2019 Kenevo Comp 1.2E motor review

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Have had the 2019 Kenevo Comp for a few weeks now and wanted to give some feedback on the performance for those interested in the 1.2E motor that is now being used in the entry level bikes.

The bad:
The 1.2E motor is vastly less powerful than the 1.2 motor found in early model Levo’s and HT’s, the “economy” tune that Specialized have put in the 1.2E has been at the expense of torque. If you like the grunt then this motor isn’t for you, on the other hand if you’re doing all day rides and need the extra range then it will probably be sufficient.
I need to do some comparisons but I think this is now the lowest output ebike currently on the market.

The good:
The power delivery is far more natural than that of the 1.2 & 1.3 motor. No surging even in turbo mode.
Doesn’t seem to have the same overrun of the 1.3 motor which allows for a slightly more natural riding style.
It’s quiet.
Range does seem to be slightly improved but would happily trade a reduced range for the extra power that the regular tune 1.2 motor has.

If you’ve never ridden an ebike before then the 1.2E motor will probably feel amazing, however if you’re coming off a 2017/2018 levo then you might be setting yourself up for dissapointment.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience with firmware updates if it may be possible to load the regular 1.2 software into the motor to unlock the 15% power that has been tuned out for the extra range/economy.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Have had the 2019 Kenevo Comp for a few weeks now and wanted to give some feedback on the performance for those interested in the 1.2E motor that is now being used in the entry level bikes.

The bad:
The 1.2E motor is vastly less powerful than the 1.2 motor found in early model Levo’s and HT’s, the “economy” tune that Specialized have put in the 1.2E has been at the expense of torque. If you like the grunt then this motor isn’t for you, on the other hand if you’re doing all day rides and need the extra range then it will probably be sufficient.
I need to do some comparisons but I think this is now the lowest output ebike currently on the market.

The good:
The power delivery is far more natural than that of the 1.2 & 1.3 motor. No surging even in turbo mode.
Doesn’t seem to have the same overrun of the 1.3 motor which allows for a slightly more natural riding style.
It’s quiet.
Range does seem to be slightly improved but would happily trade a reduced range for the extra power that the regular tune 1.2 motor has.

If you’ve never ridden an ebike before then the 1.2E motor will probably feel amazing, however if you’re coming off a 2017/2018 levo then you might be setting yourself up for dissapointment.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience with firmware updates if it may be possible to load the regular 1.2 software into the motor to unlock the 15% power that has been tuned out for the extra range/economy.

Hi @Kenevo cambo
I can only presume you have the latest .23 software installed as it is a new bike. However, it is worth checking that for starters as it is not the first time they have arrived with .22 ?

Do you use Mission Control or Blevo?
Blevo is a third party App that with give you loads of useful information on you and your Kenevo. One bit in particular, your Maximum Motor Output during a ride. I have a 2017 Levo and it pushes out a max of 650-670 Watts. The 2018 Levo’s are pushing out around the 750-780 mark. It would be interesting to see what your Kenevo comp is doing to compare with the above outputs. You may be pleasantly surprised ?or.... no so pleasantly surprised ?

It would be good to know either way so you can inform others on the forum.

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
Here is the data from mission control app. Blevo had the same data.

08BE49A5-E51F-4C4B-947A-EE5D40C3BF0E.png

23D2E043-B5C4-4393-962E-9960C1B84602.png

Kenevo cambo

Sep 7, 2018
Australia
For some reason Blevo isn’t saving my data from my ride so can’t post up the results. I’m realtime data I saw a peak power of 590watts which is what mission control is also saying (589 watts).

All that aside this post was just to inform the ebike community that the 1.2E is definitely a compromise when it comes to outright power vs economy.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Agreed, which is why we need a little bit more info if you can so everyone is clear.

What you see riding and what you see once finished is sometimes quite different. Also, I have noticed and tested a few times now that the maximum power output actually drops as the battery discharges.

On my 2017 Levo I get 630 to 680 Watts between 100% and down to 60% of the battery level.
It then steadily drops.
At 50% battery level I couldn’t get any more than 610 Watts max motor power no matter how hard I pushed down on the pedals.

At 25% battery level this drops to 570 Watts
At 5% it is between 550 and 530 Watts

If you can’t supply Blevo info, On Mission Control what do you get on the screen below?

452D6836-5CCC-43F8-98EE-26FABD8B4FB1.jpeg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
On my 2017 Levo I get 630 to 680 Watts between 100% and down to 60% of the battery level.
It then steadily drops.
At 50% battery level I couldn’t get any more than 610 Watts max motor power no matter how hard I pushed down on the pedals.
Interesting... that’s what I mentioned in my long term Levo review on YouTube. I can notice the power drop towards the end of the battery.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It then steadily drops.

At 25% battery level this drops to 570 Watts
At 5% it is between 550 and 530 Watts

Interesting... that’s what I mentioned in my long term Levo review on YouTube. I can notice the power drop towards the end of the battery.

That's down to the voltage drop as the battery discharges. The drop isn't linear; there is an initial peak, which then plateaus and the voltage drops more slowly before it then drops off a cliff as the cells become depleted.
Typical-discharge-curve-of-lithium-ion-battery.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles