Tyre combo

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Surprised Fat tyres like 2.8 on 35mm rims are not being discussed, particularly if the rider is on the heavier side. Certainly I have identical 2.6 and 2.8 tyres on 35mm rims, same bike, the 2.8 on slightly lower pressure is better than the narrower 2.6 in muddy conditions by some way.

Taking it to the extreme a quad bike on wide tyres at 8psi or even less totally rules the farming communities view on things, just how many farmers still ride two wheeled farm bikes in the mud, not a lot.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Surprised Fat tyres like 2.8 on 35mm rims are not being discussed, particularly if the rider is on the heavier side. Certainly I have identical 2.6 and 2.8 tyres on 35mm rims, same bike, the 2.8 on slightly lower pressure is better than the narrower 2.6 in muddy conditions by some way.

Taking it to the extreme a quad bike on wide tyres at 8psi or even less totally rules the farming communities view on things, just how many farmers still ride two wheeled farm bikes in the mud, not a lot.
Who are you calling fat ?? ;);)??:LOL::LOL:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have to say, I wouldn't put a 2.8 on again if they were free and you paid me. It depends on how you ride. I loved them at the start and I'm sure they have their place. But they're certainly not for everyone.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I have to say, I wouldn't put a 2.8 on again if they were free and you paid me. It depends on how you ride. I loved them at the start and I'm sure they have their place. But they're certainly not for everyone.
Interesting, I guess I’m a fat lazy git who prefers to ride than change tyres summer and winter, same 27.5 x 2.8‘s on the back all year round, just drop the pressure a bit in the sloppy stuff we get soooooooo much of in the U.K. 27.5 2.8’s on the front in the sloppy stuff and then when the trails harden up, on with the 29er 2.4 of the same tyre, mullet style, stops all the vagueness everyone perceives from the 2.8’s sidewall flex at low pressures.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Yep, tried 2.8 tyres on my regular bike, hated the squirminess/vagueness. I'm happy with 2.4 ish tyres all round.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
So I’m in the process of swapping from Magic Mary’s to DHF/DHR2. The front MM is almost new, it’s just the rear that needs replacing. Any one tried running a mix of the two brands. Obvs it will only be until the front MM wears out. Yes it makes sense to just buy a pair but I don’t like waste, the part worn MM will just sit in the shed gathering dust.
I just swapped out DHR2 for new Big Betty on the rear. Not as good on the hard pack trails but noticably better any loose or wet surface.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles