What's the go to rear mudguard for the Levo?

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
I put only the top section of the sicomtb on. I'm not a fan of having to remove the 2020 pivot guard to fit the bottom section. At sag there's probably about a 1 inch gap. I need to figure out a good method to protecting the lower without removing the plastic guard.

Overall fitment of the rear is good but the front mudguard is pretty wobbly. Not a fan of it, they should have one specific for the Lyrik Fork or Fox instead of a universal.

SmartSelect_20191207-215452_Gallery.jpg SmartSelect_20191207-215505_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
I like my version. It's called the Turbo Guard and uses no fasteners but the 2 Specialized provided with on the 2019/2020 Levos and Kenevos, They're for sale here
IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG
IMG_8349.JPG
IMG_8370.JPG

Last edited:

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Following @Jeff H 's idea I used two MuckyNutz face fenders and so far it seems to work. Before and after pics below.
View attachment 23790
View attachment 23791
View attachment 23792 View attachment 23793
View attachment 23794
? Since my post I had to trim more away from the chain area so it’s more like yours. It lasted for a while but eventually broke through to the zip tie slot so replaced it with a Sicomtb dualguard. Pricey but well designed & fits perfectly.

I put only the top section of the sicomtb on. I'm not a fan of having to remove the 2020 pivot guard to fit the bottom section. At sag there's probably about a 1 inch gap. I need to figure out a good method to protecting the lower without removing the plastic guard.

Overall fitment of the rear is good but the front mudguard is pretty wobbly. Not a fan of it, they should have one specific for the Lyrik Fork or Fox instead of a universal.

View attachment 22661 View attachment 22662

@Captain45 - does this soloutuon actually work on the rear (without the bottom section)? i.e. does it stop mud piling up and coating the chain?

One thing I am noticing with my sicomtb rear guard is that when i take decent old man sized jumps it rubs pretty bad, thus I have to get off my bike and tweak it back in place. I am guessing this occurs when the tire flexs from the compression and catches the inside edge of the fender. Not that big of deal crusing but gets annoying quick on the trails.

I am running 29x2.6 eddy currents on a 2019 btw.

@thewrx - which half of the guard rubs? The top or the bottom?

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
@Captain45 - does this soloutuon actually work on the rear (without the bottom section)? i.e. does it stop mud piling up and coating the chain?

Its not perfect but definitely better than nothing, I just had a really muddy ride and havent washed my bike yet. Ill post a pic later tonight of the aftermath with just the top section

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
I just installed a mudhugger sx that I had to modify quite a bit to get about 3/4" clearance above the tire. Working on a solution for the 1 1/2" gap at the bottom that gets bigger with suspension travel. Tie-wrapped on a section of old inner tube to protect the area behind the seat tube that is exposed until I devise a better solution.

IMG_20200107_191635.jpg

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
What modifications did you make?

Had to cut a slot with releifs at the sides to allow the fender to fit over the seat stay brace. The flaps created by the slot neatly tie wrapped to the outside of the brace vs inside giving much more clearance. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the mod before installing.

I might increase the fender clearance if I have problems with the current setup and will take pictures if that happens.

PumpKing

Dec 3, 2019
CA
I received the turbo levo rear mud guard fender from Will on these forums through his ebay link. He ended up sending me a new, revised mudguard free of charge and it just came in today. It is the narrower guard of the two in the comparison pic. The other picture shows the revised guard mounted in combination with a groundkeeper front fender. I can update this thread after a ride, but this looks like it should limit the majority of any mud being flung towards the rear of the bike.

Great price and great customer service. His name is CCBFWILL on ebay if you want to support a fellow emtbf member.

6323518A-71C1-4887-AA2E-4F938C9163F4.jpeg

A47B91B9-4586-4A5E-8DCD-D044030353B2.jpeg

Last edited:

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
I received the turbo levo rear mud guard fender from Will on these forums through his ebay link. He ended up sending me a new, revised mudguard free of charge and it just came in today. It is the narrower guard of the two in the comparison pic. The other picture shows the revised guard mounted in combination with a groundkeeper front fender. I can update this thread after a ride, but this looks like it should limit the majority of any mud being flung towards the rear of the bike.

Great price and great customer service. His name is CCBFWILL on ebay if you want to support a fellow emtbf member.

View attachment 24473

View attachment 24474
Yeah I got one as well. Great service from the guy and also very cheap delivery from US to UK. It's actually pretty good quality as well so great value all round. I'm glad you posted your photo though as I notice you have it going behind the top bridge. I was trying to bend it to fit inside and there just no clearance at all.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I fitted my turbo guard today. Very impressed and I'm certainly a fan of the way it will protect that whole area. The amount of crud I pulled out from all the crevices in there was huge. I actually ended up taking off the rear triangles to get good access/ ( I hope I put it back together properly)

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Further mudguard work today as sickness and back pain prevented actual riding. A combo of 3. The extra large mudhugger and the new Central Coast Bikes Tiurbo Levo guard in place. I then decided to cut up my existing MuckyNutz front-used-as-rear guard to create a little extra protection at the point where the lower arms meet the motor enclosure.
IMG_7516.JPG
IMG_7521.JPG

IMG_7525.JPG

IMG_7523.JPG

Let's see how that lot holds up.

Tim22

Jan 15, 2020
Boise, Id
Further mudguard work today as sickness and back pain prevented actual riding. A combo of 3. The extra large mudhugger and the new Central Coast Bikes Tiurbo Levo guard in place. I then decided to cut up my existing MuckyNutz front-used-as-rear guard to create a little extra protection at the point where the lower arms meet the motor enclosure.
View attachment 24753 View attachment 24754

View attachment 24755
View attachment 24756

Let's see how that lot holds up.
Nice! Thanks

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Mudhugger + Sicomtb dual guard = match made in heaven?

Anyone done this? I have a dual guard but sometimes would like more protection of the seat tube on up to my back. From photos it looks like the mudhugger might fit over the upper dual guard.

Art Negus

May 9, 2020
USA
A word of caution on the Sicomtb rear mudguard. I have a 2020 Levo that came with the 2.6 Butcher tire which I run at 25PSI. I ordered the original Dualguard but found that it rubbed against the tire. I upgraded to the v2. The lower piece is a complete re-design and works well, although you do have to dismantle the suspension to fit it. The upper piece is a joke and remains a very poor design. They shaved a few millimeters off but, as mentioned elsewhere in this forum, it really needs to sit forward of the upper chain stay cross member, otherwise the tire clearance is literally only a few millimeters and instantly clogs with mud! My plan is going to be to keep the lower piece (nice design) and then look at one of the homemade solutions for the upper, probably using the PDF pattern that was kindly posted. I hope this is useful. Happy riding!

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
If it’s open under the swing arm won’t it get in there when you slash through stuff?
Looks good though.
Not sure, but I think it won't...
Got some more info: it's made by a guy who does carbon stuff for MX (and other) motorbikes. The Levo is the only one he made for MTB when a friend asked him to.

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
The thing is I just don't like the way any of the mudguards look and they often fit on with those horrible cable ties which leave marks, and now I have the new Specialized fix fitted to protect that area it doesn't need one now as nothing will get past that fix so i am staying mudguard free :)
Hi. An old thread, but I'm interested in what you mean by the new Specialized fix fitted?
Many thanks

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
@Will Hesch - Do you have any photos of your guard actually working? i.e. in mud? Or any customers who can vouch for its effectiveness?
Robin, we've sold 1,080 units since November 25,2019. We've shipped them to 32 countries with a good percentage of those sent to the UK.

Our website has photos from buyers, check it out: www.centralcoastbikes.com

Here are a few sent from European buyers, mostly from the UK

There are testimonials all over this forum regarding the effectiveness of our Turbo Guard, search: Turbo Guard

20200627_185402.jpg
20200627_185546.jpg
20200829_171443.jpg
Peter Crook from UK Turbo Levo with Guard.jpg
Peter from Slovakia Turbo Guard.jpeg
Yellow Levo with Guard.jpg

715B1F87-2EB3-4606-9D74-460D2BFED51F.jpg

image2.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I‘m quite happy with this Topeak Defender XC11 29". Inexpensive, easy to fit, secure and keeps me clean.

I came back from biking only to park my car and find my Topeak Defender XC11 29" had completely broken off the bike.
It looks like it’s broken off at the struts.

The fender seemed fine on the ride, though I did have significant tire-rubbing pre-ride on full-sag and re-adjusted the fender height/angle afterwards. No crash at all. No brushes with trees, etc. The height of installation/angle seemed reasonable on the ride.

I use a Kuat NV 2.0 rack which does not interfere whatsoever with the fender. I did not come into contact with any tree limbs or overhands with the vehicle/bike.

I did notice a significant amount of whistling at highway speed (60-80 mph) that I assume was the fender. I also noticed that the fender itself was flopping around quite a bit in the air slip-stream (the end is very soft/flexible).

However, when I got home, the fender was completely broken off….and missing. (See photo). It’s just bizarre. Do you think the rubbing had compromised the strength of the struts, then the wind just worked it back and forth and it failed?

It's cold out, about 32F. I'm sure that makes the plastic even more brittle.

Do you keep yours on the bike when traveling on the highway, or do you uninstall it?

IMG_3584.jpg

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
I've been commuting with the Sicom mudguard for several months.
I found it hard to part with the money but believed the development and the bikeshop.
Tbh, I'm really disappointed and nearly got to the point of getting a refund.
Fits great as you'd expect.
Clearance is noisy but to be expected, but
I've come to the conclusion it is a mudguard for the bike and not me.
My backside just gets soaked.
I've left it on and run my topeak defender which does the job properly.

@Blueblob -

I came back from biking only to park my car and find my Topeak Defender XC11 29" had completely broken off the bike.
It looks like it’s broken off at the struts.

The fender seemed fine on the ride, though I did have significant tire-rubbing pre-ride on full-sag and re-adjusted the fender height/angle afterwards. No crash at all. No brushes with trees, etc. The height of installation/angle seemed reasonable on the ride.

I use a Kuat NV 2.0 rack which does not interfere whatsoever with the fender. I did not come into contact with any tree limbs or overhands with the vehicle/bike.

I did notice a significant amount of whistling at highway speed (60-80 mph) that I assume was the fender. I also noticed that the fender itself was flopping around quite a bit in the air slip-stream (the end is very soft/flexible).

However, when I got home, the fender was completely broken off….and missing. (See photo). It’s just bizarre. Do you think the rubbing had compromised the strength of the struts, then the wind just worked it back and forth and it failed?

It's cold out, about 32F. I'm sure that makes the plastic even more brittle.

Do you keep yours on the bike when traveling on the highway, or do you uninstall it?

IMG_3584.jpg

Mimo

Dec 27, 2019
Hillingdon
Hi all. New member here after lurking for a while. I've demoed/lusted after the Turbo Levo for the last couple of years and finally picked up a 2019 Comp about 2 weeks ago. So far loving it! What an amazing ride.

Like others I’m concerned about gunk getting inside the motor housing cover and the suspension pivots during the occasional mud slog or stream crossing, not so much for rider protection. FYI, mine does have the foam baffle.

After seeing what others have done I came up with this for starters. The local shops carry Muckynutz fenders so I grabbed a couple of different models for the fork and went to town. The lower is a Face Fender XL which I used due to the existing slots lining up close enough that I didn’t need to punch new holes (it’s backwards from normal direction). I trimmed the bottom where it extended below the motor and notched it for chain clearance. The upper is a standard Face Fender and again the slots were close enough. Since the seat and chain stays move independently the fenders do the same but stay overlapped through full suspension travel and don’t rub on anything. For now I left the zip ties long for tightening if necessary. Time will tell how well it does the job but I'll probably need to make some adjustments after more miles. I do like the design of that SicoMTB DualGuard. :unsure:

View attachment 14002
Definitely best way to go solution. I was thinking exactly the same after using my Levo for the first time

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles