The term "acoustic" explained.

>moto<

Jan 4, 2021
Sunshine Coast
I prefer Analog vs Digital, Its the electronic technician in me... but my friend Brad coined Acoustic vs Electric years ago...
Electric can be analogue as well. As is the case with an eMTB. The pedal assist, the defining feature of an eBike is analogue, not digital.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
mtb ..emtb ..simples innit
I agree totally. Sounds like some plonkers are trying hard to complicate matters by introducing more PC crap.
Maybe they haven't heard of K.I.S.S. " Keep it simple stupid".
So, The Hodge, this 74 year old bloke, is going to refer to them as simply mtb or emtb. Maybe that sounds too much like commonsense!

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Kurt Cobain call them unplugged. Then he tried an ebike. I’m think I’m dumb, maybe just happy ... think I’m just happyyyyyy ... and you how the story ends

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
I agree totally. Sounds like some plonkers are trying hard to complicate matters by introducing more PC crap.
Maybe they haven't heard of K.I.S.S. " Keep it simple stupid".
So, The Hodge, this 74 year old bloke, is going to refer to them as simply mtb or emtb. Maybe that sounds too much like commonsense!
Your axe needs an oiling mate. It's grinding like mad.

Didn't want to start a completely new thread for a stupid question. There is an infected debate going on in a Swedish cycling forum right now. Someone called a few people "circle jerks". Being Swedes, they got extremely offended and upset with this sort of name calling.

Question: Is the expression "circle jerks" condescending? And does it generally refer to people in a group that agree with each other?

Didn't want to start a completely new thread for a stupid question. There is an infected debate going on in a Swedish cycling forum right now. Someone called a few people "circle jerks". Being Swedes, they got extremely offended and upset with this sort of name calling.

Question: Is the expression "circle jerks" condescending? And does it generally refer to people in a group that agree with each other?
No one? This is a rather serious question where the majoriy of the Swedish cycling community need to know if this is a common expression and if it is meant to offend people. We are not that familiar with this expression and the discussion just caught fire again. ?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
No one? This is a rather serious question where the majoriy of the Swedish cycling community need to know if this is a common expression and if it is meant to offend people. We are not that familiar with this expression and the discussion just caught fire again. ?
In my circle of friends a “circle jerk” is a circular question that circulates around our circle.
It’s a well rounded question. ?

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent

Urban Dictionary definitions (open the link and read down at your own risk, but you probably should know ?)...

Reactions: Pan
Urban Dictionary definitions (open the link and read down at your own risk, but you probably should know ?)...

Thank you! I knew about that biscuit thing, but I wonder if this is a common expression in the English language? And if you say it meaning

"The act of constantly sharing the same opinion in a forum full of people who are obviously known to have the same opinion as yours, therefor granting you free upvotes to said opinion, while gathering downvotes to anyone that opposes you on the matter "

and not meaning the other biscuit thing?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is not an expression I have heard in the UK although a "jerk" (on its own), as a noun, is a derogatory term to describe an idiot or moron and that has US origin. As a verb in Oxford English , it describes a sudden sharp body movement ( you can no doubt guess how that might be used by some!!)
Circle Jerk therefore probably has US origin and as far as I know it has not "infected" the UK!! Given the US use of the word in other contexts I would say it is derogatory (with sexual undertones!)

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Really? Have you never heard the phrase " that's the way the cookie crumbles"?

Apparently there are left and right political parties in the us .

So, about the " infected debate" - wash your hands before and afterwards?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is not an expression I have heard in the UK although a "jerk" (on its own), as a noun, is a derogatory term to describe an idiot or moron and that has US origin. As a verb in Oxford English , it describes a sudden sharp body movement ( you can no doubt guess how that might be used by some!!)
Circle Jerk therefore probably has US origin and as far as I know it has not "infected" the UK!! Given the US use of the word in other contexts I would say it is derogatory (with sexual undertones!)
having re read my post...........can I point out that "US origin" in my first sentence, relates to the term, not the moron!! I would not want to inadvertently offend our US members!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles