155mm crank rabbit hole...

DB88MOTO

Apr 25, 2020
BC Canada
Just curious if anyone has tried some 155mm cranks on their Santa Cruz Bullit or Heckler.. Lots of new articles have come to light lately abut this. My buddy swears by them. He just switched ,but rides an analog Nomad... So not much to go by.. I'm 5.5 ft (167cm) and ride medium MX Bullit. Reading that these shorter cranks benefit a shorter rider... Maybe it's just a way for the bike industry to sell more parts to people... (Insert Facepalm here.)lol .. Would love to hear some thoughts on this.. Cheers From Canada.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I don't ride a Santa Cruz but I do ride 155mm cranks and as rod9301 says "No more pedal strikes".

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Just curious if anyone has tried some 155mm cranks on their Santa Cruz Bullit or Heckler..

I'm on a Heckler, but I'm a bit taller than you. I was curious about 155's, but I'm also cheap and didn't want to pony up for the 5DEV's. I went with some less expensive 160's instead. Frankly, I can't tell the difference while riding.

The only difference was that I had to move my saddle up to compensate for the decreased pedal stroke. I already have a pretty long leg-reach, and my saddle his higher than most. I really don't want a shorter crank that will force me to move the saddle even higher.

My friend who is about your height runs 155's and loves them.

DB88MOTO

Apr 25, 2020
BC Canada
Thanks for all the replies. My only issue at this point is finding a reasonable priced set of 155 cranks. 5dev and Miranda seem like the only companies that make 155 cranks for the EP8. 5dev are super expensive and Miranda are super cheap... Anyone know any other companies making these. Cheers to all who responded.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Thanks for all the replies. My only issue at this point is finding a reasonable priced set of 155 cranks. 5dev and Miranda seem like the only companies that make 155 cranks for the EP8. 5dev are super expensive and Miranda are super cheap... Anyone know any other companies making these. Cheers to all who responded.
Miranda makes good cranks and their carbon cranks are not cheap.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I fitted Hope 155 cranks on my Whyte E180RS. Yes, the most immediate difference is increased ground clearance so less need to half pedal when you might otherwise get a pedal strike.
I did notice another difference ( positive) however. It may differ from bike to bike depending on the seat post angle relative to the bb position but on my bike I noticed how much easier it was moving the bike from a standstill or near standstill presumably because the most difficult part of the pedal stroke....(12 O clock) is on a smaller radius and therefore easier to push through it.

DB88MOTO

Apr 25, 2020
BC Canada
I fitted Hope 155 cranks on my Whyte E180RS. Yes, the most immediate difference is increased ground clearance so less need to half pedal when you might otherwise get a pedal strike.
I did notice another difference ( positive) however. It may differ from bike to bike depending on the seat post angle relative to the bb position but on my bike I noticed how much easier it was moving the bike from a standstill or near standstill presumably because the most difficult part of the pedal stroke....(12 O clock) is on a smaller radius and therefore easier to push through it.
The Hope crank look nice as with all there parts. Unfortunately they don't make a 155mm for Shimano.. I definitely get a ton of pedal strikes here on the west coast of Canada. Lots of rocks...

I put 155 on my levo carbon comp. I am about your height and have had an increase in range because the rpm are higher up in the torch curve and 90% less petrol strikes. Go for it. . I also have a very nice computer on the levo and it shows me the power savings versus rpm and gears, which is all a function of a crank size turning on the shaft.

Gilbo

Nov 16, 2022
Isle of man
Just curious if anyone has tried some 155mm cranks on their Santa Cruz Bullit or Heckler.. Lots of new articles have come to light lately abut this. My buddy swears by them. He just switched ,but rides an analog Nomad... So not much to go by.. I'm 5.5 ft (167cm) and ride medium MX Bullit. Reading that these shorter cranks benefit a shorter rider... Maybe it's just a way for the bike industry to sell more parts to people... (Insert Facepalm here.)lol .. Would love to hear some thoughts on this.. Cheers From Canada.
Hi
For me they reduced pedal strikes and definitely improved climbing on loose,muddy or rocky ground as I ride enduro trails. If you ride smooth trails and bike park stuff I can’t see a benefit of spending the money.
I got the Hope 1’s and no complaints

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
2 things to think about with shorter cranks.
1) when you go to shorter cranks, you end up raising the seat and or bars. Shorter cranks effectively moves the peddles up towards the rider at the bottom of the stroke and to keep your peddle stroke efficient.
2) although it matters less on a e bike, the rider looses leverage with a shorter crank arm. On my real mountain bike I ended up reducing my front chain ring from 30 to 28 teeth when I went from 170 mm to 160mm.

Just a fyi

luna87824

Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
My 2 year old runs 155 mm cranks also!

71pVBlQDlwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles