2019 Cube Stereo Hybrid 160

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I thought I’d start a build thread for project a 2019 Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 ActionTeam 500
I have acquired a frame set c/w brand new motor (warranty replacement) a battery and charger
I am planning on slowly turning this into my first eMTB by scouring eBay etc for parts

5831D34E-B4CB-45C4-8F42-394C3C23C8AA.jpeg

EDIT
I forgot to say that this isn’t how I received the frame.
I spend a day removing the stickers and some alternative to Heli Tape then cleaning and polishing it. I stripped the swinging arm off to check the bearings and lubed it all before reassembly

Last edited:

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I had a bit of a coop when I managed to convince the guy I got the frame set off to sell me the other bits he wasn’t using.
The Shock was the main thing as it was specifically made by Fox for this frame
Cassette
Mech
Shifter
Rear axel
Nuke Proof Stem, but I probably won’t use this

424D8178-5578-4B09-9C64-AF5C73BFCA65.jpeg

Last edited:

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
A couple of small but vital parts arrived today
Following some advice on thread here I’ve bought a Superstar tapered head set. Can’t go wrong for £35 considering a Hope is £95 interested to see how it lasts and how it performs.
When I got the frame the mech hanger was missing. Once again the forum to the rescue when a couple of users pointed me to the part I needed and to Infinity cycles as a source. Thank you to them and to Georgie from Infinity who pulled the stops out to get me the right part. I always like to have a spare hanger, even though I’ve never smashed one despite trashing a couple of mechs over the years, so I ordered two. Only to find the original still attached to the mech when I picked it up ? so if anyone needs one I’ve got a spare spare

F5F97B8C-B0BB-43AD-B96D-02A807AED4F9.jpeg

A3EF60CD-1D14-46C8-9239-09CCA45A8640.jpeg

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
How did you come across a frame & motor only? Do cube sell them seperately? Sounds like a good idea & you'd save a ton using peoples offcast parts.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
I was very lucky, a friend fell out with the motor after 3 failures so he stripped the bike for parts to build an Alpine. Again lucky for me he let me have all the bits that weren’t suitable for next to nothing. I only needed fork, brakes, wheels, seat post, stem and bars, plus the usual consumables
I don’t think you can buy a frame set from any manufacturer ATM that might change however from experience it usually cost more to build a bike to a custom spec, with new parts, but you get exactly the bike you want. I have done some rough costings to build to factory spec excluding the cost of the frame
Complete build using new parts £6800
My part build using new parts £3500
My part build using second hand parts £2000
Since the bike retails at £7500 new and sell for around £4000 used it doesn’t seem like this will be cost effective for most people, I was very lucky to be given the frame and motor and to buy the shock and gear set for peanuts
I am enjoying the process though and I’m getting up to speed with how much the industry has moved on in the last 10 years

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
So the parts are going to be coming think and fast this next week or two. I think I’ve managed to source everything I need but it’s been more difficult than I expected. Has anyone else noticed the shortage of new parts? I’ve had as much trouble getting new bits as finding used ones. I had orders cancelled, not been able to checkout a basket because sold between choosing and paying and just not delivered after payment. I’ve had to end up buying a brake set from 4 different places
Still I’m looking forward to cracking on with it

Today’s haul, there should have been a stem as well but out of stock ?
E06A4E79-9B3F-4F1A-B472-E6D843CF71EE.jpeg

D5A0D77B-717E-4046-8AE2-F965ABA75DEB.jpeg

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
How did you come across a frame & motor only? Do cube sell them seperately? Sounds like a good idea & you'd save a ton using peoples offcast parts.

You can get Cube ebike frames from here HYBRID | SchlierseerBikeparts | Hausham

I built up a Stereo Hybrid 140 TM I got from there originally was going to modify it to accept the Bosch gen 4 motor as part of my product design course but wasn’t able to get hold of the motor at the time. Ended up building it up with the parts I wanted when they came on sale so it has a lot better spec than what it originally came with.

Didn’t like the original colour of it so did a full vinyl wrap on it as well not sure I’d do that again though

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Today was a good day thanks to Bike Wheels Direct. Some how Russell managed to fix me up with a set of Hope Fortus 30W Wheels despite a 6-7 week factory lead time. Super happy

F18F738A-FF30-4553-8029-7746A3E2A62F.jpeg
2D275073-62E9-4E78-8350-E46725BFAE5C.jpeg

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Also this turned up much to my relief after buying from a stranger on Facebook
I would have ideally gone for Shinny Orange but when you’re buying second hand options are limited
Fox 36 Float Factory Grip 2
Kashima 15x110mm 170mm
I’m not sure how I’ll go on setting up a Grip2 fork there’s an awful lot of variables but I’ll give it a shot

EB55188F-CCC0-43F9-BE3B-53028068155C.jpeg
E9187C70-FF10-43D8-AEA0-BC3B566C18E5.jpeg
AD2CC3EC-5441-47D4-A24F-CFE5FD468166.jpeg
3F2F46F0-4AA3-4BA6-AE5F-AA58BD55C626.jpeg

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Tha latest piece of the puzzle just turned
I order these via Amazon who took the money and said they were despatched, then cancelled the order!
I could find any 2.6 in the UK so I ordered these from Germany bike-discount.de. It didn’t hit the minimum spend though so I HAD to get the Park Tool Routing kit. It suited me ?

6B2D84E6-1CD8-41D3-8960-DF81EC2831A0.jpeg

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Thank you I’m enjoying the learning curve

I have made a start this evening. First thing is to route the cables and brake line. I’m hoping to do it without taking the motor out, I have taken the bash guard and both the outer covers off the motor and I think I can do it, although I’m going to have to get the tool to remove the sprocket so I can completely remove the drive side cover
Just doing a bit more research on the original routes used by Cube

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
My 2020 version of your bike has a plastic 'tray' with hose/cable guides along the edges. Its fitted underneath the battery mounting system, but the guides sit outboard of it to fit the hoses etc.
If yours has the same, you may have trouble with the rear brake hose being a braided steel one as its a fair bit bigger than the standard plastic hose.

Did I also notice a mech hanger for the frame, already fitted to the rear mech you got?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Another tip for routing the rear brake hose.
Do it with the suspension fully compressed, as the hose 'shortens' under the suspension travel.
When its at rest, you will think there's too much hose, but it will be right.
Also I wouldn't hard mount the hose to the seatstay point.
Mine has a small O ring looped around the hose and the O ring is zip tied to the mount point. It just helps the hose to move as it needs to, but still fixed out of the way

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
It was a pain to route the rear brake hose with the motor in when I tried it, I ended up removing the first two bolts so it could swing down and I could check that the hose wasn’t going in kinked. You have to get all the cabling right otherwise it’s absolutely shitful to get the plastic guards on again.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Thanks for the comments
@MrPeaski yes I also noticed the hanger after I had order two from Infinity ?
The 2020 is HPC and Gen4 isn’t it?
No plastic tray in mine just a sheet stuck over, I’m going to see if I can order a new one. If I can’t I might just improvise something. I’ll post a picture later
I’m going to have to remove the shock so I’ll have full suspension movement, the speed sensor cable has a loop inside the housing to allow for the suspension travel
The O ring is a good tip. It looks as if the brake line should follow the speed sensor out of the seat tube and into the seat stay and exit at the same point. The braided hose is slightly bigger but I think it will be OK

@cemoz I think you are right, the motor will probable be coming out once I get the tool to remove the chain ring. The lock nut is quite badly marked so I’m going to order a new one since it’s coming off anyway

I’m not sure about the gear cable, I can see where it exits the seat tube but it appears that’s it. There’s no facility to route through the seat stay, there looks like what might be a place for a zip tie so I’m going to keep scouring Google images for an answer
ANSWER there is a route through the seat stay despite it looking far too tight. You can make it out if you zoom in on this image
346B7E43-C3D0-46DB-9B1D-6ED242E51083.jpeg

The main thing I’m trying to decide is wether to swap the brake hose to exit on the right of the down tube with the dropper cable, in the UK we have the rear brake on the left so the hose would flow much better if I did. Ideally that would mean moving the display cable to the left with the gear cable. However I do it I will have three cables going to the left side of the bars and on only space to exit two either side so one will have to loop back
Unless someone has a solution

Last edited:

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Yes the 2020 is HPC and Gen4 motor.
As stock the cables/hoses came like this through the plastic guides...
Right side
Top = Rear Brake
Bottom = Dropper post
Left side
Top = Gear cable
Bottom = Kiox Cable
and looked like this from the front
20210507_083822.jpg

I have recently swapped things around so that the dropper and rear hose are now on the left, with the Kiox cable and gear cable on the right, with everything getting shortened (except Kiox cable) to tidy things up. The only cable that crosses the head tube is the front brake as above.

The Kiox mount also got moved over to the right.

Last edited:

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
This is what the cables look like now

20210605_101923.jpg

And a couple to detail the brake hose mount to the chainstay
20210605_102008.jpg

20210605_102123.jpg

There's a plastic 'P' clip attached to the chainstay which the small O ring is looped over. The O ring is then zip tied to the hose.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
That’s great info @MrPeaski thanks for the pictures
So your bike came from the factory the way I was going to do mine, so that is possible
The way you have re routed the front looks great actually I might have to steal this set up. It will save me moving the display as well
The whole point is to stop the cables rubbing the frame, so until I get the front end built up I won’t really know
The rear end is completely different to mine. I’ll get some pictures up when I get chance. It’s happy families ATM Mrs Beaker seems to put more stock by a wedding anniversary than bike building. Will they ever learn ?

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Looking closely at the pic with the wheel in and a closer look on Cubes page for your bike, there doesn't appear to be a hose mount on the seat stay. It looks like its either zip tied or fixed with a 'P' clip and button head bolt just at the end of the speed sensor.
The upper loop of hose is left free (from Cubes page)
hose-fix.jpg

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
I’m in Australia so have the rear brake on the left as well, you can cross the cables in the frame close to the battery lock mechanism. I put a piece of thin foam sheet underneath them so they can’t move around. Yeah there is no hose mount on the seatstay I ran mine over the speed sensor cable in the tube and then used a black Velcro strap from an old pump to tie it to the stay. My bike is black so it’s not really noticeable.

I no longer have to worry about the ex hubby so built my bike in the lounge room?

F8C30718-80E9-4A36-BAF3-C8211375363E.jpeg

It’s a bit of a mess here the correct size shock hadn’t arrived yet plus other parts. I hadn’t quite finished the vinyl wrapping, it was late and I stupidly installed the frame chainstay upside down thankfully caught that before the motor went in. I had to install everything including putting the battery holder and locking mechanism together thankfully could look at the manual for that. It’s in the manual that someone linked on the site if you ever need it.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Looking good @cemoz love the stealth look, crazy that we’re building the same bike at the same time. They’re going be very different when they’re finished though
I’ve been looking for a manual, there’s not much on Cube site just general info and links to 3rd party sites. I’ve searched on here but can’t find the link don’t suppose you have it do you?

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Looking good @cemoz love the stealth look, crazy that we’re building the same bike at the same time. They’re going be very different when they’re finished though
I’ve been looking for a manual, there’s not much on Cube site just general info and links to 3rd party sites. I’ve searched on here but can’t find the link don’t suppose you have it do you?

Thanks Beaker, yep definitely different I have a thing for coil shocks just like how they ride, mines a small frame as well.
Here’s the link I used for some stuff Bosch 2020 Dealer Manual - EMTB Forums
It’s not for our bikes year but a lot of the Bosch stuff wiring etc is virtually the same, also look at the Gee Milner ebike build videos on YouTube the Haibike one helped me, obviously different frame it uses the same gen motor as our bikes though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles