• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Used chain checker. What now?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My park tools CC 3.2 chain checker just arrived. I have 11 speed KMC. Done 1000 miles

the 0.75 does not quite go in but the 0.50 goes in very easily.

How bad is this? do I need to replace my chain? Do I need to also replace my cassette and front sprocket?

I don’t appear to be having any issues with changing gears at all. All seems to be working well. Any advice?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have done almost 1600 miles on the the original gear and I'm well chuffed with that. The chain is showing less than 0.5% (measuring 100 links with a metal tape measure), but most of the cassette teeth have burrs on the sides. The front ring looks mint, apart from some scuffing. I've already got my spare chain and cassette, but I think I'll leave it a bit longer before fitting them. The existing kit doesn't owe me anything. :)

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
Double and triple check. I’ve found the Park Tool checker can say the chain is anything from perfect to wrecked depending upon how you hold the back end of it.

If it’s still going in easy, new chain. Gives you an excuse to buy more tools.

My wife is still wondering why I needed an electric chainsaw.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you are in any doubt about what the chain checker is telling you, remove the chain and measure it with a metal tape measure. Stretch the chain out on a flat surface and measure 100 links from pin to pin. That will be 50" on a new chain, 50-1/2" on a scrap chain (1%) and 50-3/8" on one at 0.75%. Therefore 50-1/4" on a 0.5% stretch and so forth.

For improved accuracy, don't use the hooked end of the tape, use one of the larger markers instead and do some sums. It also makes it easier if you can persuade someone to hold the idiot end steady over a marker, while you do the clever bit.

crazyethnic

Sep 26, 2018
Australia Victoria
most chains start with .50 or they won't work ,I generally give them the flick between .75 to 100 I clean and lube once a week or if its a real dirty ride after each ride.

levo.jpg

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
If you measure new chain with a ruller pin-to-pin it should be almost exactly 0% wear, if you measure with (conservative) chain checker it could show 0,5%.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I just replaced mine at 0.6, after 2 chain breaks/shortenings. But the cassette now skipped in 9th gear. Had to replace that too.

I think I'll get another chain and swap between them every couple of weeks this time.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I recently did the same.
I swapped my chain as it was at 0.5, but now I'm finding I'm occasionally slipping in the smallest cassette cogs.
New XG-1175 and another new chain ordered today...

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
At 0.75 I replaced chain with identical KMC x11. 1000 miles done. All working well before the change but the 0.75 tempted me to replace

Bike was then totally unridable because of clattering and dangerous chain suck from the Small Bosch T15 front sprocket.

Flipped the sprocket over to the reverse side and all is well. Cassette of 1000 miles working fine with new chain. No skipping in any gear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles