So want faster rolling without losing too much grip.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Hey all!

First post on new sub forum!

So got my new Vitus Sentier VR bike and love it. Genually really like it. But going to use it more for XC in winter time to keep fitness up and some winter adventures. It came with 2.6 magic Mary upfront and 2.6 Nobby Nic on back. I’ve just bought a 2.6 Rocket Ron to go on back , but my question is do I keep the magic Mary upfront for super front end grip or move the Nobby Nic upfront which is less grippy than the Mary? I’ve heard mixed views on the Nobby Nic being on front but I’m not exactly an aggressive rider but neither do I want the bike slipping underneath me on every wet root.

Anyone with any experience in these tyres?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
*sigh" Bongofish. Glad you're alive ;)
But you've asked this exact question before. (More than once, Just worded differently) and I'm pretty sure I covered everything fairly comprehensively then.

REVISION!

Compound and tread both make a huge difference to rolling resistance.
Weight makes a huge difference to acceleration and handling
smaller differences in rolling come from tubeless Vs tubes and TPI count/casing construction.
Rolling resistance will always be more prevalent on a rear tyre as it both holds more weight and is the tyre driving the bike forwards.

You haven't given ANY of this information on the tyres you're asking about. (I don't want to disect your choices. I want you to start thinking for yourself and using common sense)

It's fairly easy to spot a tyre tread patern that "should" roll faster on smoother surfaces ie. lower closer together less agressive knobs and it's a no brainer that a harder durometer rubber will roll faster than a softer one

As for grip levels. (ignoring pressure) this comes down to three main atributes. Tread design and rubber compound. Again common sense. Next tyre width but depending on terrain/conditions it's not as simple as bigger is always grippier. (but I wouldn't worry too much as you seem stuck on 2.6" for some reason)

Anyway here's an example for your homework:

a 2.0" round profile hard compound slick is going to roll and turn brilliantly at your local asphalt pumptrack or your commute in the dry whereas using an aggressively spiked soft compound 2.6" tyre in the softest compound and heavy casing those same places is going to make you want to throw your bike in the nearest skip.

Little Johnny rides to School every morning on farm tracks and asphalt cycle paths but plays in the woods a little after school where there are a few little roots to contend with. Should he choose an all round mediocre tyre like a nobby nick or an ultra agressive super soft Magic Mary?

Hand it in by Friday please.

Teach x

Just be honest with what terrain you ride, how much grip you "really" need and choose something suitable.

Ps. riding roots well is 90% technique/line choice; 10% tyre choice.

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Haha ? Gary. I seem to be addicted to tyres at moment. I read a lot about the rocket rons being good or general off road and wood riding and asking as your not super aggressive with them bike parks to. But with tyres being £40+ each I try and get as much info as I can.

I went to the bike park on Saturday and didn’t really enjoy the super muddy condition. I don’t mind getting splattered with mud but when I get home and have to strip at door down to underpants and get my partner to get a carrier bag for my clothes and then move slowly to the shower is ability too much for me. Then I had to spend an hour getting mud out of all the bike. Son said to myself unless it’s dry for a few days before I’ll just go local XC whilst it’s winter.

Just with all the mixed reviews I thought I would see if anyone had first hand experience with a rocket Ron or a Nobby Nic upfront. Again Nobby Nics on front get some good and bad reviews with people saying they will slip out on anything and others sayin there the perfect all round tyre ?.

Glad to be back so you can teach me some stuff though Gary! Still think you should move next door ....I’ve got a rocket Ron that needs putting on ??.

I also remember you starting a thread about is anyone over the honeymoon period with e bikes...and at the moment I am but I’m sure once Once we get back in to spring and doing 25 miles effortlessly I’ll be straight back into it ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That list of atributes makes no sense to me.

A rocket ron was desinged as an XC racing tyre so should be firstly; light (so no bigger than 2,2); Secondly very fast rolling (so no higher than 60/70a durometer)

but #fashion

* I rode rocket rons for 18months working daily as a trail guide/leader on work bikes.
Work had a massive stash of them.
They're massively mediocre (but there's nothing I personally wouldn't happily ride on one)
Making them bigger or softer compound is just a waste of time and fleecing punters.

A Nic is a better front tyre than a ron. They're nothing to get excited about tho. Just decent all round. The folk that cry on the internet about them spitting them off their bikes are usually shit riders.
Jared Graves used NNs up front at high pressures to win many many 4X races. a discipline where cornering speed is king

If your Ron cost loads and is still brand new I'd probably take/send it back for a refund as I could probably get something just as good for £20. But then, I do know what I'm looking for rather precisely ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles