My Rail, Resting on Stuff

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Is that switzerland?

Yes, that is more or less central Switzerland, pre-alps, ~950m -- every angle here changes things, thus no big mountains to see from here as the lower ones in the valley block the view.

That valley, is on the right of the mountain seen in the middle from here (shot from July of this year):
fromthetop.jpg

Tony Bonanno

Nov 2, 2020
Santa Fe, NM USA
Greetings from Santa Fe, New Mexico. I'm new to the forum. Picked up my Rail 5 in August. Have a little over 500 miles on it as of today. I used to ride an old Cannondale Mtn Bike 25 years ago. Just getting back into it (I'm old, closer to 80 than 70). Loving it so far. I have made a few minor changes: ISM seat, Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear, upgraded rear derailleur from the SX to the GX, handlebar changed to a 7050 alloy 780mm, Bontrager Line Elite pedals (same color as frame). Most of my riding is on easy dirt trails with a few rocky and washed out sections. I'm fortunate to live close to Santa Fe's "Rail Trail" and not far from the Galisteo Basin Preserve (much more technical and challenging crossing the ridge). Pretty dry out here, but we do have some rain and snow (7000 feet elevation). Tubeless tires are a must as the thorny "goat heads" are tire killers. Most of the terrain is dirt and rocks. Very little moisture and mud. I'm still learning after many years without a bike. Already learning a lot about the Rail from this forum. I've had no issues with the bike at all. It's been very reliable so far.
IMG_0601.jpg

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Nice Rail I actually have the same one/color on order - curious what big changes are you reffering to? To the Rail?

Also how does the 1-up hold the Rail? - pretty secure?
hey nice choice. Im very happy with bike and colour so far. 85nm update is very noticeable.

the oneup rack is pretty mint. I only have the smaller hitch size, so it does move around it bit on the big bumps but still better than most other racks.
The all aluminum construction has been solid and no rust or issues so far with it.
Holds the rail same as any other 29er; perhaps a bit more movement from the heavier ebike but no worries

Changes:
E13 36T ring (if it fits)
Pawls and springs for 108 Poe upgrade
Shimano microspline free hub body and endcap
Knock block spacer for 35mm nukeproof stem
Shimano SLX chain & 10-51, XT der. & shifter
Maxxis aggressor 29x2.5WT DD
Maxxis DHF 2.5WT DD Maxxterra
Cushcore
Spank vibrocore 31.8 800, 30mm rise
Code rsc brakes (waiting on replacement levers)
220 rotors
Zeb ultimate 170
All mountain armour

selling the yari and sram drivetrain if anyone is interested. Located in Canada.

Last edited:

BLOJOE

Sep 2, 2020
USA
hey nice choice. Im very happy with bike and colour so far. 85nm update is very noticeable.

the oneup rack is pretty mint. I only have the smaller hitch size, so it does move around it bit on the big bumps but still better than most other racks.
The all aluminum construction has been solid and no rust or issues so far with it.
Holds the rail same as any other 29er; perhaps a bit more movement from the heavier ebike but no worries

Changes:
E13 36T ring (if it fits)
Pawls and springs for 108 Poe upgrade
Shimano microspline free hub body and endcap
Knock block spacer for 35mm nukeproof stem
Shimano SLX chain & 10-51, XT der. & shifter
Maxxis aggressor 29x2.5WT DD
Maxxis DHF 2.5WT DD Maxxterra
Cushcore
Spank vibrocore 31.8 800, 30mm rise
Code rsc brakes (waiting on replacement levers)
220 rotors
Zeb ultimate 170
All mountain armour

selling the yari and sram drivetrain if anyone is interested. Located in Canada.

Nice...

I know this was on my list: "Shimano SLX chain & 10-51, XT der. & shifter" and new tires but haven't decided on the tires yet..

jeroen

Jul 8, 2020
Switzerland
Just getting back into it (I'm old, closer to 80 than 70).

That is so awesome to read, or even better to see. Great that you got on a bike again! And yes, a Rail is a great bike, you'll love it!

I actually got into biking as I saw a few more wise men than me on non-ebikes (yes, with the mountains we have here, almost everything is a 100m quick hop up at least) and more getting on e-bikes riding along in the area here, and I thought... if they can do that, then it will be a good thing for me to start now, so that when I reach that age, I am able still able to go out with my kid and actually have the stamina to do so.

Hearing about ages in the 70+ range.... I am very much looking forward to keeping on biking and being able to get around :)

@Tony Bonanno thanks for the extra motivation!

(Especially in these dark days, winter, pandemic, US electio..... every white spot is helpful)

Tubeless tires are a must as the thorny "goat heads" are tire killers.

Tubeless saves rides :)

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
@bluewater87 would you mind posting back to confirm whether you got the 36T ring to fit? Looks like quite minimal clearance with a 34 so I'm curious to see how you get on

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
@bluewater87 would you mind posting back to confirm whether you got the 36T ring to fit? Looks like quite minimal clearance with a 34 so I'm curious to see how you get on
I tried fitting a 36t Aluminum e13 ring to my 9.7 XL, but it was way to close for comfort, see pic below. I could pretty much push the ring into the stay.

The trek website says the 9.7 comes with a sram 36T, but it is in fact 34T.

I am currently using a sram front ring, shimano back end, shimano chain with sram quick link. Seems to be working fine so far after ~30kms. the 34T E13 is on backorder...

F1300B92-8EE2-4C61-BB1C-3A4A0DD76CC7.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles