Vitus/Shimano E8000 range issues

multsync

Oct 11, 2021
Newcastle
I have a Vitus with an E7000 drive. It had issues after a short time and needed a new battery mount plus a new motor. Since it took 6 months for the parts i bought a Scott ebike with a Bosch motor. My intention being to sell whichever came second in a comparison. I recently got my Vitus back from the bike shop and took it out instead of my Scott. I was with a group who had Bosch powered bikes. Halfway through our ride on the Northumbrian fells i had to restrict myself to eco mode only due to battery drain. A short while later i was rider with no assist on flat ground to extend my range. I generally ride at between 150 and 200W so I am not an excessive user of battery. My eco mode is set to 45% assist. The Bosch eco is 60%. I ran out of battery 6 miles from the end. My fellow riders were in Tour mode for about half of our ride and had 2 to 3 bars of battery left at the end.
Comparing my experiences of the two, Bosch has a greater range, Bosch has more power, Bosch has more assist modes and in eMTB more control and response. When power is off the Bosch has no drag unlike the Shimano which was like cycling with flat tyres for the last part of my unpowered ride. And Bosch does seem to be more reliable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles