STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
It's a very strange story. I don't think the display/motor can understand that a non-original App is connected to it. Put a flag in memory after such connection, also a strange practice, because the Bluetooth protocol often have errors in the data transfer. I have checked all the commands that Etube sends into STEPS system and didn't find any unknown/suspicious.

The bike may have been equipped with external units to cheat the speed (Speedbox and etc). This can be recognized by the firmware and in this case the corresponding error will appear, which was read during diagnostics.
I have asked him about external units...
If he will answer I will public his answer here...

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
He has replied to "external unit usage" question in a private message for me.
He did not put any external tuning to this ebike. His teenager son use this ebike and he dont want that his son ride faster than 25 km/h. ?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
He has replied to "external unit usage" question in a private message for me.
He did not put any external tuning to this ebike. His teenager son use this ebike and he dont want that his son ride faster than 25 km/h. ?
I regularly (one per week) get messages from customers of mine (most of E7000/E6100 weak motors), who have had their motors replaced under warranty. So this means that a dealer did not notice that the motor was even derestricted, not to mention the fact that the motor was repeatedly connected with non-original Apps to change a settings.

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
Unfortunately, my buddy told the service that he once connected with ST-Unlocker to try it out (after service man print this report about his ebike, and he asked him about this "warning")
But only with the basic version of ST-Unlocker, which cannot change the 25 km / h limit. ?

On the local ebike facebook forum, we asked the local Shimano dealer (Hungary) about the case and replied:

If I've been addressed like this, here's the other side's opinion:
1) the instructions for use of the ST Unlocker application state in capital letters under a huge STOP sign that a) the user of the application may lose the product warranty and if he is not sure what the consequences may be, do not use it, this also applies to everyone, whoever just tries it, and whoever goes with a modified firmware a year and a half ago, and b) the program can make changes to the product that are irreversible.
2) this week, CONEBI adopted a decision on "self-commitment for the prevention of tampering of e-bikes", which is supported by Shimano with full breast width, of which Frank Pfeiffer, Managing Director of Shimano Europe, informed all distributor and stressed that Shimano will do its best to educate the entire chain from the user through the store to the manufacturer about the dangers of tuning. I quote from Frank's letter: "Clear as well that generally spoken we should refuse warrantee for tuned drive-units, and that should / could be a public statement as well."

According to them, it is forbidden to connect to Shimano Steps engines with any other "third party" application if your bike under warranty.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Unfortunately, my buddy told the service that he once connected with ST-Unlocker to try it out (after service man print this report about his ebike, and he asked him about this "warning")
But only with the basic version of ST-Unlocker, which cannot change the 25 km / h limit. ?

On the local ebike facebook forum, we asked the local Shimano dealer (Hungary) about the case and replied:

If I've been addressed like this, here's the other side's opinion:
1) the instructions for use of the ST Unlocker application state in capital letters under a huge STOP sign that a) the user of the application may lose the product warranty and if he is not sure what the consequences may be, do not use it, this also applies to everyone, whoever just tries it, and whoever goes with a modified firmware a year and a half ago, and b) the program can make changes to the product that are irreversible.
2) this week, CONEBI adopted a decision on "self-commitment for the prevention of tampering of e-bikes", which is supported by Shimano with full breast width, of which Frank Pfeiffer, Managing Director of Shimano Europe, informed all distributor and stressed that Shimano will do its best to educate the entire chain from the user through the store to the manufacturer about the dangers of tuning. I quote from Frank's letter: "Clear as well that generally spoken we should refuse warrantee for tuned drive-units, and that should / could be a public statement as well."

According to them, it is forbidden to connect to Shimano Steps engines with any other "third party" application if your bike under warranty.

4.7.2 was released quite a long time ago and all this time they did not deny the warranty. Of course, they will write anything to scare customers. But this is absurd, the connection from other Apps, especially without changing any parameters is not traceable and does not violate any terms.

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
4.7.2 was released quite a long time ago and all this time they did not deny the warranty. Of course, they will write anything to scare customers. But this is absurd, the connection from other Apps, especially without changing any parameters is not traceable and does not violate any terms.

My buddy will take this faulty bike to another EU country and try to repair it under warranty there. This is a GT brand bike. I’ll write here to see if he managed (or not) to replace this faulty engine elsewhere.

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
In this case, it would be worthwhile to diagnose other E7000 / E8000 motors (with the latest FW version) with this Windows Shimano ETube project software and the SM-PCE02 cable, which motors have recently been connected to ST-Unlocker to see if they have whether this "Tuning Warning" appears in the report.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an SM-PCE02 cable like this, so I can’t try it, but it would be reassuring for someone who has such a cable to try it and post the result here.
This would reveal whose statement is true, to someone who writes here that it can be read from the engine that they have connected to the engine with a "third party" application, or that this information cannot be read.
This is not a complicated test if someone has such an SM-PCE02 cable and has the ETube project for Windows.
Of course, I don't know what version of this Windows ETube Project program was installed here in the Hungarian service ...

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I see that assist settings on this bike are not default: trail assist set to 76% (never seen that value on stock bikes). Also, active profile is "Custom" (not Dynamic, Explorer and etc). So it means, that they were probably changed using 3rd party App.

About regulation log: I think for non EP8 motors they just shows current region and circumference, because the normal regulation log should contain timestamp.

In that case, I would recommend to connect ETube App (with deactivated Internet connection) to the bike, check all settings and set them to default before sending the bike to a dealer shop.

My buddy will take this faulty bike to another EU country and try to repair it under warranty there. This is a GT brand bike. I’ll write here to see if he managed (or not) to replace this faulty engine elsewhere.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
True, but if he genuinely hasn't modified / tuned the motor then the warranty shouldn't be denied, and is poor practice from shimano. It is, in essence, fraud on their part.

Noting that there are always two sides to a story of course...

ETA: just seen the post from Valley above, which probably confirms there is more to it

hokkane4

Jan 3, 2019
Finland
My E8000 failed (E010) just recently and I got new motor under warranty from Shimano. Actually bike was already 2,5 years old, but shimano replaces motors as "good will" until 3 years, in case the failure reason is commonly known.

I used ST-Unlocker to change the region and power modes, but of course I restored default settings back before taking bike to local service center. Also I had old 4.6.1 firmware when I used ST-Unlocker.

Just one note, service center guy told me that they will flash some special diagnosis SW into the motor. Maybe that is just to try to find more fault cause information, or then it was to try to find some traces from "tuned" motor settings.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I see that assist settings on this bike are not default: trail assist set to 76% (never seen that value on stock bikes). Also, active profile is "Custom" (not Dynamic, Explorer and etc). So it means, that they were probably changed using 3rd party App.

I thought about that earlier... what if the user did not exceed OEM specs, but set it at a setting not normally available through the E-Tube app... and you just confirmed it.

Linkman

Jul 14, 2020
Hungary
Custom mode is available in etube app, there are Dymamic, Exlorer and Customize mode too. In the Customize mode you can select low, medium and high at all mode separately (eco, trail, boost). My buddy have used this function in etube and he denies setting this up with another application . But this is not E8000 engine therefore this values are strange to us.
This is the screenshot about customize funcion in etube:

7J4MA_customize_011.jpeg

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Custom mode is available in etube app, there are Dymamic, Exlorer and Customize mode too. In the Customize mode you can select low, medium and high at all mode separately (eco, trail, boost). My buddy have used this function in etube and he denies setting this up with another application . But this is not E8000 engine therefore this values are strange to us.
This is the screenshot about customize funcion in etube:

Yes, Custom Mode is part of E-Tube - but understand that even the values in Custom Mode are preset. When you select "Low" "Medium" or "High" each one has a Shimano preset assist level. You cannot actually specify the actual percentage of assist in E-Tube. That said... as vadll mentioned, if the motor log says a different percentage than what E-Tube specifies for each level, then it's obvious something else changed it.

So the more we go down this story, the more it seems that "your "buddy" isn't telling the whole story here. You said in an earlier post, "he once connected with ST-Unlocker to try it out"... all it takes it to move one slider and you change the assist level to something that is not one of the Low/Med/High presets in E-Tube, (regardless of mode).

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yes, Custom Mode is part of E-Tube - but understand that even the values in Custom Mode are preset. When you select "Low" "Medium" or "High" each one has a Shimano preset assist level. You cannot actually specify the actual percentage of assist in E-Tube. That said... as vadll mentioned, if the motor log says a different percentage than what E-Tube specifies for each level, then it's obvious something else changed it.

So the more we go down this story, the more it seems that "your "buddy" isn't telling the whole story here. You said in an earlier post, "he once connected with ST-Unlocker to try it out"... all it takes it to move one slider and you change the assist level to something that is not one of the Low/Med/High presets in E-Tube, (regardless of mode).

I can modify assist levels and max power in all modes in E-Tube on my bike with an EP8 motor.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Hi vadll

STUNLOCKER Android and Windows to change the MOTOR ANGLE and it is not allowed. So looks like I need the full license , is that right or I am missing something?.

As I am not planning to derestrict the bike, the full license is kind of overkill, so I will have to try my LBS to use Etube.

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I tried to use STUNLOCKER Android and Windows to change the MOTOR ANGLE and it is not allowed
It's not true. You definitely can change motor angle via STUnlocker for Windows without Premium licence

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
It's not true. You definitely can change motor angle via STUnlocker for Windows without Premium licence
Then I missed something. I downloaded it two days ago, and used it with SM-PCE02 and after changing the angle the UPDATE COMMAND was grey and not active and
the change was not transferred to the motor. Should I do anything special?

My motor is at 4.8

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Then I missed something. I downloaded it two days ago, and used it with SM-PCE02 and after changing the angle the UPDATE COMMAND was grey and not active and
the change was not transferred to the motor. Should I do anything special?

My motor is at 4.8
1631875711988.png

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Warning to others not to make the same mistake as myself, took my bike to bike shop because of noisy motor, turns out it is likely terminal so new motor time.

Bike is 2 years 9 months old so I didn't think it would still be covered by the warranty, but it might have been if I hadn't been using this app, nor sure if I could have done something before taking it so it didn't show up... ?

Edit: I'm not saying don't use this app, I've been using it for a while as its better than the Shimano one in my opinion, I'm just warning others to reset to standard settings before taking to a dealer, even if the motor is out of the official warranty period.

Anyway, too late now unfortunately, live and learn etc ?

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Warning to others not to make the same mistake as myself, took my bike to bike shop because of noisy motor, turns out it is likely terminal so new motor time.

Bike is 2 years 9 months old so I didn't think it would still be covered by the warranty, but it might have been if I hadn't been using this app, nor sure if I could have done something before taking it so it didn't show up... ?

Anyway, too late now unfortunately, live and learn etc ?
You could reset all the settings before visiting the service, and the service would not see anything. You would get your new motor. So it's your fault, the App has nothing to do with it.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
You could reset all the settings before visiting the service, and the service would not see anything. You would get your new motor. So it's your fault, the App has nothing to do with it.

I didn't say it was the apps fault, I said it was my mistake and was just warning others not to do the same...

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I didn't say it was the apps fault, I said it was my mistake and was just warning others not to do the same...
Ok, but in essence it looks like this: do not make my mistake - do not use this App...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles