• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Volspeed tuning box for Bosch gen 4

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
So, bring the bike into the lounge room, raise the back wheel, and peddle away by hand,whilst catching up on all the Corona virus latest?
:-D Maybe not such a bad idea... Thinking about using my cordless screwdriver and somehow hooking it to the crank/pedals. Cable ties to push the screwdriver button - and there you go... :-D

Ronster

Sep 9, 2020
Netherlands
I've just had my bosch performance cx 2020 updated, to 1.1.2.0 (got me the 85Nm upgrade)
The volspeed won't even activate anymore, nothing I do can get it to send any signal to my screen/display (also tried tying up the speedsensor in/out connectors to reset the activation code, nothing happens...) not sure if the chip just cut out, if I'm somehow not managing to get it back out of workshop mode, or if they've figured out a way to interfere with the chip's functioning.

Curious if anyone else has experience with 1.1.2.0?

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
My bike was updated to 1.1.2.0 at the shop this Tuesday. I had no problems installing and activating the volspeed 3 afterwards. Everything works as before (only done a small 3km test ride).

Ronster

Sep 9, 2020
Netherlands
My bike was updated to 1.1.2.0 at the shop this Tuesday. I had no problems installing and activating the volspeed 3 afterwards. Everything works as before (only done a small 3km test ride).

You don't know how much I appreciate you telling me this, then there must be something else going on (which I had explicitly not ruled out yet), I'm guessing it somehow doesn't want to get out of workshop mode. Thanks for helping me in my differential diagnosis. ;-)

Long story short for everybody else: Disregard my report on the 1.1.2.0 upgrade. Once I get it working again, I'll let ppl know if there's any 504 errors. I use it 120km per week so should find out soon enough if there's any issue. But first to figure out what's wrong...

gasss

Aug 11, 2020
Barcelona

what about your recently 504 error? have you updated to a new firm after 1.1.0.0 /85nm?, i'm confused

Last edited:

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
what about your recently 504 error? have you updated to a new firm after 1.1.0.0 /85nm?, i'm confused
I understand your confusion. :)
When I got the 504 error, I was on firmware 1.1.0.0.
I had a service on the bike scheduled to Tuesday. So the error was still there when I turned the bike in for service. I was playing stupid, not knowing why or what the 504 error was.
He told me that he updated the software and I can see in the display that it now says 1.1.2.0 (and the error is gone and volspeed working fine again - as long as it last).

Hope it makes sense? I'm from Denmark. :)

gasss

Aug 11, 2020
Barcelona
I understand your confusion. :)
When I got the 504 error, I was on firmware 1.1.0.0.
I had a service on the bike scheduled to Tuesday. So the error was still there when I turned the bike in for service. I was playing stupid, not knowing why or what the 504 error was.
He told me that he updated the software and I can see in the display that it now says 1.1.2.0 (and the error is gone and volspeed working fine again - as long as it last).

Hope it makes sense? I'm from Denmark. :)

Got it thanks, did you update disconnecting volspeed or using workshop mode setup? do you know what's new in 1.1.2.0? have you noticed any change of performance?

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
Got it thanks, did you update disconnecting volspeed or using workshop mode setup? do you know what's new in 1.1.2.0? have you noticed any change of performance?
I removed the volspeed before service/update.
I don't know what's new - but I have Google that it should have something to do with the new generation of displays. But I doubt bosch would tell, if they have made any changes to the "deristrict-detection".

Ronster

Sep 9, 2020
Netherlands
You are correct Daniel, I have managed to get it working again by deleting the access code I had put on it. Apparently the issue here is to do with the display/buttons, and what happened in my case was that the code I needed to use to unlock it (with minus and plus) was no longer recognized correctly by the volspeed.

By resetting the access/security code, the module could apparently recalibrate itself. I will try to reset a code on it tomorrow morning and will report if it works like before again, I expect it will.

Long story short: Prolly not to do with 1.1.2.0 but with display firmware. It's not insurmountable, just mildly annoying. I'm unrestricted again. :cool:

dualview

Aug 6, 2020
Hungary
[/QUOTE]

May I ask how often did you activate the mileage compensation function before the 504 error appeared?
I have driven 800 km with the volspeed v3 set to 32 km/h without error, but I let it compensate the real kilometers driven every day. I don't know if it has anything to do with the 504 error...

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia

May I ask how often did you activate the mileage compensation function before the 504 error appeared?
I have driven 800 km with the volspeed v3 set to 32 km/h without error, but I let it compensate the real kilometers driven every day. I don't know if it has anything to do with the 504 error...
[/QUOTE]
By Mileage compensation function, do you mean leaving the unit on to let it turn off by itself?

gasss

Aug 11, 2020
Barcelona
compensate the real kilometers driven every day ??? :unsure: as far as I know there is no way to do that with volspeed, the countdown to make up for it was with speedbox

dualview

Aug 6, 2020
Hungary
compensate the real kilometers driven every day ??? :unsure: as far as I know there is no way to do that with volspeed, the countdown to make up for it was with speedbox
Volspeed also needs to compensate (according to the last page of the manual), but it's not visible to the user. All chips work by manipulating (dividing) the signal of the speed sensor. If you set the limit to 45 kmh it's almost double to the factory limit, so the total distance shown on the display (which is the real data counted by the chip) will be almost twice the value of the total distance stored in the motor (which is counted by the speed sensors tampered -halved - signal). The bigger you set your limit and longer distance you drive, the greater the difference will be between the 2 values.

Daniel H

Jul 8, 2020
Denmark
Volspeed also needs to compensate (according to the last page of the manual), but it's not visible to the user. All chips work by manipulating (dividing) the signal of the speed sensor. If you set the limit to 45 kmh it's almost double to the factory limit, so the total distance shown on the display (which is the real data counted by the chip) will be almost twice the value of the total distance stored in the motor (which is counted by the speed sensors tampered -halved - signal). The bigger you set your limit and longer distance you drive, the greater the difference will be between the 2 values.
I wasn't aware of that.
So just to be sure I understand... When stopped, the chip keeps sending "signals" to the motor/speed sensor? Until the display and motors counted distance is the same? But what happens, when I in some occasions need to turn of the unit and take it with me as an extra security? Do the chip remember the distance and add then later when possible?
Wondering if resetting "total distance" on the display could be a good idea? (if that's even possible to reset?)

griggle

Jul 30, 2020
UK
Good couple of 100 miles on the Volspeed here with the latest Bosch update, set to 19mph most the time, occasionally up to 25mph sometimes. No problems. Also set it to 40mph once, just to see what it was like :)

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
I installed mine at about 50 miles from new and Im now at over 400 miles total without any faults. My Cube Stereo was updated to the latest 85nm software the day before I collected it from new so has never run the old software and the volspeed together.
id say volspeed is the best money you could ever spend on an ebike, I can't imagine anyone who has ever ridden a de restricted bike ever going back to a restricted one, the current limits just strangle these bikes and they need liberating to their full potential.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Do you guys that have derestricted the motor find that you have a lot less range now due to the fact that the motor is still engaged at higher speeds?

Or does it not make much difference in practice?

Spanner Monkey

Jul 27, 2020
Bournemouth
Ive had rides of 45 miles plus on almost entirely off road surfaces on my 625 wh battery using all modes. up to 15.5 mph there is no difference as the torque output is the same with or without volspeed. the range is more affected by things like headwinds, soft surfaces, steep climbs etc and of course what speed you set your limit to and how often you hit turbo.
you also have to remember that the unit can be switched off entirely at the touch of a button whilst riding if you find yourself short on battery power and a long way from home.

jt-usa

Sep 10, 2020
USA
To be clear - are the recent posters with the "latest Bosch update" running Bosch firmware 1.1.2.0 with Volspeed V3? Is anyone using this device in the USA to raise the assistance limit from 20 mph to a higher value? Is it possible to update the Volspeed V3 firmware with a computer? (I don't see a means on the volspeed.de web site)

Aerotec

Feb 12, 2020
Edinburgh
To be clear - are the recent posters with the "latest Bosch update" running Bosch firmware 1.1.2.0 with Volspeed V3? Is anyone using this device in the USA to raise the assistance limit from 20 mph to a higher value? Is it possible to update the Volspeed V3 firmware with a computer? (I don't see a means on the volspeed.de web site)

1.1.2.0 is very new so I've only seen one post on here from someone using it with the Volspeed. As they mentioned it seems to be an upgrade to support the new Nyon display.

Don't have an answer re USA but I don't think the Volspeed firmware can be upgraded, certainly not by the end user. Changes in bike technology such as combating delimiters seems to have resulted in needing a new device.

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
Well today was the day... I recieved Error 504 this morning. Was riding at about 40Km/h on the intuvia display (38 according to the GPS computer).

Motor: Performance CX 2020 (MY20)
Firmware: 1.1.0.0
Display: Intuvia

My plan is to ride the 90 minuttes of shame, and then restrict the speed limit in the volspeed to 35Km/h and see how that goes...
Very sad to see this. But I have been riding my bike for a month with Volspeed 3.0 and FW 1.1.0.0 with speed limit set at 35km/h. No problem so far. Maybe we need to avoid the higher speeds?

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Hi I've sold my Trek rail and will receive my Canyon grail ON next week with the new Gen 4 cx with latest software update. I really appreciate the thread and will be installing Vol speed 3 based on recommendations. its a 16kg gravel bike so looking forward to extra cruising speed. speed. I see from the bosch web site software is now at 1.1.2.0 not the 1.1.0.0 as mentioned recently. Has anyone any experience with it?

Actually Just saw mention from Aerotec .....any more info from anyone?

Last edited:

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi I've sold my Trek rail and will receive my Canyon grail ON next week with the new Gen 4 cx with latest software update. I really appreciate the thread and will be installing Vol speed 3 based on recommendations. its a 16kg gravel bike so looking forward to extra cruising speed. speed. I see from the bosch web site software is now at 1.1.2.0 not the 1.1.0.0 as mentioned recently. Has anyone any experience with it?

Actually Just saw mention from Aerotec .....any more info from anyone?
Hi Steve, I'm thinking of getting an e-road bike that can handle a bit of off-road too, and the Canyon Grail ON and Specialized Creo EVO SL are both prospective buys. I'd be interested to get your opinion on the Canyon when you get it. In particular, the battery range for a given speed, distance & ascent. Cheers Brian

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
:-D Maybe not such a bad idea... Thinking about using my cordless screwdriver and somehow hooking it to the crank/pedals. Cable ties to push the screwdriver button - and there you go... :-D

Finding an allen key that fits the crank bolt and can fit in the drill is the detail .
I bought a cheap set of allens and used an angle grinder and metal cutting wheel to cut off the straight shaft . One and a half hours at 7-8 KMPH and no 504 error .

That`s 2 strikes with Speed box 3 . 1 with prev firmware one with 85 NM update unfortunately .

Magnum

Jul 23, 2020
Sweden
I've been riding my Gen 4 CX (Firmware 1.1.0.0) with Volspeed 3 for over a month now without the error 504, the speed is set to 35km/h. And I ride it for at least 50km every day. It seems that higher speeds trigger the anti tuning of the motor, not sure how high you can go, but up to 35km/h seems to be safe. I've had two strikes before when I used badAssBox 4.

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Hi Steve, I'm thinking of getting an e-road bike that can handle a bit of off-road too, and the Canyon Grail ON and Specialized Creo EVO SL are both prospective buys. I'd be interested to get your opinion on the Canyon when you get it. In particular, the battery range for a given speed, distance & ascent. Cheers Brian

Sure thing I might start a thread for E Gravel What do you think?

StevEmtb

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
I've been riding my Gen 4 CX (Firmware 1.1.0.0) with Volspeed 3 for over a month now without the error 504, the speed is set to 35km/h. And I ride it for at least 50km every day. It seems that higher speeds trigger the anti tuning of the motor, not sure how high you can go, but up to 35km/h seems to be safe. I've had two strikes before when I used badAssBox 4.

Good to know is there any consensus on this? Would others agree lower speeds are safer? I see Daniel H has it at 38kph Can anyone else confirm this? Id be happy to stick at 35 or better 38 for a trouble free ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles