Power issue on vitus e Sommet - shimano e7000

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
Hey vitus owners.

The other day about 5 mins into my ride I got a loud beep with an e020 error (connection issue between battery and motor). Tired resetting by removing battery and turning off and in again which then seemed to work. Appeared to power on okay but once I started pedalling there was no power assist even though the display was on and said I was in eco, trail or boost. After a while the bike would not even turn on. When I attempted to switch it on the screen would light up for about 5 seconds saying ‘shimano steps’ (start up screen) but then turn off again and the 5 green lights on the battery would not come on (which they are supposed to do).

Battery is fully charged and appears to be charging fine too.

I then decided to take a look at the connections to motor and battery and all seemed fine. Cleaned up battery terminals/connector blades but now it’s 50/50 that it turns on or not and when it does come on it randomly cuts out. No longer getting the e020 errors just completely dies.... making me think battery is faulty but I have no rap was to test that theory.

Anyone experienced similar? I’ve emailed CRC and am waiting their response but I’m guessing warranty repair job. Bike is 3 months old and only done 280km.

Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers,
Fraz

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Check the battery mount. Sometimes they can be a bit loose. You can adjust the mount yourself to make the battery more snug in the mount.

Otherwise, like you said, a battery maybe?

Gordon

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
Was going to suggest flashing to the latest software version if your not on that already but with power issues and it turning off randomly then that's highly risky and you could brick it.

Not sure if you've checked the power cable under the motor cover is on properly?

20190205_185749.jpg

N1ck

Dec 10, 2018
UK
H

When I attempted to switch it on the screen would light up for about 5 seconds saying ‘shimano steps’ (start up screen) but then turn off again and the 5 green lights on the battery would not come on (which they are supposed to do).

Thought I'd let you know I had a very similar issue today. I was at Aston Bike Park today heading own Ricochet when my bike beeper and error flashed up. Didn't look long to see if there were any error code else I'd have stacked it! Anyway, got to the bottom and went to turn it back on, and it did exactly as you described above.

Turned out to be the display screen wire. i dropped the motor, removed the speed sensor and display screen wire one at a time and tried turning it on. No change with either. Then i left the display screen wire disconnected and tried turning it on. All the battery lights came on! Plugged the screen wire and voila, it's working again.

Almost as if it performed a hard reset?

I'll be heading back up to Aston Hill on Sunday hopefully to see if it holds up...

Did you get yours fixed?

Enda

Feb 4, 2022
Kitesurf009
Hey vitus owners.

The other day about 5 mins into my ride I got a loud beep with an e020 error (connection issue between battery and motor). Tired resetting by removing battery and turning off and in again which then seemed to work. Appeared to power on okay but once I started pedalling there was no power assist even though the display was on and said I was in eco, trail or boost. After a while the bike would not even turn on. When I attempted to switch it on the screen would light up for about 5 seconds saying ‘shimano steps’ (start up screen) but then turn off again and the 5 green lights on the battery would not come on (which they are supposed to do).

Battery is fully charged and appears to be charging fine too.

I then decided to take a look at the connections to motor and battery and all seemed fine. Cleaned up battery terminals/connector blades but now it’s 50/50 that it turns on or not and when it does come on it randomly cuts out. No longer getting the e020 errors just completely dies.... making me think battery is faulty but I have no rap was to test that theory.

Anyone experienced similar? I’ve emailed CRC and am waiting their response but I’m guessing warranty repair job. Bike is 3 months old and only done 280km.

Any thoughts appreciated
Cheers,
Fraz
I have the exact same problem now. How did you get on? What was the fix? Any help much appreciated.

emtb-derp

Feb 13, 2022
EU
I've had some relevant issues with my 2021 vitus esommet vr, my engine cover was full of muck which resulted in my engine being flooded with boggy water that corroded the power connections.

1644767604915.png

lol @ the wee green/yellow wire

1644767549070.png

Worth checking if there's blockages or muck way in your engine.
1644768086681.png

Also if you spotted it above, there was a bolt in my engine cover among the muck, which turned out to be from the top battery mount (lol).
1644767902673.png

I'd noticed prior to finding this bolt that the top mount was swivelling up to 45' in the downtube, now I've cleaned up the connectors with contact cleaner & fixed the top mount its not thrown another e010/e020 error.

I do however after a ride find that the battery has self-ejected when I take the cover off, not requiring the hex key for removal, so maybe I need to further tweak the top mount..

emtb-derp

Feb 13, 2022
EU
Bit of an update - this e010 error code now happens every other ride cause my engine floods so much.

I set the top battery mount to the lowest possible point, so the error wasn't caused by the battery, but rather the engine for sure.

When I take the large power cable off it makes a loud wet suction noise, lol.

Careful unscrewing the screws attached to metal plates, they're really cheap and one chewed entirely 💀

Going to use the front mudguard on the rear (suggested in another thread) to avoid the drivetrain and engine getting covered in muck, will use water avoiding spray & maybe dialectric grease or something to make the engine cables more water proof.

I might follow your lead with the front mud flap. Might try to seal up the outside of the engine with black tack putty so it doesn't immediately rush into the engine components.

I was thinking of a mod - the last 2 times I've ran into the error my bike was at a 45'+ incline, so the water wouldn't be able to reach the bottom engine drainage holes, maybe a few small holes in the rear of the removable bottom cover would fix this? 🤔

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles