Trek Rail Battery issues revisited

Hi, after reading all about the flying batteries, I took all measures to avoid that on my brand new Rail7. When I was checking all the system I found something I didn't like about the keylock mechanism. So here you go a video about it. 2 youtube links, one on english, and another en español.
Hope brings somo more light about the issue.
Frank
English: Español:
PS: Io sono studente d'italiano, ma non sono abbastanza sicuro per fare un video ;-)

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Interesting! However, like you I followed the instruction pdf and made the adjustments. I've now done 500kms, most of it on rough singletrack, some pretty rowdy descents and some fire road riding as well, without a single issue. I bought some straps for extra security but I'm confident riding without them.

Interesting! However, like you I followed the instruction pdf and made the adjustments. I've now done 500kms, most of it on rough singletrack, some pretty rowdy descents and some fire road riding as well, without a single issue. I bought some straps for extra security but I'm confident riding without them.
Nice to hear that! here only 2 rides , and even though I did the pdf adjustment I found myself looking down from time to time to see if everything is okay. I think one should check this often, because the same weight of the battery, with time, may misalaign it again, or some hard ground hitting after a jump or drop. At least on my Devinci that happened with the Shimano battery.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
Mine did exactly the same thing than in the video. However the battery drop was caused by misaligned frame connectors. Nothing to do with the lock.

Mine did exactly the same thing than in the video. However the battery drop was caused by misaligned frame connectors. Nothing to do with the lock.
Yes, what I'm remarking is that if you add a poorly aligned frame connectors, and the lock freeplay, the flying battery is easy to occur. I'm pretty sure if that the lock freeplay were minimun, the even with a miss aligned holder, the battery wouldn't detach.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I checked my Trek Powerfly 2019 - the lock has the same free play as noted in the video. But after a year, and 2000 Km, my battery never fell out.
Instead I have been concerned about possibly not being able to unlock the battery - as since about a month, I have to turn the key at least 2 times before the battery will detach from the bike.
Given the stories of the battery falling out on the Trek Rail - I'm going to accept that for now.

Last edited:

pragrick

Oct 14, 2020
Prague
Hi, after reading all about the flying batteries, I took all measures to avoid that on my brand new Rail7. When I was checking all the system I found something I didn't like about the keylock mechanism. So here you go a video about it. 2 youtube links, one on english, and another en español.
Frank
PS: Io sono studente d'italiano, ma non sono abbastanza sicuro per fare un video ;-)
Thanks, my battery went for a ride and chipped a large amount of paint. Brought back to the shop and they fixed the lock and Trek gave me a new battery cover. Hopefully this solves the issue

meca06

Dec 1, 2020
Toulouse, France
Frank

Great vid ! I disassembled the lock and it's a shame. The system works on 2 millimeters and has 1mm of play. In addition, I have noticed there is so much play in mine that with a simple screwdriver I can turn the lock. the bike has only 100 km. I have to adjust the battery as well as possible with the procedure but anyway, my 2nd battery does not come out correctly. I have to rule either for one or for the other with the risk of losing the first if I rule so that the 2nd comes out easily. So, to take out the 2nd battery, I use a knife to press on the mechanism and it works ... what a shame for a carbon bike at this price !:mad:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles