Norco Sight VLT

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I have the VLT 2, I love it. It's been rock solid except the shimano motor has a few quirks. I'm a fat c... 113kg so I'm virtually on the limit of the bike but haven't had any issues although I'm not into huge jumps. Mainly just blue, green single track and some commuting.

On eco if I was 10kg lighter it'd get 100ks easy on one battery. Even with a big mix of trail and boost 60-70ks no worries. For my riding it always reports around 80-90ks per charge. Most I've done is about 70 with one bar left.

Only downside is battery is non removable if that's an issue. Not for me as I live in the sub tropics so none of that bs taking the battery inside or wrapping it in a blanket like the poor bastards in the UK.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I have the VLT 2, I love it. It's been rock solid except the shimano motor has a few quirks. I'm a fat c... 113kg so I'm virtually on the limit of the bike but haven't had any issues although I'm not into huge jumps. Mainly just blue, green single track and some commuting.

On eco if I was 10kg lighter it'd get 100ks easy on one battery. Even with a big mix of trail and boost 60-70ks no worries. For my riding it always reports around 80-90ks per charge. Most I've done is about 70 with one bar left.

Only downside is battery is non removable if that's an issue. Not for me as I live in the sub tropics so none of that bs taking the battery inside or wrapping it in a blanket like the poor bastards in the UK.
Wow, that distance is amazing. How much climbing with 70km?

Im in UK, but my bike lives in my house so no namby pamby cuddling the battery here ?

Would love a test ride but one chain of shops have a monopoly on Norco in the UK and they don’t have any demo bikes ?‍♂️

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I tried to buy one but Evans were so useless I failed. If they re that bad at sales what will they be like if you need service?

Yea that would worry me. Evans are always 5 minutes away from insolvancy. Then your left dealing with Shimano and Norco in Canada...

Going to go sit on one, have a look, but I can’t see how anyone buys them in the uk when they are about the only bike you can’t demo.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I was in Evans in Gatwick, which is there warehouse store, and asked why they didn't have any on display (they have a load of Treks, Focus's, Cubes and Mondrakers on the floor, all of which you can demo) and the manager told me that head office decided what was on show, and that it baffled him as he thought the Norco was far and away the best EMTB they sell, they have a load in the warehouse, yet none on display or built up to demo - if I was Norco I would seriously be reconsidering who my UK retailer is.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
I was in Evans in Gatwick, which is there warehouse store, and asked why they didn't have any on display (they have a load of Treks, Focus's, Cubes and Mondrakers on the floor, all of which you can demo) and the manager told me that head office decided what was on show, and that it baffled him as he thought the Norco was far and away the best EMTB they sell, they have a load in the warehouse, yet none on display or built up to demo - if I was Norco I would seriously be reconsidering who my UK retailer is.

My local evans is going to get one into the store for me to look at, they will let me test it in their car park, but its the only emtb they won’t let me take away for their ‘48hr test ride policy’.

Selling my Kenevo (as want a enduro/all mountain bike rather than a DH sled) and tried

Levo
Pivot Shuttle
Vitus E-Sommet
YT Decoy
RM Altitude Powerplay

The altitude is my favourite but the sight VLT ticks all the boxes on paper. But I won’t find out how it compares unless I commit £6k!!! Madness.

Evans would sell a lot more if they just had a large and medium demo bike which they shipped to a store request. They could sell them at cost at end of season anyway. Clueless.

Phantomtracer

Sep 24, 2018
Pennsylvania
My local evans is going to get one into the store for me to look at, they will let me test it in their car park, but its the only emtb they won’t let me take away for their ‘48hr test ride policy’.

Selling my Kenevo (as want a enduro/all mountain bike rather than a DH sled) and tried

Levo
Pivot Shuttle
Vitus E-Sommet
YT Decoy
RM Altitude Powerplay

The altitude is my favourite but the sight VLT ticks all the boxes on paper. But I won’t find out how it compares unless I commit £6k!!! Madness.

Evans would sell a lot more if they just had a large and medium demo bike which they shipped to a store request. They could sell them at cost at end of season anyway. Clueless.

I have the RM, been riding it for 2 months now. Absolutely love it! If you are into a trail bike style ride you won’t be disappointed.

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
I have a VLT 2, unfortunately I have a broken wrist courtesy of a crash so haven't had a chance to ride as much as I would like but much closer to a regular bike feel than the other emtb I demoed (Giant Trance) and I ride a Trance non electric bike. Hard to demo here in Australia too but reasonable variety of dealers. In relative terms cheaper here than most of the world I think, VLT 2 can be had for 3,800 GBP or 4,300 Euros. ($7,000 AUD) although retail is $1,000 more than that.

It descends really well, pretty lively, the reviews that say it's exactly the same as a regular bike are not accurate it still weighs 22 kg, but it does ride much lighter than the e- trance I rode, but my regular bike is literally half the weight and is understandably more playful.

But I think this is defintely a balance I can live with, if it was 5 kgs lighter I wouldn't complain but it is great fun to ride.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi, I have a VLT1, after one year with a Kenevo, for use in Italy, generally Finale Ligure, and nasty Liguria trails, the bike, for me, is amazing, poppy like a muscular and very fun to ride and with 630 wh of battery, I can ride, for a long time

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Hi, I have a VLT1, after one year with a Kenevo, for use in Italy, generally Finale Ligure, and nasty Liguria trails, the bike, for me, is amazing, poppy like a muscular and very fun to ride and with 630 wh of battery, I can ride, for a long time

Better than Kenevo going downhill in nasty and rocky terrain? For example in DH Men?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
was so set on a decoy until Inrode
Better than Kenevo going downhill in nasty and rocky terrain? For example in DH Men?

Hmmm interested in this as its the kenevo I’ve got now. Kenevo L is a bit small and XL a bit big. On paper sight vlt sits inbetween...

Please, tell us more....

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'm 188cm and I have the large. It does feel lighter than similar bikes, I think it's the short chain stay. I was set on a giant e trance but I could barely get the front wheel up and the large felt squishy like I was leaning over the bars. Sadly the was no XL to try.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy

are different bikes, the Kenevo is longer and more stable, but you ride like a dh bike a few years ago, the VLT is more playful and faster in the changes of direction, it seems to ride a lighter bike.
Going back to your question, on a hard trail like "dh-men" ( an authentic benchmark ), in the toughest passages, you can have a small advantage with the Kenevo, but as a full use, I definitely prefer the Sight VLT

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
are different bikes, the Kenevo is longer and more stable, but you ride like a dh bike a few years ago, the VLT is more playful and faster in the changes of direction, it seems to ride a lighter bike.
Going back to your question, on a hard trail like "dh-men" ( an authentic benchmark ), in the toughest passages, you can have a small advantage with the Kenevo, but as a full use, I definitely prefer the Sight VLT

If I got a sight VLT I’d run a -1 headset so that would put the wheelbase and head angle out to the same as a Large Kenevo anyway....

Would get a VLT2 and upgrade to fox 36 and better brakes. Would be sweeet.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
If I got a sight VLT I’d run a -1 headset so that would put the wheelbase and head angle out to the same as a Large Kenevo anyway....

Would get a VLT2 and upgrade to fox 36 and better brakes. Would be sweeet.
my first upgrade was a pair of formula cura 4 pistons brakes and 203 formula rotors, when I can want to buy a fox 36 factory 170 grip2 and a fox x2 factory two positions shock.

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
I would get the VLT2 too. It's the best option quality-price in my opinion with 630 Wh bat. But that Pike and simple shock, I think they need and upgrade apart from the brakes as well, XT 4 pots enough for me.
Maybe tune up the Pike and a Super deluxe shock. I don't know if the system is progressive enough to fit a coil shock
And 2.80 Magic Mary front/Hans Dampf rear 2,60. This would be my ideal fitting,and yes maybe a headset,currently 66 HA is a bit conservative for a Enduro rig

Last edited:

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Hey chaps, after lots and lots of reading and watching endless videos I've sort of set my heart on a Norco VLT. I've chopped and changed between a Commencal, Thok Mig R, Levo Carbon Comp but I really I like the look of the Norco.
Looking at the UK market I can only get the bottom and mid level bike which are £5,000 and £5,900 respectively from Evans Cycles. Is it worth stumping up the extra £900 for the mid model? The lower model has an E7000 motor (not a bad thing), 500w motor, Yari fork and basic brakes, the mid has Lyric, E8000 and bigger battery etc.
I don't mind upgrading some parts, that's not a problem I'm just torn between which to get.
Why is buying a new bike so difficult :ROFLMAO:

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Hey chaps, after lots and lots of reading and watching endless videos I've sort of set my heart on a Norco VLT. I've chopped and changed between a Commencal, Thok Mig R, Levo Carbon Comp but I really I like the look of the Norco.
Looking at the UK market I can only get the bottom and mid level bike which are £5,000 and £5,900 respectively from Evans Cycles. Is it worth stumping up the extra £900 for the mid model? The lower model has an E7000 motor (not a bad thing), 500w motor, Yari fork and basic brakes, the mid has Lyric, E8000 and bigger battery etc.
I don't mind upgrading some parts, that's not a problem I'm just torn between which to get.
Why is buying a new bike so difficult :ROFLMAO:

I ordered one in to the cheltenham store to look at (£50 refundable deposit to place the order).I ummed and arred a while as an L felt a touch small at 186cm / 6’1 and the guy said they could do 10% off so VLT2 for £5310.

IMO the VLT2 is very much worth the extra, if for nothing else than the bigger battery - something that will be tricky / very expensive to upgrade in the future. I think the VLT is the best bang for buck out of all 3 in the range.

I’ve decided to buy a different bike, mainly because it felt a bit small but I’d end up stripping most of the parts off it to how I want it.

Also bear in mind that if Evans goes bust, like it nearly did 6 months ago, you won’t have any support in the UK and would have to deal with Norco in Canada directly. This could prove very very expensive shipping back for warranty, if not impossible for battery issues. Hopefully they will be around for a while as its not a bad chain store - the staff in Cheltenham are very good.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
As the battery is built in I would definitely go for the model up, as you dont have the option of changing batteries - I saw one being built up at Evans Gatwick and its one of the best looking emts's in the flesh, and great reviews too

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
Thanks for the replies, interesting comment regarding the possible fragility of Evans, it's not something I'd factored in to be fair but it does need more consideration now. If I could get that 10% discount on the VLT 2 as well though I'd be all over it lol.
Out of interest which bike did you eventually go for?

Apr 25, 2019
Perth Western Australia
Hi Beezerk I'm in Australia not the UK but I can't imagine Norco not having a replacement dealer in the UK should something untoward happen to Evans. I have the VLT2, we only have the 1 and 2 here. I am planning on replacing the brakes sooner rather than later.Ihave guide R's on my non e mtb but am not a fan of the cheaper lever on the VLT2. A better lever might do it but I think I might try Maguras instead,maybe even Shiguras if I hate the levers. The suspension is fine for me and most reviews I have seen seem to indicate the same. It's almost the same as the suspension on my other bike.The other guys may be harder hitting than me, I do only weigh 65 odd kilos on a good day, that might help!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
TBH I am amazed Norco have stuck with Evans, must be some sort of watertight distribution deal. They make some of the best bikes out there, yet if you walk into an Evans you are lucky to see one on display

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
One more here!

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3438.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
TBH I am amazed Norco have stuck with Evans, must be some sort of watertight distribution deal. They make some of the best bikes out there, yet if you walk into an Evans you are lucky to see one on display
Was in the Guildford store recently. Not a Norco VLT in sight ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles