Tow bar ebike rack

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
Am looking for a tow bar ebike rack that will take two ebikes, one has plus size tyres am trying to find on.on a tighte budget can anyone help

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland

AML

Mar 12, 2019
USA - Virginia
I would go with 1 up...they are heavy duty and pure aluminum...the locking system is super tight and extremely well made...
Bike Racks – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

I can agree that these racks are great, as I have one already. But he said affordable. Lol these are not :)

I am not sure if it would mate up to a UK ball hitch as I am not familiar with them.

Great hitch, but not cheap.

Srade3

Jun 12, 2019
Santa Cruz, CA
The trouble I have with the above e bike racks, Parma, 1 Up, Buzz Rack, Thule Easy Fold, is that they do NOT fold up close to the car. They stick out permanently and if you are in a tight parking lot and have to back up, it makes it a lot more difficult to estimate distance. With my other regular bike rack, I have unfortunately backed into our wire fence numerous times, and so took it off when not bike riding which was easy to do. But some of these racks are not easy to get on and off and not very lightweight. Which one of these is sold in the USA and easy and lightweight enough to take on and off for a not very strong person. Also the 1 up doesn't appear to come with a ramp, so if you are not very strong, it is difficult to load the bike.

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
One more for BUZZ ( 3 bike rack ) here. Found mine to be robust, easy to fit to the towball but very firm when attached. Prices have crept up a little but still excellent value compared to the usual rip-off suspects!
I always watch in horror as roof bar mounted systems pass me on the motorway-never seen one that didn't wobble and shimmy about.

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
I've had no issues with 2 adult bikes and a largish child's bike on mine. Largest bike goes closest to car.
I'd remove the battery to prevent theft and possibly vibrating loose(highly unlikely) but I'm risk averse!

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
B8B84204-77F4-40DD-A9DA-78E84303E7B7.jpeg

2 bike works for me, battery in the car??

crazymac680

Oct 18, 2018
isle of lewis
I've just bought the Thule th9708. 4 bike carrier. Rated up to 60kg. Hang on tow ball mounted.
Really sturdy. £119 delivered from Rutland cycles but I had £30 points so feels like a steel.

Colin-T-Woods

Jun 15, 2019
North Shropshire
Another Buzz Rack Scorpion here. Just fitted today. Instructions say to remove batteries. Very conscious not to overtighten clamp on to the carbon frame - will probably use an addition strap so I can leave the clamp just snug rather than tight. Had a couple of senior moments when putting it together so if all else fails you could always read the instructions;)
Got 5% off by following this link Buzz Rack Buffalo 4 Bike Tilting Towball Carrier via UKCampsite.co.uk

Buzz.jpg

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
The trouble I have with the above e bike racks, Parma, 1 Up, Buzz Rack, Thule Easy Fold, is that they do NOT fold up close to the car. They stick out permanently and if you are in a tight parking lot and have to back up, it makes it a lot more difficult to estimate distance. With my other regular bike rack, I have unfortunately backed into our wire fence numerous times, and so took it off when not bike riding which was easy to do. But some of these racks are not easy to get on and off and not very lightweight. Which one of these is sold in the USA and easy and lightweight enough to take on and off for a not very strong person. Also the 1 up doesn't appear to come with a ramp, so if you are not very strong, it is difficult to load the bike.

I have the Thule Easifold 3 bike rack and have to agree that it is heavy. However, this is the easiest rack to put on and off I have ever used.

I roll it out of the garage as it has wheels (nice touch, given its weight) and place it on the ground behind the tow ball. The plug can be easily fitted at this point.
Next I lift it onto the ball, push down the lever (think caravan stabiliser) and fold it open - very quick indeed.

Being completely paranoid, when I am doing a long ride (especially in secluded spots), I take it off and chuck it in the car.
So far, not needed a ramp, but there is one available if required.

I can definitely recommend this rack, but cheap it ain't!

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
RacknRoll have added MTB carriers to there stable now along side there dirt bike carriers. Look good so far. They are just working on the folding style.

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

Newbie60

Aug 18, 2019
Leeds
Hi everyone. A newbie here. About to buy 2 ebikes for my wife and I to get us back into cycling, after an utterly convincing test ride, and researching tow ball racks atm. Would the Buzz Rack Scorpion 2 owners mind saying how the bikes are when travelling, ie do they wobble about much and if so does it matter? I like the look of the newer model Buzz Rack e-Scorpion 2 for value, robustness, foldability, extra wheel strap, adjustability of central pillar thing. The conical towball fitting worries me a little but assume well tested. My only concerns are the quality of the straps and that the central frame is narrow with the bike supports branching off and so likely to wobble side to side, if you know what I mean. The Atera and Thule racks have a broader frame base so are probably intrinsically more stable.

Reactions: S D

Matti

Jun 5, 2019
Finland
Hi guys and gals,

After reading your comments, I'm looking to buy the Buzz Rack e-scorpion 2, but am having trouble finding one. It needs to be a webshop because I live in Finland and need it shipped.

The shop which was behind the ukcampsite link will ship but for 75£, which is a bit overwhelming. I would appreciIate a link to a good webshop that sells buzz racks. Before you say it, I have checked the manufacturers website and the stores linked there to no avail.

Cheers.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I was originally going to go with the Kuat NV 2.0 but my wife's ebike has fenders that would not be compatible with that rack (or some of the others we were looking at).

Wound up going with the Saris Superclamp EX-2 which turned out to be less expensive, more compact and lighter to remove/store, and will hold 2 60lb ebikes. Only had my acoustic on it so far but really impressed with stability and ease of loading/unloading.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Also the 1 up doesn't appear to come with a ramp, so if you are not very strong, it is difficult to load the bike.
They are hard to pick up. I usually lift the front wheel and place it in/on the rack and then lift/place the rear wheel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles