Other 1st ride after chain waxing. Metal dust???!!

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
Hi,

Just what the title says. Today I rode first time after hot melt waxing my chain (full cleaning, methylated alcohol and all..).

The feeling is just awesome, up shift, downshift whatever I throw at it. I don't kmow why but it did hesitate to go from the 2nd small gear to the smallest gear, I had to adjust the microshift for that.

The issue is, after riding and cleaning the bike when I returned home to make the final cleaning, I found a lot of metallic dust and black dust in the chain when I passed a rag on it.

Am I eating(grinding, didn't felt like it) my cassette or chain? Or is it normal?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
That doesn't sound right - it isn't my experience. I'd get nothing from wiping my chain - maybe some dusty wax. It is mostly dry where I ride, so I clean and wax every 100km. If it goes to 120km, it's still good. I pour near boiling water over the chain in a sieve to clean. Then I leave it in molten wax (I've put some teflon powder in the wax) for about 5mins or so. You don't want to take the chain out while the wax is too hot - it needs to be a good consistency so that all the wax doesn't drain out from inside the links.

Reactions: MSH

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
That doesn't sound right - it isn't my experience. I'd get nothing from wiping my chain - maybe some dusty wax. It is mostly dry where I ride, so I clean and wax every 100km. If it goes to 120km, it's still good. I pour near boiling water over the chain in a sieve to clean. Then I leave it in molten wax (I've put some teflon powder in the wax) for about 5mins or so. You don't want to take the chain out while the wax is too hot - it needs to be a good consistency so that all the wax doesn't drain out from inside the links.
I see that you are following the same recipe as the one I'm following. It worries me then those metal dust is the chain. Goddamn it what am I doing wrong??

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
I think I know where this dust is coming from. I'm eating up my cassette. I passed a magnet over the dust collected on the ground and it didn't stick. Being an aluminum Xx1 cassette well... If it were ferrous I would think the chain but I see that the chain is OK.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles