Hi,

Looking for a gold colored chain to use on my 2018 Turbo Levo,

Can anyone advise which one please?

must the chain be E - bike specific?

Thanks for any help offered,

derby

Feb 2, 2019
San Anselmo, California
After my original 2018 Levo KMC X11e (e-bike specific) chain was worn to more than 75%, after about 800 miles with a very wet and muddy first 3 months in early 2019 when my Levo was new, I replaced with a gold finished KMC X11 SL I had waiting for my Hightower which I rarely ride now unless traveling to places banning ebikes except where motorcycle legal. I have not changed the gold light weight chain and now have over 2600 miles on my Levo, through a near drought winter and spring in 2020 here in the SF Bay Area. The chain wear has been much slower, and hovering at 75% chain wear on a Park chain length tool for a few months lately, probaly about 500 miles after the chain tool showed 75% wear. I figure that I will be changing the cassette and possibly ring when I put a new chain on, so have been continuing to ride the now 80~85% worn chain. It's mainly the same trails but not the same riding conditions for both chain, but I really feel that the KMC X11 SL gold chain has much better wear than the original KMC X11e e-bike specific chain. I see no advantage using the ebike specific KMC X11e vs. a non-ebike specific gold KMC chain. I catually thin the gold KMC is longer lasting. Other brands of chains might differ more.

I do use Squirt lube every 20~30 miles off pavement or before riding again after a wet ride. I've measured for many years that my chains "stretch" or wear at less than half the rate using Squirt lube than any high priced wet lube or chain-saw oil, and is far better in keeping the chain working and shifting well during wet muddy or dusty dry conditions than wet lubes. There may be similar very concentrated water emulsified wax "dry" lubes as Squirt. My theory is that Squirt does not absorb water and hold dirt like all wet lubes do. The dirt in the mud or dust grind the chain links to wear more rapidly. Wet lube have been tested to have lower friction in clean conditions such as most road pavement riding. I imagine the "dry" lubes higher friction become equalized to a wet lube when riding off pavement after the first miles and excess dry lube wax drops off and the wet lube had absorbed dust or mud causing increased friction, while a high quality dry lube such as Squirt continues to resist absorbing dirt.

Seven

May 17, 2020
Sheffield
Excellent reply, thanks so much for taking the time,

I'll try the KMC X11 SL,

Just wasn't sure if it'd be tough enough to use on an E-bike so reading your response is great,

Joe

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Hi,

Looking for a gold colored chain to use on my 2018 Turbo Levo,

Can anyone advise which one please?

must the chain be E - bike specific?

Thanks for any help offered,

SRAM Eagle 1x12 - a bit more of an upgrade than a new chain but ticks the bling factor box ?

9ED5EAFD-2D19-48B3-AE02-52D7C23E4603.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles