Official Canyon EMTB Thread

dwr budr

May 29, 2018
UK
I have replaced them myself a few hours ago. I noticed it but I thought it was a loose headset or loose spokes. I never assumed it would be the pivot bushings. If you stand your bike on the back wheel and lift the handle bars you would feel the play straight away. I took some photographs of the replacing. I will post them in the forum

i thought my headset was coming loose last ride out i had, wonder if the same has happened to me? did it make a particular sound ?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
i thought my headset was coming loose last ride out i had, wonder if the same has happened to me? did it make a particular sound ?
Not really but if you try to pick the bike up slowly by the seat you will find the wheel stays on the floor. You can feel 5-10mm of play when you pick it up before the wheel lifts from the floor

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
I have replaced them myself a few hours ago. I noticed it but I thought it was a loose headset or loose spokes. I never assumed it would be the pivot bushings. If you stand your bike on the back wheel and lift the handle bars you would feel the play straight away. I took some photographs of the replacing. I will post them in the forum
as promised ? and bonus new brake pictures
MVIMG_20190521_150833.jpg

MVIMG_20190521_150819.jpg

MVIMG_20190524_133823.jpg
mvimg_20190524_133913-jpg.14127
MVIMG_20190524_133944.jpg
MVIMG_20190524_134255.jpg
MVIMG_20190524_134315.jpg
MVIMG_20190524_134900.jpg

MVIMG_20190524_133913.jpg

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Nice bike how you finding the hopes
first real ride on them tomorrow, I've only bedded them in the local park. The initial feel and adjustments are much better than my Code R's but we will see on real trails.

P.S they were very expensive so I'm factoring that in :ROFLMAO:

Shog46

Nov 4, 2018
Yorkshire
first real ride on them tomorrow, I've only bedded them in the local park. The initial feel and adjustments are much better than my Code R's but we will see on real trails.

P.S they were very expensive so I'm factoring that in :ROFLMAO:

Been looking at them for my spectral on so be interested to know your thoughts, have a good ride ?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Been looking at them for my spectral on so be interested to know your thoughts, have a good ride ?
Hopes were top notch ?. We had a good mix of brakes today code RSC, saints and my hopes. Everyone preferred my hopes.

Yet to fully put them through their paces but on general enduro style trails they were brilliant

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
This is what eMTB's are all about for me. I had done the black trail at Llandegla once on my old bike and I pushed it up probably 70% of the climbs. Since the having ebikes we have done it a few times and yesterday I managed to convince my younger brother who has never really been mountain biking before to come with me on my Fiance's ebike. He loved it and is looking at saving up for one.

Top day all around (y)

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Hi,
Has anyone got a detailed spec sheet for Spectral ON? I’m after things like

Headset details
Shock mount hardware sizes
Seat post maximum insertion
Etc

Canyon’s Website seems a bit sh1t for this sort of thing.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Hi,

Headset details
Etc

Doesn’t look like even Canyon know. I contacted them today and asked shock mount sizes and got a reply saying, “sorry, we don’t know”

There goes my trust in any after sales support if they can’t even answer a simple question like that.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Doesn’t look like even Canyon know. I contacted them today and asked shock mount sizes and got a reply saying, “sorry, we don’t know”

There goes my trust in any after sales support if they can’t even answer a simple question like that.
Yeah, please don't get me started on Canyon customer service.

The bike is great Canyon are terrible. Every time I speak to someone on their UK office it's like talking to a brick wall, they don't listen to what you are asking or telling them and just spout the same old vague customer service responses.

Jonnymac

Feb 21, 2019
Inverclyde
Hi,

Headset details
Etc

Attachments

• M064-01_M093-01_BOM_Spectral ON_Neuron ON.pdf
    395.3 KB · Views: 666

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
If you have a problem with the motor or battery, can you just go to a shimano service center in UK rather than deal with Canyon (un)customer support?

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
If you have a problem with the motor or battery, can you just go to a shimano service center in UK rather than deal with Canyon (un)customer support?
Yes, I believe so.

I have only sent back my dropper post as it slipped off the shim stack and scratched the stanchion. That took around two weeks. I replaced the bearings in my rear suspension pivot myself after speaking to Canyon because they were wasting my time and asking for pictures etc "so they could look into it" in the end I asked how much the bearings were to buy, gave them the part number which he still didn't know and had to go find a manager and get back to me. Eventually come back at £2.99 or something. I said I would pay then they invoiced me for like £12.99 with shipping ?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Thank Clansey.
I’m toying with getting one as the geo (apart from head angel which is easily sorted with a works components headset) looks perfect for me. I want a poppy fun ebike rather than ah DH sled with long chainstays that will be a barge through the tight switchbacks.
90% of my riding is steep tight technical forest trails. Something with 445+ chainstays is just awkward

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Thank Clansey.
I’m toying with getting one as the geo (apart from head angel which is easily sorted with a works components headset) looks perfect for me. I want a poppy fun ebike rather than ah DH sled with long chainstays that will be a barge through the tight switchbacks.
90% of my riding is steep tight technical forest trails. Something with 445+ chainstays is just awkward
Have you checked out the Merida e160? We have done a few demo days and it's by far the best ebike I have rode. Similar to my Canyon but even more fun and poppy. It's probably one of the only ebikes I would swap with my Canyon with the added benefit of local bike shop warranty support etc

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Yea thanks, chainstays are a little long for me. Im deciding between rocky mountain altitide or spectral on. Love the RM altitiude but I’m between an L and an XL and the spectral seems to be a bit bigger than the RMs...

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Yea thanks, chainstays are a little long for me. Im deciding between rocky mountain altitide or spectral on. Love the RM altitiude but I’m between an L and an XL and the spectral seems to be a bit bigger than the RMs...
If you have a chance to demo. I would my opinion has changed massively despite similar looking geometry.

I know Leisure lakes bikes in the Northwest will let you demo most bikes for a weekend for around £80 which sounds like a lot but could really help get a big decision right

Rpa484

Feb 4, 2019
Poland
Hi guys.
Did anybody of You try to put Fox X2 to Spectral:ON.
Is it fit? Or mayby air can is too "fat" and hit frame?
I want to buy and a little worry about that.
Thanks for answer.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Hi guys.
Thanks for answer.
I believe it's been done on another thread. The thread about DH X2, if I remember correctly he had an X2 on before the coil

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Me and the fiance done a bit of test ride for our upcoming Scotland trip up to Whinlatter in the Lake District.

I also repaired a crash damaged drone and decided to take that up to test it. It was good fun and there will likely be more drone footage of my rides in the future. I just need to teach Amy to fly it :ROFLMAO:

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
So Finally finally finally after months of deliberating and demoing ebikes I sold my Kenevo and bought a Canyon Spectral On 6. Got a brand new one with 12 road miles on it for £2500 (the one which was on ebay). Well chuffed.

Kenevo was too plough and not poppy enough, long chainstays made it quite cumbersome. Also my Large was a bit small, but XL was massive.
After ruling out the Norco VLT (felt a little small) and Decoy (just didnt gel with it and its only got 6 month warranty of battery) and wanting the Rocky Mountain Altitude Power play carbon but being stuck between sizes, I took a risk with the Canyon.

Well the risk paid off - its like a size large was made for me at 186cm.

Its going to get customised somewhat...

-2 Angleset to get it to 65 degree head angle
2020 Fox Factory 36 170mm Fork, 44mm offset
E13 27.5 Carbon wheels front and rear
27.5x2.6 tyres
GX Eagle cassette (only so I don’t have to change Xd driver)
180mm One up dropper

Bumping the forks up 20mm will equal out the 20mm lowering of the front wheel to go from 29 to 27.5.

Will assess the saddle, stem and brakes once ridden...

... which will be a few months and Ive just broken my wrist! Arrrrgggggjhhhhh

Last edited:

Jonnymac

Feb 21, 2019
Inverclyde
Hi guys.
Thanks for answer.
Hi guys.
Thanks for answer.
I tried it and at first thought it was fine bust after a days riding noting rubbing between air can and underside of frame on one side. On Canyon frame the rear shock doesn’t always sit squarely as it attaches to suspension rocker via a floating connection at the plastic IGUS bushes. If Canyon had designed the frame with better bearing I.e not shitty plastic ones then the shock would have been fine albeit with low clearance gap.
I reverted to using DPX2 which has been excellent although not as good as the X2 that I had one for one day

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
I just got back from Scotland where we rode Fort William, Glenlivet and Glentress. Some cracking trails up there, definitely need to go back soon. Unfortunately Glentress was pouring with rain so I only got a very limited look at what they have to offer. Here is the video from Fort William

jpaulo.emtb

Sep 12, 2018
Portugal
I want to change my tranmission group set from sram eagle to shimano SLX 1x11-speed Upgrade-Kit with 11-46 I-Spec-B. What adaptar i have to buy to join the shimano shifter to the sram matchmaker?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles