My First DIY - Gravel Bike w/TSDZ2

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
So it's not an eMTB but it does have MTB gearing and wheels... Poseidon Redwood gravel bike with Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid-drive.
I also added the Thudbuster LT seatpost and Kinekt's new suspension stem, which smooth out the ride but I'm not doing any rock gardens with this.
So far, so PHUN!

I got the TSDZ2 because I read some reviews that said it feels "natural" and compared it to Bosch's Performance Line - I disagree.
It's a "torque-sensing" motor, but nowhere near as refined as Bosch et al. But they don't offer conversion kits, and Bafang's mid-drives are too punchy for me. This is much less so.
I think it's a worthy motor for this application, but have some doubts about putting it on an MTB.
1608842389212.png

1608842411619.png

Last edited:

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
100+ "views" and one like? (Thank You Zimmer?)

I'm not ashamed to admit that I was hoping for a few more virtual pats on the back, but I guess gravel conversions have little appeal to the eMTB crowd :unsure:?‍♂️:sleep:

Although pride is a deadly sin, I'm still quite pleased with mice elf... ? It rides purty sweet

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think it has a really rugged purposeful look ! It's sort of Muscular yet athletic !

I also like how un-intrusive the Motor is visually for an add on. OK, you could mash it on a rock if you're really stupid, but with the short wheel base you'd have to be going some to find yourself in that situation on a gravel bike.

It just looks like RAW FUN ! You can't help bit imagine yourself bombing along like a manic sliding around on it. Top Job !!

Now if it was Purple .. @Rob Rides EMTB would have liked it ...

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
I think it has a really rugged purposeful look ! It's sort of Muscular yet athletic !

I also like how un-intrusive the Motor is visually for an add on. OK, you could mash it on a rock if you're really stupid, but with the short wheel base you'd have to be going some to find yourself in that situation on a gravel bike.

It just looks like RAW FUN ! You can't help bit imagine yourself bombing along like a manic sliding around on it. Top Job !!

Now if it was Purple .. @Rob Rides EMTB would have liked it ...
Thanks again, kind Zimmer! I actually ordered the bashguard and Eco Cycles sent it installed on the motor, but it's too tight under there on this particular bike, so I'll save the guard for my next conversion. That's likely gonna be a "hybrid" that whoever buys from me may just try hopping some logs etc. with...

The TSDZ2 is a great little low-profile motor, but I wouldn't call it muscular, LOL... Unless of course you're referring to the bike itself - its 27.5" (30mm inner) rims and 2.25" tires do give the bike a burly look, and it handles light singletrack pretty well.

I guess Rob Rides Purple People Eaters?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Here's the other side, taken on my stand as I prepare to install a 110 lb capacity Axiom Streamliner rack... almost looks like an oil can under there...
1609012341397.png

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Yeah but... that's Porche, my bike's more like the VW Thing ?
1609016712464.png

I slapped the rear Axiom rack on, which'll help carry a LOT of bikepacking gear, but now I need to find a reasonably priced front rack.
The Axiom's under $50 (got this one for $35) - a great deal for such a high-capacity rack - but they don't seem to make front racks, and the other ones I've seen cost too damn much... Any insights?
1609016617051.png

Seraye

Sep 8, 2020
Portland
Hi there! Nice looking gravel bike! I have also been considering converting my own gravel bike to electric. How are you liking the TSDZ2 so far? Did you purchase the kit through eco cycles? Is it the OSF 750 watts version? Have you been able to configure it for your ride style? Or are you happy with the configuration it came with? Is it quiet? (I have a Bosch CX - how does the sound compare to that?) anything you would do differently with your motor/battery set up? Thank you!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles