Overvolt 727i - snake battery :-(

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Hi folks,

I am new to the Emtb scene, just recently (4 weeks ago) took the plunge and bought the overvolt 727i brand new.. oh boy great bike but shocking battery life - currently experiencing a range of 12 miles before the battery is fully depleted.. Info on ride and stats below, anyone else had similar issues. I have ridden approx 200 miles in 4 weeks on the bike

• Total miles cycled – 12.4
  • Total accent – 1600 ft
  • Tyre pressure – 18 psi front 20psi rear (tyres are maxxis DHF and DHRII)
  • Temp – 9 deg C
  • Tracks cycled – fire track
  • Weight – 88kgs
  • Cadence between 75-85
  • Modes cycled – 60% eco, 25% trail, 15% boost

I have ridden approx 200 miles in 4 weeks on the bike , but seem to see the same results every time. Battery is left in situ for charging.

I have just received a new battery uner warranty and will check out the range at the weekend but so far not impressed with range but great bike.

Thoughts appreciated ....

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Welcome! 12 miles range is a bit of a shocker though, even with a reasonable ascent ... :(

Think I just saw your post in another thread of someone else with a similar problem. I'd recommend trying a battery charge out of the bike and see if that makes a difference. Seems to be that if you leave it charging too long past full charge on the bike with the Overvolts then the battery starts discharging again, giving you less range. Currently, I'm getting about 50km of mixed terrain (50/50 road/trails), mixed modes and 1000m ascent from a snake battery. (I'm 78kg, using clipless & similar tyres at 25psi).

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
I rode the same bike this weekend.
Lapierre overvolt 727i first impression. - EMTB Forums
I rode for 20 miles on rocky trails and used one bar, eco and trail mode, mostly eco. I did not check the percentage.

I am 93 kgs and not overly fit, but also not the opposite.

Sounds like something is definately wrong.[/QUOT

thanks for the info, got a new battery at the weekend and still the same - 12 miles before dead.. Hopefully it is an easy fix - ohterwise it will be goign back -

Romekz

Jan 7, 2019
Sittingbourne
How's the battery issue going? I've just pulled the trigger on purchasing a 727i and selfishly hoping this is not a common fault. Does the range improve if the battery is charged externally?

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Well then, the bike has been back at raleigh where they changed the main power button, they kept the bike for 2 days and stated that they couldnt find anything wrong with the motor/battery.

I ahve ahd the bike back for jsut over a week and the battey duration is still aroudn the 15 mile mark - I am not too sure what else to do... thoughts.

I use the bike as it is intended - I cycle off road (not trial centers) the terrain is as you woudl expect hilly, muddy and rough. I live in the middle of Scotland and have mountains wihtin a mile of my house - perhaps the bike and battery duration is best suited to hardpacked trail centers.

I am still in 2 minds whetehr to send it back or not - but as with all these things if it goes back then i need to buy another one and it could just be throwing good money after bad

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Well then, the bike has been back at raleigh where they changed the main power button, they kept the bike for 2 days and stated that they couldnt find anything wrong with the motor/battery.

I ahve ahd the bike back for jsut over a week and the battey duration is still aroudn the 15 mile mark - I am not too sure what else to do... thoughts.

I use the bike as it is intended - I cycle off road (not trial centers) the terrain is as you woudl expect hilly, muddy and rough. I live in the middle of Scotland and have mountains wihtin a mile of my house - perhaps the bike and battery duration is best suited to hardpacked trail centers.

I am still in 2 minds whetehr to send it back or not - but as with all these things if it goes back then i need to buy another one and it could just be throwing good money after bad
Don’t know much about your bike, but I can do the same distance and elevation on my Levo in Turbo 100% and have 20% battery left out of 460wh. And i’m 120kg spinning 2.8’s

I say you got a lemon, and something is wrong.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I ride my Focus on similar terrain to you although probably not as hilly, I usually get between 20 and 25 miles out the integrated 378wh battery.

I rode 38 miles on Saturday with 3200 feet of ascent and used roughly the equivalent of 550wh I reckon. I can't believe there isn't an issue with your bike or battery.

That's using about 60% Eco, 30 % Trail and 10% Boost. I'm 90kg in cycling gear.

Last edited:

Romekz

Jan 7, 2019
Sittingbourne
Sorry to hear that. Wondering now if buying the lapierre was a good choice for me also. Haven't picked it up yet. They're seems to be a number of posts on this forum regarding battery and range issues for this brand. Does it make any difference to range charging the battery out of the frame?

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
It would be really interesting to find out what some different bikes are like over the same terrain you are riding - what sort of range they give there. Like a different brand with a Shimano motor, and a different brand with a different motor (Brose/Bosch etc). Maybe some local shops would let you try a demo?

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
See below for my route - summary is 950ft of accent, 6.5 miles in length which is cycled in the Eco mode for 4.8 miles(eco mode on the road) – trail mode for 1.2 miles (trail mode is uphill on single track) and boost for 0.5 miles (boost mode is across a field). Bars on battery used 3 :-(.... not too good

1553609656278.jpg

For the record I am 88kg and cycle with a cadence of 80-90.

Alan51

Mar 25, 2019
Tiverton, Devon
See below for my route - summary is 950ft of accent, 6.5 miles in length which is cycled in the Eco mode for 4.8 miles(eco mode on the road) – trail mode for 1.2 miles (trail mode is uphill on single track) and boost for 0.5 miles (boost mode is across a field). Bars on battery used 3 :-(.... not too good

View attachment 12276
For the record I am 88kg and cycle with a cadence of 80-90.
Hi I've just bought a lapierre overvolt am 527i and had my first ride last week I covered 20 miles all in trail mode and had 11 miles left in range according to the display. I'm 115kg and covered 1600ft climbing. If that any help, you need to take yours back to the dealer.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
thanks fro the info - hi ho hi ho its back the shop I go

Mine went back to Raleigh for 2 months and came back with a new frame (old one had a crack in it) and still with the same fault (as mentioned in other post) ????
Still in limbo between my local bike shop, Raleigh and lapierre.... Fookin tamping

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Mine went back to Raleigh for 2 months and came back with a new frame (old one had a crack in it) and still with the same fault (as mentioned in other post) ????
Still in limbo between my local bike shop, Raleigh and lapierre.... Fookin tamping
Mine goes back tomorrow for 2 weeks - second time back - fingers crossed they fix it.

BTW where did the frame crack?

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Mine goes back tomorrow for 2 weeks - second time back - fingers crossed they fix it.

BTW where did the frame crack?

They didn't show me pics but said it was around the linkage somewhere ?.. upgrade me to a team frame (with all my old components) and funnily enough it had the same fault as it went back for ? I think they thought it would magic away if they gave me a new frame ???

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Also list of bits they have changed/tried
New battery
New battery charger
New power button
New wiring harness
New battery connection tray/plate...
HI Gareth, I will ping you an email once they confirm what they are doing to it, to date I have tried 3 batteries, new power button - I really do like the bike but at 12 miles range it is just rubbish.. How old is yours?
cheers
Murray

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
HI Gareth, I will ping you an email once they confirm what they are doing to it, to date I have tried 3 batteries, new power button - I really do like the bike but at 12 miles range it is just rubbish.. How old is yours?
cheers
Murray

Had it for 8 months but was back in Raleigh for 2 of them and all other parts have been sent to me/dealer to try ..

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

It's a bit ridiculous that they can't even test whether they've fixed the problem before they send it back to you ...

My suspicion is that the charging problem is inherent in the way they have built the battery and it's something that they know they can't actually fix. I expect the problem is there for everyone's battery but most people don't notice. If they wanted to fix it they'd probably have to recall all the batteries (which they obviously wouldn't want to do). They're probably hoping you will eventually just give up trying to fix it ...

You could try a workaround by having a timer on the plug socket that your charger uses, and have it turn off after say 4 hours. Although it might still start discharging the battery even then. (You could test before trying a timer just by turning off the power at the socket by hand after 4 hours and leaving the charger still connected to the bike overnight). Hmm I'm even wondering what happens if you just leave a full battery in the bike overnight without any charger connected at all. Or charger connected to bike, but not to wall socket. Too many combinations!

(Should really have posted this in your thread on this but :oops: lapierre overvolt ami627 charging problems - EMTB Forums)

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
No new motor?? I am going to push them to change out my motor, I think this is where the issue lies
cheers
Murray
Hi Gareth, quick update, bike we t back to Raleigh on Friday, battery is the least of my issues, cracked the frame almost in half on the seat stay. Requesting a full new bike or refund. Watch this space ...

IMG_20190405_120400.jpg

IMG_20190405_120429.jpg

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Hi Gareth, quick update, bike we t back to Raleigh on Friday, battery is the least of my issues, cracked the frame almost in half on the seat stay. Requesting a full new bike or refund. Watch this space ...

View attachment 12822

View attachment 12823

?? Think that's where mine went .... Update on my new one... They are sending me a different charger AGAIN as they say the original goes into partial discharge when 100% (only when in the frame as it's earthed) ??? I can't see it but Let's see if that's the answer???

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
Folks,

Update on the charging issues - before i proceed I shoudl also state that the bike snapped in half below the seatpost. as a direct result i requested a brand new bike from raleigh/LP, there were no quibbles from there side and because of all the hassle over the past months they upgraded the bike from a 727i to the 927i FOC. Excellent custmer service.
Anyhow I have had the bike for over 2 weeks now and continue to do the same loop as before - 6.5 miles with 950 ft of accent - time onthe bike aroudn about 55 minutes. Great news is that I can do 4 loops of the circuit on one charge of the battery giving a total distance of 26 miles (40km) with 3800 ft of accent - all modes were used on the bike..... profiel for one circuit is below.
View attachment 13327
Things to note from the old bike/battery/motor combination.
  • Firstly when the motor is turned off on the new bike you CAN still cycle it with relative ease, on the old bike when you turned the motor off it was like cycling through treacle and near on impossible.
  • Secondly when you go beyond the 15mph restriction on the new bike you can still accelerate and get a good speed up, with the old bike when you hit the 15mph restriction it was as if the brakes had been put on and it was very difficult to accelerate.
I have spoken with Raleigh and they did say that Lapierre did flash some different programming software that was for use with the snake batteries.

All in all the situation is resolved and I am now a happy ebiker... :)

cheers

Rich_F21316

Oct 6, 2018
DORSET, United Kingdom

View attachment 12822

View attachment 12823
this is where mine has just cracked. after 8 months too! it sounds like they are going to replace the frame. but I'm seriously worried the second one isn't going to last either. it's not like I've done anything different from my other bikes. by previous specialized pitch is still going after 8 years and the bike before I had for a similar time!

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2019
Tillicoultry
this is where mine has just cracked. after 8 months too! it sounds like they are going to replace the frame. but I'm seriously worried the second one isn't going to last either. it's not like I've done anything different from my other bikes. by previous specialized pitch is still going after 8 years and the bike before I had for a similar time!
Hi Rich, funny that you have just posted, I have just sent back my second bike for the frame cracking, sand place and it's happened within 2 months. Raleigh have spoke with LP who have stated that it was a bad batch of frames and agree giving me another new bike, the did offer me the xduro nduro 6.0 2019 bike as a replacement but the spec on the 927i was much better so have opted for the 927i again. If the 3rd frame cracks then there is definitely a design fault and I will be requesting a full product recall as there is definitely something wrong. For what it's worth I am glad I am not the only one.

gfunkmc

Jan 9, 2019
wales
Hi Rich, funny that you have just posted, I have just sent back my second bike for the frame cracking, sand place and it's happened within 2 months. Raleigh have spoke with LP who have stated that it was a bad batch of frames and agree giving me another new bike, the did offer me the xduro nduro 6.0 2019 bike as a replacement but the spec on the 927i was much better so have opted for the 927i again. If the 3rd frame cracks then there is definitely a design fault and I will be requesting a full product recall as there is definitely something wrong. For what it's worth I am glad I am not the only one.

Yep IV just had a full refund from Raleigh for my second one ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles