Levo SL Gen 1 SL Weight Diff Carbon/AL?

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
Has anyone done the math on this (net out all the components)? I’m planning a custom build. If the AL is within 1-1.5# I might go with it.

IMO a major problem for eMTB (especially Spesh/Brose) is heat buildup. Particularly during the Summer and in the Desert. AL frames radiate heat much better in my experience (I’ve owned several of both).

Dirt_Ebike

Dec 2, 2019
Fort Collins Colorado
Has anyone done the math on this (net out all the components)? I’m planning a custom build. If the AL is within 1-1.5# I might go with it.

IMO a major problem for eMTB (especially Spesh/Brose) is heat buildup. Particularly during the Summer and in the Desert. AL frames radiate heat much better in my experience (I’ve owned several of both).
Makes a lot of sense. Fiberglass/carbon is an insulator and aluminum is a conductor

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen

Not a problem I'll have in Scotland I'm sure

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
It’s about 3lbs actual.

Pictured alloy bike was without tubes (513g).

Pictured Carbon comp, exactly the same except frame and tubes.

Diff 1lb 13oz or 1.81lbs plus tubes at 1.13 = 2.94 lbs difference.

IMG_1344.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
It’s about 3lbs actual.

Pictured alloy bike was without tubes (513g).

Pictured Carbon comp, exactly the same except frame and tubes.

I assume the tubeless bike had sealant in it - in which case the difference between tubes and no tubes would be less than 513g.

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
Yes, Same pedals.

Ok RE sealant, yes. Estimate the sealant at between .2 and .4 lbs, then alloy frame is ~2.5lbs heavier.

I was leaning towards alloy until I did this research. Just too much weight difference.

Btw, I started with a comp Carbon, first round of mods have me at 38.2 lbs. Next round going on now, I should make 35lbs range with those mods. I’ll post up a build post when complete.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
0.2-0.4lb would only be 45-90g of sealant per tyre.
I generally use 120g per tyre with a 27.5x2.4 as any less will end up dry and useless to actually plug a puncture in a very short time. 45g of the stuff per tyre would be almost pointless.

2.5lbs (1.13kg) difference between bare Carbon and Alu frames is absolutely massive.
@73Steff kindly posted the weight of his Alu Levo SL's front triangle, chainstays and seatstays.

5edfb520-a19a-4bc7-b84b-7ab0be283c4f-jpeg.26233

For anyone struggling with basic arithmetic that'd put a carbon SL front frame triangle, chain and seat stays at just 830g (this doesn't include the linkage, bearings or hardware though)
Not impossible I suppose. But I'd be incredibly surprised if it's as light as that.
Carbon XC hardtail frames aren't as light as that.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
700-800g is the normal Levo difference (Alu to m9 Carbon/alu rear triangle) but I’d forgotten that the SL is m11 and full Carbon. Maybe the difference is 1000g after all.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
an SWorks carbon stumpy frame in M (no shock/hardware) is somewhere around 1.3-1.4kg
Despite having no BB shell I wouldn't expect the Levo SL to be any lighter. infact I'd expect it to be heavier given it has to have the motor/Battery housing/mounts and retain even more strength/durability.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles