bike I’m sure would be a different Stead if it had a better quality rear shock that was capable of keeping up with the forks.
My score
Playful 8
Fun factor 7
Slow speed stability and nimble 8
High speed stability 3
Power train 7.5
Forks 8
Rear shock 2
Ergo’s 7
The rear shock is really that bad, so if this bike is on your radar i strongly suggest haggling up front for replacement rear shock before you take this baby home.

New rear shock and little motor software tweak to reduce pedal bob and my score card would click up 3 notches easy
CA347516-7787-43FB-B033-F4037BC3EC6C.jpeg

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
I read somewhere the motor shape and placement sits high and it kills a bit the handling in some situations

what about that @Tim29 ?

Thanks for the review, very kind

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
As the owner of a daily commuter 2000+km Altitude C50 with a Debonair Yari and Deluxe, I have noticed no such suspension issues. I'd be interested to know which position the Ride9 was in. From new mine was in pos 1 - 66.1° head angle, highest BB position. I now run it in pos 3 - 65.3° and lowest BB.
I've never noticed anything 'killing' the handling. The only noticeable thing for me with the weight over my Trek pushbike (XL Altitude weighs 24.5kg with pedals), is braking much earlier for corners.
The electric motor in the RM is at the lowest point with a chain primary reduction to an output shaft that incorporates a one-way clutch. It kinda looks bulky, but really isn't. Any effect on left-right handling would primarily be from the battery - same as any other e-mtb.
The Dyname unit uses the torque sensor like a throttle. The more pressure you input through the crank, the more assistance is delivered up to the selected power mode %. It backs off as you do - stop pedalling and it instantly stops delivering. Ease off on the pedal and the assistance is likewise, making it feel very natural.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles