What did you buy your ebike this week?

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
This week I've upgraded the brakes on my 2020 Levo to Hope Tech3 E4's with Hope rotors, swapped droppers to OneUp Components 120mm vice the 150mm X-Fushion, bumped up the fork travel from Lyrik 150mm to 160mm with a Push ACS3 coil conversion.

I've been on a similiar kick this week. Hope floating rotors. Front from "stock" and a new rear to (sort of) match.
Last week I fitted a bolt on progaurd front mudgaurd. So this week I took some scissors and a craft knife to the old, tie wrap secured one. In order to fashion an extension for the present filthy conditions. Pics below. It looks ok and matches the front better than the mud hugger one below. It can be removed quite easily for when the better weather rolls round. Most importantly I get a cleaner and dryer back/arse.
20191222_220438.jpg
20191222_220429.jpg
20191222_162236.jpg
20191222_220519.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've been on a similiar kick this week. Hope floating rotors. Front from "stock" and a new rear to (sort of) match.
Last week I fitted a bolt on progaurd front mudgaurd. So this week I took some scissors and a craft knife to the old, tie wrap secured one. In order to fashion an extension for the present filthy conditions. Pics below. It looks ok and matches the front better than the mud hugger one below. It can be removed quite easily for when the better weather rolls round. Most importantly I get a cleaner and dryer back/arse. View attachment 23375 View attachment 23376 View attachment 23377 View attachment 23378
So you also cut the seal guard portion off the guard?
and REMOVED mud protection AND stiffness!

How flappy is it when soaked with mud?
Does it buzz your tyre on drops etc.?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

Yeah .. but it LOOKS the nicest of all the "long guards" I've seen ... :)

I stared for ages at it and couldn't work out which bits it was made from and how it was supported .. Be interesting to know how rigid/supported it is ? and if it's even partially "muppet" rated - survivability from regular abnormal lateral impacts and forces.

Even my rear cube race guard would buzz and annoy the hell out of me if you had it within about 8cm of the tyre as it flapped about ..

What's a seal guard ? and where do people ride where seal attack is predominantly a problem ? :)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For commuting I use an extension (ooh... err) on the front RRP long that's attached to my seatstays.
But it's just a lightweight rear polypropelene one like this
Halfords Quick Fit Rear Mudguard
3M Dual lock to attach and two small holes made in the RRP to ziptie it securely in place - removable in seconds.
Keeps road spray at bay nicely.
Off road I don't use the extension at all. Proper long rear mudguards just get in the way/wrecked if you ride proper steep tech, jump, manual or drop a lot.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west

hi Gary, it isn’t buzzy or floppy at the mo but I admit I never though of clay mud. The progaurd is sat over the mudhugger front that is already fitted like a sheath. As luck would have it it’s a very tight fit. The rear part manages to slip under the chain stay brace and is a solid/tight fit between the two. Maybe on a close up view a line can be seen.
Its pretty rigid and got wet and somewhat muddy yesterday without issue. have to wait for thick mud and report back. Really happy with the look and it can be removed in seconds with no permanent modification to the mudhugger underneath.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ah... so do you have the rigidity of the supports of BOTH guards (both ziptied to the seatstays?) working together to INCREASE stiffness?

jabi

May 24, 2019
Finland
Not really this week but on Friday I bought new rear hub for my e160 800. Current axle hub had broke in half for some reason and I noticed only when I was fitting new studded 3" tyre. I tried that it is not noticeable while riding but wheel is not aligned properly and the new massive tyre did not fit properly.

A bit of a bummer that there was no spare axle hub available so I had to order whole rear hub.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Muckynutz front mugguard long: Installed on rear. Idea taken from grandpa B. So far, this is super at keeping the linkage and driveline clean. It fits the trance perfectly. Your results may vary.

Shorty 2.5, zee mech, xt 11-36 cassette. the gearing is a bit to tall for the climbing I do. I've ordered a 32T and 30T chainring (currently at 34 chainring).
20191222_102311.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Not really this week but on Friday I bought new rear hub for my e160 800. Current axle hub had broke in half for some reason and I noticed only when I was fitting new studded 3" tyre. I tried that it is not noticeable while riding but wheel is not aligned properly and the new massive tyre did not fit properly.

A bit of a bummer that there was no spare axle hub available so I had to order whole rear hub.
Did you try a warranty claim? Trek replace my whole wheel when it happened to me.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
hi Gary, it isn’t buzzy or floppy at the mo but I admit I never though of clay mud. The progaurd is sat over the mudhugger front that is already fitted like a sheath. As luck would have it it’s a very tight fit. The rear part manages to slip under the chain stay brace and is a solid/tight fit between the two. Maybe on a close up view a line can be seen.
Its pretty rigid and got wet and somewhat muddy yesterday without issue. have to wait for thick mud and report back. Really happy with the look and it can be removed in seconds with no permanent modification to the mudhugger underneath.

Great idea, I will give this a go (y)
No thick mud where I am in sunny Wales :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: so hopefully this will work a treat on one of my 2019 Levos as I am currently running a 27.5 x 2.5 Maxxis Shorty on the rear so loads of tyre clearance.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just checked me chain with the new chain checker and I've worn it out in 200 miles ?

I’ve never used a chain checker probably because my bike is fairly new but I do intend to get one.
Is this an exact science or are these devices notorious for giving false results? Which is the best one to get?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles