Roof rack transportation options

Brett kirwan

Apr 15, 2019
Cf484qu
Ok there's one more piece of info you need for when the wise ones among you buy this roof carrier.

It's called the Multi Fork because it has adaptors to fit many different forks, standard QR, 15 x 100, and 20 x 110. You'll notice there is no 15 x 110 option and you're right. However, Roofbox will suggest an adaptor that is both totally shit, and costs £35. Take my advice and do it this way.

All you need is this: View attachment 6208

to turn this:

View attachment 6209

Into this:

View attachment 6210

If you need an adaptor tube like this i can sort one for about a tenner, but any local machine shop should be able to make one in about 5 minutes, it's a nice snug fit and will not come out when not in use :)
Hi mate can you sort me one of these out I've got the same problem. and what method will you need to be payed many thanks brett

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
Bumping a pretty old thread so apologies!

My car has no option for a tow bar due to the rear diffuser, and the roof racks are out of the question due a glass roof.

The only option i can really see is using a Sea Sucker Bomber. Its a 3 bike carrier, but i would be using it for two EMTBs at circa 23kg each.

Has any one got any experience using the Bomber? i know there's a Mini Bomber too, which is a two bike carrier, but i think for EMTBs it would only carry one, instead of two, due to the weight.

any other options out there or something similar to SeaSucker? they seem fantastic but are not cheap.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Bumping a pretty old thread so apologies!

My car has no option for a tow bar due to the rear diffuser, and the roof racks are out of the question due a glass roof.

The only option i can really see is using a Sea Sucker Bomber. Its a 3 bike carrier, but i would be using it for two EMTBs at circa 23kg each.

Has any one got any experience using the Bomber? i know there's a Mini Bomber too, which is a two bike carrier, but i think for EMTBs it would only carry one, instead of two, due to the weight.

any other options out there or something similar to SeaSucker? they seem fantastic but are not cheap.

If you tell us what car it is you might find other owners who have solved the problem

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its a W213 Mercedes-AMG E63s Saloon. (Or Sedan, if you're not from the UK!)
Do Mercedes not make a rack for that? I have the W213 waggon with panoramic roof and have fitted bars to it before, though it does have the rails - does the E63 have the fixpoint flaps either side of the pano roof?

Irfan1712

Apr 15, 2020
RCT, South Wales
Do Mercedes not make a rack for that? I have the W213 waggon with panoramic roof and have fitted bars to it before, though it does have the rails - does the E63 have the fixpoint flaps either side of the pano roof?

It looks like it does have fix points, but looking at the cost of rails, and then a rack of some form it quickly added up.

So my resolution turned up today, and fitted it up just for a trial fit (pardon my garage int he background, my garden is having some work done so its a total mess!)

l8duJGg.jpg

zZ2I4RY.jpg

i can't use it yet as they have sent me thru axles instead with no adapter to use for the boost axle on the bike. But fitting was a breeze. Huge advantage over this system is how quick it is to get it on and the bike attached, and the fact it can be stored in the boot (trunk) when not in use.

Obvious drawback is the fact that the bike or rack are not invinible to thieves if left on the car. But honestly, as long as the car is kept in sight (i.e at a service station etc) i can't see anyone attempting to take the bike - An EMTB takes a reasonable strong person to lift it from a car roof, and the sucker mounts are so strong their pretty difficult to remove.

Will comment back once i've taken it for a drive but first impressions seem great.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Now that is quite the combo! Dont think I have ever seen a 63 in that colour, looks great. If you tell me the old Hi Lux is yours too I am going to be very jealous !

GeekEcosse

Oct 24, 2018
Edinburgh
So I have Thule 591s on the car. Weight limit for them is 20kg, Thule roof bars can take a lot more. Thankfully the clamp and tyre ratchets can fit on my bike, however.

I have a Jam Focus 9.7 Plus which is 21.9kg, probably a wee bit more as mine is an XL. .43kg for pedals (DMR V12s) and call it 1kg per tyre for 27.5 * 2.8s.

That is knocking on 25kg.

I appreciate there will be tolerances in the Thule 591s but on reflection asking it to take a further 25% is probably to much.

What are the options?

Thule 599 Upride - 20kg limit

INNO Multi Fork Lock bike carrier, no. INA392 - 23 kg limit and requires front wheel off which will get me down to the weight limit but then means I have to find space in a car for a muddy tyre, I want it all up there.

Only thing I can find is tow hook bike carriers which will be a very expensive option for me, ~£400 for the carrier and £500-1k for the tow bar install.

Anyone found a higher rated roof option that is not wheel off?

S

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have to say the Yakima is rock solid, I forgot the keys to my battery recently so had to transport the bike about 30 miles in the rain/wind with battery on, and no issues - its far more solid than the Thule options in terms of when you rock the bike in the rack etc to see if it "feels" solid

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I have the Yakima whispbars and use them with Thule 598s. Clamps the down tube OK on my E-Sommet although sits a bit close to the terminals. Not had any problems but don't feel all that solid and are a pain in the arse to slide in from the sides. The Yakima rack does look better, believe they drop in from the top? Think my XL bike is too long for them though, what size is yours @R120 ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the Yakima whispbars and use them with Thule 598s. Clamps the down tube OK on my E-Sommet although sits a bit close to the terminals. Not had any problems but don't feel all that solid and are a pain in the arse to slide in from the sides. The Yakima rack does look better, believe they drop in from the top? Think my XL bike is too long for them though, what size is yours @R120 ?
Mine a large, the back strap mount is laid all the way back, but I reckon an xl would fit - if you give me a measurement I can work with I can check for you?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
What I like about it is the "base" at the front that connects to the bars is nice and wide as has the two ratchet straps - this gives it IMO a far more solid connection with more lateral support to the roof bars, so even though it is only rated to 20kg, I dont feel like I am taking a risk - plus it clamps the front wheel super solid.

My mere has appealing suspension, driving it into any trail centre car park, speed bump, crapy road is praying the front bumper doesn't get ripped off and the car get beached, so I am super paranoid about the bike getting really rocked about on top as it doesn't get a smooth ride.

The rack is also unnoticeable noise wise when not in use, at least on my car.

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 20.41.34.png

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Results of a blind trial of various roof rack mounting options....lets call it shed vs stupidity @3 am....

summary :

rigid front axle mounting might protect the bike...but the forces involved will cause permanent damage to the roof of a vehicle commonly known as insurance write off. ( we have a lot of accessories invested in that car so just live with the dents ) . The emtb with axle mounted rack looked like it could could do another round....

Frame clamps act as levers, if enough force is applied they destroy both the bike rack, roof rails, and do nasty things over a wide area of vehicle roof . They also leave ugly scratches on the frames as they let go.

Now...imagine that with a glass roof
473433E7-3C1D-4E5D-A6F0-2FEB14924DF2.jpeg
4DCE5453-14BF-4104-AAFD-B878C03479F1.jpeg

TrailBoB

Apr 27, 2020
Scotland
Results of a blind trial of various roof rack mounting options....lets call it shed vs stupidity @3 am....

summary :

rigid front axle mounting might protect the bike...but the forces involved will cause permanent damage to the roof of a vehicle commonly known as insurance write off. ( we have a lot of accessories invested in that car so just live with the dents ) . The emtb with axle mounted rack looked like it could could do another round....

Frame clamps act as levers, if enough force is applied they destroy both the bike rack, roof rails, and do nasty things over a wide area of vehicle roof . They also leave ugly scratches on the frames as they let go.

Now...imagine that with a glass roof View attachment 43215 View attachment 43217
£1500. 1 previous owner goes by the name of ?Pat. Get all your gear in the back & doesn’t matter if you get in to drive home, whilst still black bright from the trails. ??

85C1F9B2-1217-44CD-B705-5FB2BFA93E3F.jpeg

5D7FD2F1-8307-4BD1-9432-FB201559C710.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

summary :

Now...imagine that with a glass roof View attachment 43215 View attachment 43217
Overloaded?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles