2.3" tyres on Focus rim?

Dickgam

Aug 24, 2022
Middlesbrough
I have a 2019 Focus Jam with the Race Face AR 40 rims. I have changed the front to a Minion DHF 2.6 and was wondering as I have a either a nearly new Maxis shorty 2.3" or 2.3" Schwalbe Magic Mary how will the be on the rim? Will the profile of the tyre be too square?

Cheers for your thoughts.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use the WTB chart for tyre width vs internal rim width.

Tire & Rim Fit Chart

Page down until you get to the "Mountain" chart.
It has rim widths across the top in mm and tyre widths down the left in mm (2.3" is 58mm)

The chart says that they are outside of the optimum performance band but are right in the middle of the compatible band. If your tyres are designated "WT" for Wide Trail", then you should be OK.

The Scwhalbe tyre/rim chart says they are not recommended

Tire Dimensions

You may have to change the language from German to English (top right, click, select).

Go for "Which tyre fits which rim?" and page down.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
So you have the tyres and the wheel to fit it on already. Air is free so why not just try it and take your own word for it?

Dickgam

Aug 24, 2022
Middlesbrough

Tire & Rim Fit Chart

It has rim widths across the top in mm and tyre widths down the left in mm (2.3" is 58mm)

The chart says that they are outside of the optimum performance band but are right in the middle of the compatible band. If your tyres are designated "WT" for Wide Trail", then you should be OK.

Tire Dimensions

You may have to change the language from German to English (top right, click, select).

Will do, Thank you.

Dickgam

Aug 24, 2022
Middlesbrough
So you have the tyres and the wheel to fit it on already. Air is free so why not just try it and take your own word for it?
Your right, I was just asking if anyone had tried it. I don't think the Magic Mary is tubeless compatible so may just tube it,

Thanks.

Dickgam

Aug 24, 2022
Middlesbrough

Tire & Rim Fit Chart

Tire Dimensions

Hi,

I have looked at the charts and your right what you are saying. I may try the Maxis "Shorty", at least they will be both Maxis when it gets a bit muddier. Cheers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles